TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
DC Randy

Default CO detector in 08 2720SL

Hi all. As some of you might have read, I picked up my new TM this past weekend and all went well with the exception of the CO monitor. It seemed to be ok after going through it's start up cycle (this is connected to campground power).

However, after about 20 mins or so, it went into the red/green flash with annoying beeps every 30 secs. I understand that if that battery onboard is not fully charged it will cause that (very annoying). BUT, we pulled the TM for almost 6 hours, AFTER being hooked up to full campground power for about 16 hours.

Unfortunately, it got so bad that I unscrewed the detector and cut the wires.

I"ve called the factory and they've asked me to send it in. I guess my BIG concern is: what if your onboard battery power is dead..what if you are not camping where you have AC nor DC...and there is a CO leak?

I'm thinking of opting out for a FULL battery powered unit (e.g, like the ones in a smoke detector). I can't go through this beeping each time waiting for the battery to charge up! I had RV neighbors VERY close and I know they could hear it.

THoughts?

Thanks
Randy
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
BrigCA61

I wish I could help... we had the same situation and ended up cutting the wires... I don't know why it is so sensitive but we couldn't deal with it either. I'm aware that if you use hair spray it will go off, but it would go off as soon as we got to the site and the battery was full also and there was no gas even turned on yet. I guess we are going to have to buy a new one and we'll make sure it's a combination smoke/co detector, battery operated. I've not heard anyone else really mention any problems with it like we're having so maybe we just happened to get a really sensitive one or perhaps faulty.

Brigitte
Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
BobRederick

I have had the problem with my propane detector going off. It whistles for days without ending. Neighbors have asked me if my RV was ok as it was in my back yard at the time. One time I thought it was due to storing the CampaChem in the cabinet with the sensor, but I don't know what does it. When it goes off, the best thing is to blow the "Lil' Brick" heater on it (operating as a fan) as it takes a long time before it finally stops alaming. My unit has a button to press to stop the alarm, but it goes off again in about 10 or 15 minutes.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
BrigCA61

Bob, now that I think back, that happened to us too... got a call from the neighbor across the street about the siren in the RV. It's been awhile since we cut the wires so I forgot about that incident.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I disconnected ours a year or so ago when it went bad. It wouldn't go off upon testing (but it used to), and I figured, why have the battery draw if it's not working? I haven't replaced it. We've camped for years in RV's without one and we've all survived. The only time it's gone off was when a campground neighbor was idling his truck and we had the door open, and when the old battery got too low. If we were to prepare our TM for sale, I'd replace it.

However, if yours is under warranty, I'd get it fixed.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
PopBeavers

Mine has never beeped, except the few times when I have pressed the test button.

Between the CO and propane detectors, at lest one of them beeps every time I open or close the bathroom walls, because of the switch in the wall.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

I put the bathroom wall up early this summer and the alarm immediately went off. Propane was turned off for several weeks. It refused to silence even with "percussive maintenance". I too cut the wires. I do miss the chirp that tells me power is connected to the back.

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
DC Randy

Yeah if the "mute" button had worked, I "might" have been ok. But...that didn't even help. I understand the importance of having one, so as I mentioned, the wires will remain cut, and I'll get a battery operated one instead.

Thanks all
Randy