TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-05-2003, 05:32 PM   #11

Default Re: Towing with a Ranger?

We bought the Ranger today - big grins all around  

A nice economical truck - we were surprised to find, reading stuff at the dealer's, that its listed towing capacity is more than the Explorer. The other surprise: The listed towing capacity referred to the 4.0 liter engine, although it was not clearly stated as such. The salesperson found that nugget in another publication, and had been assuming that the capacity referred to the most common engine, the 3.0 liter.

Thanks to your responses above, we were scrutinizing this issue with extra care. We had the dealer locate the 4x2 supercab with a 4.0 liter engine, so now we have the truck my husband wanted, and its listed towing capacity is 5860 lb.

Pam
Old 07-06-2003, 12:09 AM   #12
tipper

I remember several not so good experiences involving Ford Rangers and TMs... an flip over accident and a braking concern....

Do a search in this forum on Ranger.  

Sorry for the negative information especially in light your recent purchase.

Also based on my own experience with a 2720, my gut feel is that Ford Ranger is too small of a vehicle.  Please arrange to tow a TM around for a while before you purchase.  Perhaps the hitch setup can make an important  difference.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:48 AM   #13

Yes, a trial run is a good idea. By the time we are ready to make the TM investment, we may be ready to trade up the truck, too. Thanks for the caution...
Old 07-08-2003, 02:22 AM   #14
camperboy

Congrats on the Ranger! I have a 99 Supercab, 4x4, 4.0, auto. Your truck (assume new) is going to have a few more horses than mine. I tow a 1990 M26 (today's 3023) with mine. I have  no problems towing. Plently of power, braking, etc.

I use a Equalizer brand hitch (www.equalizerhitch.com) for load distributing and sway control. I am very pleased with the unit. I would not tow a TM without a weight distributing hitch with a Ranger, given the high tongue weight. Without it the front end feels light. Not a good thing.

I have towed from New Jersey through the Rockies (yes, over big passes). Never had any power problems over those passes. Yes, we went up the 7% multi mile grades at 35-40 but then that was the speed limit too. On the interests in the west we'd hold close to 70 mph without problems. Get a good brake controller, something like the Prodigy. I have had several close calls with people cutting in front of me or nearly side swiping me trying to do the same and despite swerving to avoid a collision and fully applied brakes the TM always behaved like champ behind the Ranger. I think that you will be happy with your combo.

Remember that even though some folks may think that Ranger is too little truck to tow a TM, many here are towing with even less capable minivans.

If you have ??s please ask.

Good Luck!
Camperboy

Old 07-09-2003, 12:44 PM   #15
shunter917
Site Sponsor

I tow a 2001 3023 loaded with all the goodies behind my 2000 Ranger SuperCab. Have never had a problem and usually blow by everyone else doing 30 on (small) hills.

The one thing I did do was add air springs. The WDH worked, but I wasn't happy with it. I spent about $250 for the air springs and won't look back. Gave me better mileage, too.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:08 PM   #16

Hey, it's great to hear from you two that are actually towing with the Ranger. Very encouraging! Thanks for the tips.

Pam