TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
MattandBeth

Smile Pros and cons - to cover or not to cover

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just purchased our first Trailmanor 2720 recently and will be using outside storage for the warm half of the year [may to november]. We’ve heard both that you shouldn’t and that you should cover the trailer when not in use. I’d love to get some feedback from those of you who’ve been through this already. Cheers!
MattandBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
AngliaUSA

Default I always keep mine covered

Why would you not ? - the elements are so harsh on the paint, fiberglass and exterior components. Rain, snow, hail, the sun's UV rays etc etc.

I tried an expensive custom fit TM cover and it lasted 2 season before disintegrating, so now I just use tarps from Harbor Freight tools which cost a fraction of the cost and last just as long.

It is what it is, because it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8635.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	20271  
AngliaUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I'm think the same thing, but using 2 smaller tarps. This way it will be easier to open without completely removing the tarps or having to fold one tarp back. I spent a ton of money on a nice custom tarp. We will see how it goes. I haven't covered mine yet and I should have by now.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
Peterbug

Default Trees and Critters and Moisture Management

1. If you have trees over the camper, you will have regular deposits of fine tree sap and possibly tannins from leaves in the fall. Sap holds dust, dust feeds green growing light utilizers commonly called algae. Regular cleaning will be required to keep it looking good. Covers can be the sacrificial protector of the painted surface, and are considered a 'wear item' to be replaced on a basis determined by the level of biological challenges being thrown onto your particular location.
2. Covers protect from UV ray damage and algae, but they sometimes hold IN the moisture when temp and humidity changes bring moist vapor into the interior, as well as small leaks. A dry cement parking location helps reduce the moisture coming up from the soil, but does not prevent all moisture. Finding a cover that breathes, and fitting your cover with breathing room can reduce the time that moisture stays on the surface between the cover and the camper. 2,000 years ago the Roman architect Vetruvius specified an air gap between a building's cladding and the interior air barrier, and modern engineer Joseph Lstiburek reminds us to always design the drying process well. Look for ways to have a 3/8" gap between your camper and the cover and you will have much better and regular drying. Dark colors on the cover will also aid in accumulating a little heat for winter drying. I have seen people use foam pipe insulation (pool noodles) under the cover, full thickness in the center and tapered as ribs to the edge of the camper, with an inch of overhang to hold cover off of the side. One super noodle down the center like a keel. The fancy 'breatheable' covers assist with this drying, but they do also tend to collect more dust as they are not shiny like a waterproof tarp.
3. "It's always SOMETHIN" - Covers with air gaps assist with moisture, but also provide shelter for critters. Wasps love to camp, as do mice. The defenses range from static barriers to active surveillance and remediation. Just as parents and babies benefit if the parent has a loving song to sing while changing diapers and doing laundry, campers need a camping song to sing while regular surveillance and maintenance is performed. Welcome to the world of people who own their campers instead of renting campers. Take solace in your self-sufficient camper lifestyle. And always plan for a wasp nest to be under the next hatch or flap.
Not Yet Lift Kit, Not Yet 15 inch tires
Peterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
mickmanor

Default I use a tarp method -

I have used a tarp outside for 2 campers over the last 10 years, and it works good.
This is the first winter for the TM, and I just put a tarp over it, see pics.

The tarp is clearly stated as waterproof, and it is 10 mill thick.
Size is 20' x 35'. I watched a youtube video that showed how to fold over the
sides to the center, and then roll/fold it up. Then I carefully lifted/worked it
up to the back roof of the TM with an 8' stepladder. I used a padded push pole
to roll it forward over the TM from the stepladder. I put plastic milk crates on top of each shell,
under the tarp. The 2 light ropes hold it in place, due to the shell shape.
The TM door still opens after removing the rope on the curb side, and access
exists to the complete exterior and interior for any purpose. I prefer the open
camper position for storage. The bathroom vent fan(computer fan) is left on.
I may add a small inside fan to help with some mild ventilation.

The tarp usually shows some signs of wear after two years, and is replaced.

Good luck with your storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMcover1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	20318   Click image for larger version

Name:	TMcover2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	5.48 MB
ID:	20319  
mickmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Is that open during storage? Hopefully you don’t get snow there?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote