TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Tie-down Latches and Cotter Pins

Every time I close up my new TM, I get the urge to put a cotter pin or something in the 4 white corner tie-down latch buckles. I use a small padlock for storage, but I'm referring to while on the road.

I just get the feeling that few good bumps is all it would take to work one loose.

Anyone else do that? Anyone had a problem without them, other than serious off-road conditions? See any problem doing so (or better alternatives to a small cotter pin)?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Freedom

We used to put a small lock in each latch, but when they opened even with the lock in place we decided it was not worth the trouble. We just re-latch them when we make pit stops. I look at the driver's side and DW looks at the passenger side and re-latch as necessary.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
We used to put a small lock in each latch, but when they opened even with the lock in place we decided it was not worth the trouble. We just re-latch them when we make pit stops.
That's not reassuring...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Joseph

Smile Same urge . . .

I had to smile when I read your post. I have the same urge. I suppose a analyst could have fun with that. I always check and adjust the tension on those latches ( had the same type on my popup ) and for no real good reason other than it seems that I should, I use four small aluminum carbineers I picked up at Wally World. I have only owned the TM since January of this year with only a hand full of trips under my belt, but it did get bounced around a little on a FS road in Colorado with no ill effects ( Towed it very slow ) Come to think of it the FS road was not near as bad as the west approach to the Eisenhower/Johnson Memorial Tunnels on I-70! At any rate no problems to report to date. Happy Camping!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Bob&Karen

Actually, our dealer put four on for us prior to leaving the lot. It's something I never thought about with our previous one, but when he put them in I thought what a great idea!

Regards,

Bob
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I keep one of those mountain climbing thingies in each one, just so I feel better. I did not do that the first year. It never failed.

I adjust the tension every time I latch the corners.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Harry Womack

Default corner latches

Here is the old post. When I picked the trailer up at the dealer, they gave me 4 hitch pins to keep the latches from coming open. Trying to keep up with 4 pins at every campout was impossible. I installed a cable and a key ring spring loaded clip on all 4 latches. I am in the process of spring loading the catches so that they are always the right direction when folding the trailer. If they are the wrong direction when folding, they will bend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04129.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2175  
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Rich ...we felt the same way...and went into to spend the 25.00 gift cert. on locks or caribeners...Suncoast did not have any...

After a few minutes my dh went to my truck and came back with 4 zip ties and secured them that way....and we came home fine with it not opening (about 400 miles) ...then the next day he went to Ace and bought tiny locks...

A few weeks ago we camped in Ocala and had no trouble with them coming open...about 60/70 miles each way.

BTW...Tom went around the flat part through the hole with the zip strip...if you need a pic...we can redo one that way and email it to you.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
commodor47
Site Sponsor

The previous owner of our TM used "hair pin cotter" through each of the 4 corner latches. I just assumed they were standard issue. The cotter pins are the same size (length and diameter) as the pins used to secure the lift bracket when the spring bar is set on the Weight Distributing Hitch.

Here is an example of the "hair pin cotter" which should be available at any hardware store:

http://www.pivotpins.com/catalog/hair_pin.shtml
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Latches

I've got a problem with the part of the latch that is screwed to the top of the TM. I've pulled two loose from the TM. Perhaps I have tightened them too tight.
Anyone have this problem?
How do I reconnect them to the TrailManor? Epoxy + screws? :
Any ideas?
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote