TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2003, 03:31 AM   #1
chvaka

Default Trailer Brake Controller

I need to purchase a trailer brake controller for my 2000 chevy silverado 1500.  I own a TM 3023.  Anyone have suggestions on which one I should purchase?  My Silverado has a plug under the dash for the controller.  Do the controllers just plug right into it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:15 AM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re: Trailer Brake Controller

I always error on the side of safety, I took my truck to a trailer shop and ask them to select and install one. Then I talked about their selection. While there I also ask if there were other things I might need to know about towing or the tow truck. Three hours later I felt as if I could do this with no problems. The trailer shop I went to do mostly works on ranch or boat/sky doo trailers. These guys knew their business! I figure if I'm going to change lifestyles I had better start making contacts that can be useful for the new adventure.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:37 AM   #3
Cateye
Cateye

http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html

This is the only controller to buy....I replaced my existing controller with the Prodigy and found that stops were not only smooth and efficient, it also simplified any setup or adjustment for mixed terain and changing load.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:38 AM   #4
2619PDX

I too use the Prodigy and highly recommend it.

Gregg
Old 06-20-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
chvaka

Thanks, for the advice.  I heard the prodigy is a great controller.  I was hoping to find something less expensive.  It looks like I just need to buy the prodigy and be done with it.

Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:58 AM   #6
2619PDX

I hear you on the cost, but when it comes to your safety, it's probably worth it in the long run.

I've found it simple to use, and that means a lot when you're towing, and hit that 6% downhill grade...

Gregg
Old 06-20-2003, 04:58 PM   #7

We have a Tekonsha break controller on our 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500, but not the Prodogey which has a digital read-out.  We have a cheaper model with a dial/slide switch.  It's had so much use between our trailer and boat, and the fact that my husband is a mechanic and truck driver and has to mess with everything all the time--the name's rubbed off and you can't even read it anymore!  It never fails and is easy to use.  

http://www.campingworld.com/index.cf...kcode=28300144

At Camping World the Prodogey lists for about $159, but if you become a member it's $129, which basically pays for your membership.  The non-digital runs about $70.  

As in earlier posts, consider placement and being able to reach it when the seatbelt is on, and practice so that you can instinctively use it should the need arise--heaven forbid...but it can save your life, literally!  

Happy trails!

Joan