TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
gadusfly

Default Hi!

Hello everyone! I am brand new to the world of travel trailers and after my research I am pretty convinced that the Trailmanor is the way I want to go. Let me apologize now for what will surely be a series of dumb questions. I think the 2720SL is the right size for myself, my wife and our 45lb poodle. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Tundra. I heard that upgrading the axle on the 2720SL to a 15" wheel is advisable for longer range trips. We plan to travel from Arizona to the east coast quite often. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated...Joe
Old 04-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

You can upgrade the tires and wheels without changing the axle if you wish. There haven't been any reports of axle failures, Just tire problem. You would still have only a 3500lb weight limit but unless you plan to load heavy you may not need the 5000lb axle. A "search" should find everything you'll need to know.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadusfly View Post
. . . We plan to travel from Arizona to the east coast quite often. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated...Joe
Welcome to the forum! Who knows, perhaps our paths will cross at some point. We have been traveling to AZ during the winter (late December to the end of February) for the past few years. The 2720 SL has worked out very well for us. Based on our experiences to date, I see no pressing need to upgrade the tire size. For two of those trips we had a travel Web site. The last site is now closed but the journal from our first year is still open.

http://www.mytripjournal.com/trailma...nture2004-2005

Leon is right . . . there is a wealth of information here, and there are no dumb questions.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Senorsedona

Talking Wheels

Hi!! I think you are making a good choice. I also believe you do not need the heavier axle. If you put on a lift kit you will be able to go to the larger rim & use a higher rated tire, plus you reduce the RPM which has a number of +++'s.

Good luck

Jack
Old 04-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
gadusfly

Thanks folks! I will do some more research before trying to change the axle. I just found the appropriate forum for technical questions so I'll be using that also. I like the fact that TM owners are so helpful and friendly. It makes getting into this so much easier....Joe