TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Has everyone read their owner's manual?

Mine says:

If you are charging a remote (non-vehicle) battery, press the tow/haul mode button located at the end of the shift lever. This will boost the vehicle system voltage and properly charge the battery. If the trailer is too light for tow/haul mode, you can turn on the headlamps as a second way to boost the vehicle system and charge the battery.

So sayeth my 2008 GMC Sierra page 4-91 under Heavy-Duty Traile Wiring Harness Package

I do not have a manual for my 2002 Chevy Silverado because it was missing when I bought it used. So I do not know how that one is wired.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

That is very interesting. We don't have the Heavy-Duty Trailer Wiring Harness Package, but we usually travel with our lights on, mostly because I like to be able to look back to check out the trailer running lights and see if they're on. If they're on, it means that the Bargeman connecter is still connected and not dragging on the ground ( this has happened before).

On the way down to Pismo, we charged the TM batteries up before we left, and ran the frig on 12V all the way down, which took about 3 1/4 hours including stops (but I didn't turn on the frig fan). When we got there, I checked the voltage inside at the 12V Winegard outlet before we connected to shore power, and our digital voltage meter read 12.8, which is about as fully charged as they can get.

I thought our Trojan T-105's (they're 6+ years old now) were dying, but now they seem to be fully charging again. I think that I may have filled up the cells with too much water (?) and I haven't filled them in a while, but the level now is just about 1/2" above the metal and they are getting (and staying) better charged.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
PopBeavers

When was the last time you ran a desulfate and equalize charge on your batteries? I run it once a year.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Has everyone read their owner's manual?

Mine says:

If you are charging a remote (non-vehicle) battery, press the tow/haul mode button located at the end of the shift lever. This will boost the vehicle system voltage and properly charge the battery. If the trailer is too light for tow/haul mode, you can turn on the headlamps as a second way to boost the vehicle system and charge the battery.

So sayeth my 2008 GMC Sierra page 4-91 under Heavy-Duty Traile Wiring Harness Package

I do not have a manual for my 2002 Chevy Silverado because it was missing when I bought it used. So I do not know how that one is wired.
Hello Wayne,

I don't have such a button in my TV(2005 Toyota 4Runner). Do you use yours and does it increase your charging in the TM. Can you measure the increase?

Always curious about new features!

Take care,

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Phil - Well with that kind of battery capacity, you will be fine. I would have chosen your route with those beasts. Where do you have them mounted? Do you have any pics by any chance?

Dave
Dave,

I have a 2008 2720TM. I mounted the batteries outside in the steel angle cage just forward of the front shell. This is where the one battery supplied with the TM was mounted. The two new batteries just fit in the factory cage. I did have to bolt a board to the underside of the cage to give added support and strength to the cage.

I don't have any good pictures of them - just not something I have pictured. I would be happy to take some if you are really interested.

Take care,

Phil
Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Philip

Quote:
When was the last time you ran a desulfate and equalize charge on your batteries? I run it once a year.
Wayne,

I have not equilized my batteries as yet. They are less than a year old.

Take care,

Phil
Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I don't have any good pictures of them - just not something I have pictured. I would be happy to take some if you are really interested.

Take care,

Phil
Hi Phil,

Pictures would be great when you get a chance. Not rush. It's something I might consider doing at some point.

Thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
If the trailer is too light for tow/haul mode, you can turn on the headlamps as a second way to boost the vehicle system and charge the battery.
Interesting thought. My Explorer does not have a Tow/Haul button, of course. I wonder if simply turning on the lights would boost the charge rate from my Explorer to the TM. I can almost talk myself into it ... I'll try it when I get a chance, and post the result.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #19
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Hello Wayne,

I don't have such a button in my TV(2005 Toyota 4Runner). Do you use yours and does it increase your charging in the TM. Can you measure the increase?

Always curious about new features!

Take care,

Phil
I use tow/haul all the time when towing because:

1. it makes better choices when shifting than it does if I do not use it.

2. Besides automatically shifting upwards as I accelerate, as all automatic transmissions do, it also will automatically down shift when I apply the brakes.

I have never measured the voltage at the connector to see if it is different. maybe this weekend, now that I am also curious how much it increases.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #20
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Hi Phil,

Pictures would be great when you get a chance. Not rush. It's something I might consider doing at some point.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

Will do, when I get a chance.

Take care,

Phil