TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Default Axle Upgrade on new 2720SL?

Hi all,

I read on the Forum that you can request when ordering a new TM that they "Upgrade the Axle used on the 3023 with 15” wheels".

I'm planning on ordering a new 2720SL in a few weeks and it sounds like a good idea but I was wondering, has anybody actually done this? Were you happy?

Thanks, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Tonopah

My guess is that this will:
1. increase the weight of the 2720 somewhat, and of course also increase its carrying capacity -- so your tow vehicle needs to be matched accordingly.
2. the 2720 may jounce more, shaking things up inside more as you travel.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
pbuck1

While a certain peace of mind comes with the rig being somewhat overengineered, there's no evidence on this forum that I can find that indicates a strong reason to go with a larger axle. Certainly no axle failures have been reported. And, despite the math telling us that some extra load margin on those 14" tires might be a good idea, the tire failures reported on this site don't seem to suggest that 14" tires or 2720SLs (the heaviest of the 14" tire models and one of the most popular models overall) are any more prone to blowout than the 15" tires or the other models. Just an observation.
Of course, if you anticipate rougher than normal treatment and heavier than normal loads maybe it's a good idea.

-Paul
Old 09-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
camp2canoe

Default Axle upgrade

Remember that the upgrade will make your TM a little taller - this is a concern if you store indoors and have, as I do, limited garage door height. - Camp2Canoe
Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Default Hmmm...

Thanks all for the comments.

I've been considering this for our new 2720SL and I thought I'd ask if anybody had actually done the upgrade. There was a big thread here a couple of years ago where RockMtnRay was even considering retrofitting his older TM with the new axle and the 15" wheels.

Not sure what I'll do yet. I've yet to hear anybody who actually did the upgrade and what they thought about it.

Keith
Old 09-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
live2shopnc

I did it when I ordered mine and like the extra ground Clarence. Several here have said that it will be stiffer and bounce things around and shake things loose. I have not noticed either in mine. I also had the lift kit put on when I ordered. The extra height is not a problem for me.
Ed
Old 09-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Thanks live2shopnc,

I was going to get the lift kit too.

Couple of questions: 1) Did you reduce the tire pressure because of the lower load, and 2) What is the total height (I assume you have the AC).

Keith
Old 09-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
live2shopnc

I run the listed air pressure on the tire. (65pis I think is right). I leave it open in the yard and not sure what the closed height is. I need to wash it from the last trip and if I do this weekend I will measure it closed.
ED
Old 09-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Hondo

Look at the Trailmanor web site under specifications. According to the factory, the 3023 weighs less than 100 pounds more than the heaviest 2720, but with the larger axle and 15 inch tires you get 700 more pounds of weight carrying capacity. It would be logical that 15 inch tires would run cooler if you drive a lot of interstate.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Hondo,

Yes, the 3023 is only 50 lbs more that the 2720SL and the load capacity is 713 more lbs. I think I'll probably order the upgrade.

I hadn't thought about the tires running cooler. Is that because the 15" tires won't have to make as many revolutions?

Keith