TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
cimsue

Default water heater not heating water

Hi folks,

Upon opening the TM for the season, the waterheater does not heat the water. The power supply is switched "on" inside the water heater storage compartment. The undersink switch is "on" and red light on (above the words "reset". Is there a fuse related to the water heater? When we opened the TM, the red light on front of sink was on and the fresh water system was not yet filled with water. Do you think we have damaged the water heater? It worked fine when we closed up last. Any trouble shooting ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The water heater has two different heating elements, and they are independent of each other.

The electric heating element is controlled by the switch in the outside compartment. If it was on, and you had the TM plugged into shore power, and there was no water in the heater, then you burned out the element. It will need to be replaced, which is not too hard and not too expensive. Use the search tool to find the directions.

The gas heating element is controlled by the switch on the front apron of the kitchen sink. The red light indicates that it is trying to light the gas flame (it lights automatically) but hasn't yet succeeded. If the gas was turned off at the tanks, that is the reason.

Neither heater should be activated when there is no water in the heater.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
cimsue

Since I did plug in the shoreline prior to filling the tanks and the switch in the water heater panel was on, I suppose I burned up the element. Thanks for the info, Bill. I will be sure to coordinate my "opening up" steps better next time. And I'll put the cotter pin in the switch in the off position when closing up.

Sue
Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Scott O

The first thing I have the inside setup person (wife) do after I connect the water is to turn on the hot water in the sink until it flows without sputtering. Then I know the water heater is full and it is OK to power it up.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
The first thing I have the inside setup person (wife) do after I connect the water is to turn on the hot water in the sink until it flows without sputtering. Then I know the water heater is full and it is OK to power it up.
I use the shower head on "Hot" and let the water run into the toilet (before charging the toilet) to purge the air out of the water heater. That way, no water is wasted.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I always leave home with the water heater full the fresh water tank full and the toilet charged.

Even for the rare circumstance where I stay at an RV park or a campground with water, sometimes the water is shut off or non-potable. I like having my own reliable water with me.

After all, it is a self contained trailer.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
EAKlebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The water heater has two different heating elements, and they are independent of each other.

The electric heating element is controlled by the switch in the outside compartment. If it was on, and you had the TM plugged into shore power, and there was no water in the heater, then you burned out the element. It will need to be replaced, which is not too hard and not too expensive. Use the search tool to find the directions.

The gas heating element is controlled by the switch on the front apron of the kitchen sink. The red light indicates that it is trying to light the gas flame (it lights automatically) but hasn't yet succeeded. If the gas was turned off at the tanks, that is the reason.

Neither heater should be activated when there is no water in the heater.

Bill
Is this true for all TM?s. I tried heating the water, but I could find NO electrical element nor a switch on the outside. By chance I activate the propane heater. Did the 1999 3023 TMs have electrical water heaters or only propne?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAKlebe View Post
Did the 1999 3023 TMs have electrical water heaters or only propne?
They only had propane, just like my 2000 2720SL. Electric heating elements didn't become standard until several years later......I don't know when exactly, maybe 2004-2005? Someone here may know for sure.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Jim&Joan

Default 2720SL 2004 - Both

Our 2004 has the electrical element in addition to the propane. It even works if you turn it on after you pull the safety clip off :-)
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
commodor47
Site Sponsor

The water heater in our 2003 unit has the electric option. Anyone with a 2002 have the electric option?

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote