TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2003, 08:09 AM   #1
sheepdogs

Default Repair Kit

As I read through this forum, there are a lot of suggestions made as to how to fix things, replace fuses, change tires, etc.

However, there is no mention of a repair kit or the componments one would recommend to be included in such a kit, which could be contained in a small plastic tool box.

I would like some recommendations for a tool kit that one could take for camping trips that would avoid the usual scramble if there is a problem.

Also, there is mention of a second battery capacity in the Trailmanor's instructions. Is this a good thing to have? and where does one put it, wire it, etc.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Repair Kit

[quote author=sheepdogs link=board=2;threadid=1352;start=msg9482#msg9482 date=1064239782]
I would like some recommendations for a tool kit that one could take for camping trips that would avoid the usual scramble if there is a problem.
[/quote]I actually carry two toolkits - one for mechanical tasks and repairs, one for electrical.

You can imagine most of the standard things that go into a toolkit. A couple sizes of straight and Phillips screwdrivers, some pliers, wrenches, a small hammer. Just make up what you would use at home.

It might be more useful to talk about the things that you might NOT have in your home tool kit. For example - if you have a flat tire, you need two things that you may not have. One is a bottle jack (hydraulic jack). The TM does not come with a jack, and your car's bumper jack won't work. So buy a small bottle jack and toss it in the rear bumper compartment.

Once you have the TM jacked up, you find you can't get the wheel off until you remove the fender skirt. And like many parts of the TM, the fender skirts are attached with square-drive screws. Got a set of square-drive screwdrivers? If not, get 'em.

I carry a socket set. I haven't encountered any metric bolt sizes in the TM, but WalMart has a nice inexpensive socket set with both English and metric sockets, for (as I recall) less than $10. It is in a green canvas zip-up case, and carries nicely.

Make sure you have spare 12-volt fuses for every fuse you can identify. Most are the automotive flat-blade fuses - get some rated at 10 amps, 15 amps, and 20 amps. The 12-volt main fuse is unique - a 30-amp glass tubular (cartridge) fuse. Until you can replace that fuseholder with an automotive type, be sure you have a couple spare fuses for this location.

A 12-volt test light is handy. So is a multimeter or DVM. Spare bulbs for the interior and exterior lights. I carry a 10-foot length of #10 insulated wire, along with an assortment of crimp terminals, and a crimp tool. A wire cutter/stripper. Some wire nuts, assorted sizes. A dozen nylon cable ties, various lengths.

Two or three sizes of stainless-steel worm-type hose clamps. Duct tape. A box-cutter type of retractable knife.

A 12-volt air compressor? Latex gloves. Baby wipes. A small can of 3-in-1 oil for the springbars, and a toothpaste-size tube of white grease to lube the hitch ball. A cordless drill and 1/4" Allen wrench to crank the stabilizers.

Obviously, the list can go on and on, and you need to tailor it to your own preferences. I think we have had a couple threads on the topic, but I can't find them at the moment. Perhaps someone else can provide a pointer to the list(s).

And of course, experience will make you wiser.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

I carrry everything on Bill's list plus:
1. A small portable air compressor that runs off the ciggie lighter/power plug in my TV. Flat tire or low tire is no problem.
2. My Reese Weight Distributing Hitch uses a funny shaped (kind of a semi-closed rectangle) pin to secure the chain hooks in the up position. These pins are really easy to misplace unless you're really conscientious about keeping them in the hooks every time you hookup or remove the WDH's bars. Hence I carry a spare set in my toolbox.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:57 AM   #4
sheepdogs

These suggestions are really great. Next time I go to the RV store, I will fill the shpooing list of the items mentioned. And any more that ae added by other members.

I also noted that two types of fuses are needed, maybe a Radio Shack volt meter, extra battery for the propane dector.

How about a CO detector if the heater vent malfuntions?

How about a 10 gage extention cord with appropriate adaptors?
Old 09-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Sheepdogs,

You don't need an extra battery for the propane detector. It runs off of the house battery.

You could use a spare 9v battery for the smoke detector.

CO detectors are useless in the TM and other RVs, they will alarm every time the gas stove is used. They are usually marked: "Not for use in an RV".

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #6
dennisu

in addition to the suggestions noted above, i carry a 20' cord adapter for the air compressor. having one that is only long enough to plug into the tm is not the best solution for a flat on the road unless you want to raise the tm to get to the lighter plug. a long cord allows you to reach without having to unhook from the tv. also, i never carry my owners manual in the tm, always in the tow vehicle along with the tools.

dennisu
Old 10-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #7
efelker

I took all the ideas above and colsolidated them into a checklist format. I then added the repair kit to an old checklist I had developed with TrailManor Tips. Here is that updated checklist with the tool/repair kit added. Hope Bill & dennisu don't mind my using their great ides.

Ed
Old 10-01-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=efelker link=board=2;threadid=1352;start=msg9755#msg9755 date=1065027062]
I took all the ideas above and colsolidated them into a checklist format. I then added the repair kit to an old checklist I had developed with TrailManor Tips. Here is that updated checklist with the tool/repair kit added. Hope Bill & dennisu don't mind my using their great ides.
Ed
[/quote]

Ed,
This is the type information that should go into the FAQ.
MJL
Old 10-01-2003, 11:24 AM   #9
efelker

Mike:

What do you think about me posting each checklist under the FAQ based on the topic they cover?

Ed
Old 10-01-2003, 11:39 AM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Go for it!