TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
trailbiker

Default Planning a trip to South Carolina

My wife and I are planning a trip to South Carolina later this month. We are thinking about staying at Huntington Beach State Park. We plan on doing some kayak trips while we are there. Does anyone have anyrecommendations for camping or kayaking in this area. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
jill4paws

Huntington beach area is beautiful. If you go further south to Edisto beach or Huntington Island the are numerous areas to kayak in the salt marshes. If fact we saw two dolphin, mom & baby feeding there Tuesday. This area is know for kayaking . have a great time.
2009 Borrego 4WD
jill4paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill4paws View Post
Huntington beach area is beautiful. If you go further south to Edisto beach or Huntington Island the are numerous areas to kayak in the salt marshes. If fact we saw two dolphin, mom & baby feeding there Tuesday. This area is know for kayaking . have a great time.
I agree with the above - both Huntington Beach SP (S. of Myrtle Beach) and Hunting Island SP (E. of Beaufort) are both great. Huntington Beach is newer of the two with nice boardwalk to open ocean but not a lot of trees. Very friendly in my experience. Across from the park, a short distance, is Brookgreen Gardens which imo is a must-see. Myrtle Beach is touristy and Hgy 501 can be horrible on weekends and mid-day traffic. Going farther up on Hgy 17 across the NC line is a little town of Calabash, NC, where if you turn right in the center of town and go a short distance to the New River, you will find some REALLY excellent fresh seafood restaurants.

Hunting Island SP has a lighthouse that is fun but it might be undergoing renovations currently. Lots of trees if I remember correctly, but its been a while since I was there. Call the ranger before going to ask if the biting horseflys are abundant! Beaufort, the city, has the Paris Island Marine bootcamp with lots of Walmarts, fast foods, etc., but the waterfront area has a beautiful park and historical houses with lots of history.

Have fun!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
fallsrider

Just a bit of trivia....both NC and SC have towns on the coast named Beaufort. In NC, it is pronounced "Bo-fert". In SC, it is pronounced "Bew-fert".
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

If you go the other side of the river from Charleston towards GA there's James Island SP with lots of trees and full hookups and you are only 10 mins to downtown Charleston with great food and lots to see. When we visited Huntington SP, it was full of red ants. Just found a flyer for another place called Oak Plantation Campground, never stayed there but the flier looks good.

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote