TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Prowler54

Default Old tail lights to new LED

I just bought a new set of LED tail lights for my 30/23TM. My old lights have 2 yellow, 2 green and 1 red wire. The new LED's have 1 red, 1 black and 1 white wire which is the ground on the light. Can anyone tell me how the new LED's should wire up?
Old 10-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Prowler -

In the following, note the difference between the words "lamp" and "bulb". They are not the same.

According to the diagram in the TM Owner's Manual - check your copy - the wires coming out of the trailer skin are as follows. Coming to the left assembly are 2 green wires (connected together to form one active conductor), two yellow wires (again connected together to form one active conductor), and a red wire, for a total of 3 active conductors. The right assembly also has three active conductors coming to it - green, yellow, and brown. In each case, green is the running lamp, and yellow is the backup lamp. On the left, the red wire is the brake/turn signal lamp - on the right, the brake/turn lamp is the brown wire. Ground is through the trailer skin, and does not have a separate wire.

This means that in the original configurarion, each assembly has 3 lamps - running lamp, backup lamp, and brake/turn lamp. It should be noted that the brake/turn lamp and the running lamp are not in separate bulbs, but are a single two-filament bulb. This means that when you look inside the assembly, you will see only two bulbs holding the three lamps.

Since the white wire is ground in your new LED assembly, leaving only two active wires, it appears that it has only two lamps. This means that it is not a retrofit for the old assembly. My guess (and it is only that) is that the LED assembly has a lamp for the brake/turn function, and a lamp for the running lamp function, but no backup lamp. You need to go back to the source of your LED lamps, and try to find the correct 3-lamp replacement.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Prowler54

Thanks Bill. The new LED's are a single bulb. I've sent a message to the supplier and I'm waiting for a response from them. I appreciate the help.