TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2001, 01:35 AM   #1
Chris_Bauer

Default Backing Up

Many people have made comments about "backing up" to their TM and practice being a good idea.  I don't if this has been mentioned before but it is worth repeating.  As a new TM owner (also new to RVing) I had had a lot of difficulty backing up as well as connecting the truck to the TM.  I went to a local parking lot one morning and practiced backing up between the lines.  This helped me get a good handle on backing up and making turns in reverse.

Also, I put a flourescent dot on the trim that comes down the middle of the roof toward the front of the TM and I measured the tailgate of my pickup and put a flourescent tape (small, attractive yet big enough to see) in the middle so that I can align the truck and the TM.  Two weeks ago we went to San Antonio and I backed up and connected the hitch on the first try. I could see the line and the dot align as I backed up through my rearview mirror.  Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:24 AM   #2

Default Re: Backing Up

Excellent idea. I just love this site, and all of it's creative members!!!
Old 09-13-2001, 09:31 AM   #3

I am one that cannot back the TM like I am suspose to.  I have tried and tried and tried again. I just got back from a trip to the Myrtle Beach Travel Park.  I drove over 1800 miles over the hugh mountains, through all kinds of traffic, rush hours, back roads, and you name it, I drove it and did an excellent job.  Until I got home and had to back it into a parking spot off of our alley..I got it half way in but had to call my son in to finish it up.  I am going to go to a empty lot also and practice.  I can back the truck and connect to the hitch just fine, its just backing the TM into its cubby hole I have problems with.   As for this travel park it is really a nice place to go. We met new friends there. Had to show off our little home to 2 different people. The security guard saw one a few days before but didn't see inside so asked me to let him see it if I didn't mind.  Of course, I was glad to show it off.  the other man is wanting to buy a different camper, (he has one with the canvas extentions) I let him in and he sure was amazed at it.  His wife came over later to check it out and really liked it.  They are going to see a dealer to  check them out.  Also this travel park in right on the ocean between those great big hotels.  If any one is interested in the park, check out  [email protected]     Also, I'm proud to be an American and I am praying for the familys who have lost loved ones in this awful disaster in N. Y.       Betty
Old 09-13-2001, 04:52 PM   #4

Some of my thoughts, Betty.

I've been backing trailers for very many years, and I recall it was easier when I looked over my shoulder. If you try using the mirrors you'll just be more confused.

Now another trick I was once told is when backing up, the trailer will turn the same direction as the BOTTOM of the steering wheel.

You mentioned you need to back your trailer into a cubby hole. I park our trailer either in the garage (a tight fit) or along side the house (impossible to do with the truck because of walls, gates, and the house). So I broke down and bought a PowerCaster. I also use this unit (with a portable generator) to spin the trailer in a tight circle on our remote property. If you stress over parking your trailer in a tight spot regularly, you might look into one. Beware they aren't cheap. To us, though, we wouldn't be without it.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:10 PM   #5

If you have trouble backing into a tight space you might look into installing a hitch on the `front' of the vehicle. You won't believe how much easier it is to `back up' looking directly at the trailer.
I have had one for several years and wouldn't want to be without it. It is called a `Wag Hitch' which, I believe, has since stopped being manufactured.
But there must be another way to get the hitch on the front.

Dick B
Old 10-01-2001, 09:30 AM   #6

The list price on the Powercaster is $795.  OUCH!
Old 10-01-2001, 03:19 PM   #7

[glow=red,2,300]
Quote:
The list price on the Powercaster is $795.  OUCH!
[/glow]

... I said they aren't cheap! ;D  But if something like this didn't exist, I would not have been able to buy the trailer.   We just figured it into our budget.

If it means you can keep the trailer in your garage, and saves you a monthly storage fee of $50 to $100 a month, or if you have some special requirements such as our need to spin the trailer on a small dirt pad -- there would be no way to get the trailer off our remote property otherwise -- it will be well worth it.

Jon
Old 10-02-2001, 08:06 AM   #8

My brother hauled re-bar for years, always got his trailer EXACTLY where he wanted and always told me to look back over my shoulder when backing up. I still follow this advice, move the trailer by feel and look more than trying to figure out if I want to go left or right and it works really well for me! On my recent trip I was ALL ALONE when it came time to hitch up the car and trailer--it took me ten minutes using bike flags to mark the center of the hitch (an idea I saw mentioned on another website) I then marked the center of my rear deck window with a bit of tape. When the two matched, I was only inches off and just eased the van until it all lined up. If I could remove the crank from my tongue jack, I could leave my gate open and line it all up much more quickly. Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the tongue jack post so that the crank will come out? Ours looks to me like it does not remove, is meant NOT to be removed in fact, and there is probably a good reason for this of which I am not aware given the fact I am so new at this, but it would sure make hitching up a piece of cake if I could leave the gate open.

PS--the "hitch on the front bumper" seemed like a great idea to me, but I was told that my van will not accept a front hitch so I had to give up on that great little scheme.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:03 AM   #9

Firefly,

In time, hitching up will become less of an issue.  However, I have a gadget that helped me match up the hitch of my van to the tongue of the TM when I first started out.  It still comes in handy from time to time. It's called a Tongue Twister Model #28100, manufactured by BAL. It simply is inserted under the jack's post and allows lateral adjustment of six to eight inches.  If interested you can take a peek.  It's at it the following web site:

http://www.norcoind.com/bal

George      

Old 10-02-2001, 11:12 AM   #10

George, you are so kind to point out this product--I am REALLY interested in it; went to the Norco website but could not find any other  details like dealers, price, how to obtain the Tongue Twister--it does look like exactly the thing I need for when I have to camp alone so any added information you might have would be extremely helpful.  (I live near Atlanta, GA so am hopeful they might have a dealer there.)Thanks so much,  firefly