TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
l&cnewell

Default Interior Mounting Hardware Anchors?

Hi all!

Back on 2010 harveyrv recommended these jack nuts for mounting/attaching items to the walls.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2759.l1259

Can someone please verify if these are the correct size jack nuts for the TM walls? I want to order them right away along with the tool, however, there are also many other sizes and don't want to order the wrong size for the 1" TM walls. Other than it indicates a size, I have have no clue what all the numbers actually mean (i.e., #10-24x0.91").

For a few holes I wanted to have the screw head stick out of the wall less than 1/4" as I will be using them for hanging some shelves and will obviously need to be able to take the shelves on and off the walls but not have to remove the screws each time as well.

Also, what size screws am I supposed to use to screw inside the jack nuts???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Cindy
2003 TM 3124KB
l&cnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cindy -

10-24 is the screw size - actually, it is the threads inside the jack nuts, and you buy matching screws. The 0.91" is probably the minimum screw length that will reach the threaded part of the jack nut. Of course you do not want to use a screw that is longer than the inside thickness of the wall.

To install the jack nut, you push the body of the nut through the hole in the wall, insert the screw into the center of the jack nut, and screw it down tightly. This collapses the strappy center part of the jack nut body, pulling the far end of the jack nut up tight against the inside of the wall, where it remains. Although you can remove the screw from the jack nut, it is not a good idea to do it repeatedly, and as you said, you don't really want to do it just to mount/dismount the shelves. So before you initially insert the screw into the jack nut, you need to run it through one half of a two-piece flush hanger hook or bracket. This piece will then be held against the wall by the head of the jack nut. It is this bracket that will hold your removable shelves. If your TM has one of the hanging cabinets (over-sink or over-stove), they hang from the kind of two-piece hanger you are looking for.

These flush hangers are readily available in any number of places. For example, Amazon has a number of them - enter "flush hanger" in the Search box. You can spend more money by going to Lowe's (Item #334848 Model #121158 - the picture is bad) or Ace Hardware (same crummy picture, Item no. 5329958 Model 121158). I'm sure Keith Wire can recommend some sources.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
l&cnewell

Thank you for the information, Bill! So are you saying that the Jack nut that is indicated in the eBay link is the correct size?

I intend to also purchase the jack Nut tool that will crimp the nut before inserting a screw.

The eBay listing doesn't indicate if it includes the screw that fits inside, so I guess I'll need to go to my True Value to get them.

The shelves are small and lightweight, but I do not want to mount them with 3m hooks. Living in Southern Arizona, 3m hooks and Velcro eventually melt off during the summer, so having more permanent hanging solutions are better for us.

Cheers,
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Cindy -

10-24 is the screw size - actually, it is the threads inside the jack nuts, and you buy matching screws. The 0.91" is probably the minimum screw length that will reach the threaded part of the jack nut. Of course you do not want to use a screw that is longer than the inside thickness of the wall.

To install the jack nut, you push the body of the nut through the hole in the wall, insert the screw into the center of the jack nut, and screw it down tightly. This collapses the strappy center part of the jack nut body, pulling the far end of the jack nut up tight against the inside of the wall, where it remains. Although you can remove the screw from the jack nut, it is not a good idea to do it repeatedly, and as you said, you don't really want to do it just to mount/dismount the shelves. So before you initially insert the screw into the jack nut, you need to run it through one half of a two-piece flush hanger hook or bracket. This piece will then be held against the wall by the head of the jack nut. It is this bracket that will hold your removable shelves. If your TM has one of the hanging cabinets (over-sink or over-stove), they hang from the kind of two-piece hanger you are looking for.

These flush hangers are readily available in any number of places. For example, Amazon has a number of them - enter "flush hanger" in the Search box. You can spend more money by going to Lowe's (Item #334848 Model #121158 - the picture is bad) or Ace Hardware (same crummy picture, Item no. 5329958 Model 121158). I'm sure Keith Wire can recommend some sources.

Bill
2003 TM 3124KB
l&cnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I don’t think jack nuts require a tool, the screw is the tool. You might be referring to riv-nuts, which are like a rivet with a threaded insert.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by l&cnewell View Post
Thank you for the information, Bill! So are you saying that the Jack nut that is indicated in the eBay link is the correct size?
Cindy -

I'm not sure what you mean by "the correct size". These things come in any number of sizes, and you can use whatever size will meet your needs - primarily by the amount of weight they can carry. Think of it like a nail that you would pound into wall to hang a picture. Nails come in many sizes - is one of them a "correct" size? Probably not. My guess is that the one you linked to is a good size for the use you describe.

I agree with Shane - no tool is required other than a drill and a bit to make the properly-sized hole in the wall, and a screw driver to turn the screw.

Quote:
The eBay listing doesn't indicate if it includes the screw that fits inside, so I guess I'll need to go to my True Value to get them.
You will find that screws have a number of different head styles, and you will need to choose one. You will want one that is fairly thin, of course. If you Google "screw head style", you will see pictures. You probably do not want a flat head. A good choice, and most commonly available, would be "pan head".

Quote:
The shelves are small and lightweight, but I do not want to mount them with 3m hooks. Living in Southern Arizona, 3m hooks and Velcro eventually melt off during the summer, so having more permanent hanging solutions are better for us.
Living in southern AZ, I understand exactly what you mean. It is amazing what the weather here does.

Cheers,
Cindy[/QUOTE]
Old 11-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Default Tool needed?

Tool? Shane, check me out here. As I look at the picture of the jack nut, I don't see the little teeth on the back of the head - the teeth keep the body of the jack nut from turning as you turn the screw. Without teeth, you need some other way to collapse and clinch it.

With a jack nut, the tool collapses (squishes) the device before you insert the screw, much like a pop-rivet tool you mentioned. Without the tool, I'm not sure how you would clinch it.

Tool:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blind-Jack-...oAAOxy4c5Rvnr-

I was thinking of a hollow wall anchor, which is very similar except for the teeth.
https://www.truevalue.com/100-pk-1-8...t-wall-anchors
https://www.acehardware.com/departme.../anchors/51808

Cindy, you might want to consider these, and save the cost of a special tool that you will never use again. They are available everywhere.

Bill
Old 11-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
prodesign

just for my understanding since new to the units...
the walls are 1" think? i'm assuming they are composite w/ an aluminum shell on the outside w/ fiberglass on the inside?

2020 2720QS
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
prodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Thin aluminum sheet as a skin inside and outside, bonded/glued to a foam slab inside.

Not sure of the overall thickness - I'll check later today if no one else chimes in.

Bill
Old 11-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

My mistake. I was thinking of something different... Threaded inserts? They have teeth that bite the surrounding material.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

I am not sure what advantage jack nuts have over hollow wall anchors or riv-nuts. Anybody know? The only thing I can find online is that jack nuts are designed for assembly line use, probably meaning that the threaded jack-nut tool is somehow easier or faster to use in a mass-production environment. But I can find no details.

My personal conclusion is that I wold avoid jack nuts, because of the special tool required, and because I don't understand why to use them.

Bill

Tags
anchors, hardware, jack nuts, mounting