TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default I need a new Brake Controller

I would like opinions on which Brake controllers have worked best. My current one is Draw-Tite. It is failing.
I know folks mention Prodigy a lot. Seems there are different models.
Would like opinions please

Cheri
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The description needs to include the word "proportional" or "inertia". If neither one appears, steer clear.

FWIW, I use a Jordan Ultima 2020. A little bit different from everyone else, but I had a good reason for it at the time. It is an excellent controller, but a bit harder to install than a Prodigy.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

OK, Thanks Bill!

Cheri
Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
PopBeavers

In my opinion, there are three technologies that are viable:

1. something that taps into the brake lines in the TV and measures the pressure of the brake fluid. I think Brakesmart is one brand. Note that my 2008 GMC says to not use one of these, but I did not understand the technical explanation as to why they said that. Can not be easily moved from one TV to another.

2. something that has a cable that attaches to the brake pedal to measure how far you push the pedal. I think the Jordan does that. I think that Jordan was recently bought out and people are complaining that they can no longer buy the Jordan controller that they love. My 2008 GMC has adjustable height pedals, and I am not sure how that would work out. Can not be easily moved from one TV to another.

3. something that measure the rate of decelleration. I think these are referred to as inertia style. The Prodigy or Prodigy P3 are two examples. I use the Valley Industries Odyssey, because it has two features that I like that he Prodigy does not have. I do not know anything about the P3.

My 2002 Chevy Silverado crew cab truck has the Valley Industries Odyssey. I installed it myself. Good thing I too electric shop in high school.

My 2008 GMC crew cab has the factory built in controller. So far it seems to be comparable to the Odyssey.

Anything that is base on time delay is considered by many to be old technology that should no longer be used. Opinions vary.

If you have trouble trying to sort it out and want to just pick something that you can live with, I would recommend the Prodigy or Prodigy P3. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of time researching brake controllers.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
BrigCA61

Thumbs up We have Prodigy

There's a good article written by Moderator RockyMtnRay some time back titled "Electric Brake Controllers" in the Trailmanor Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else section. He used to post quite a bit of good information about the Prodigy Brake Controller, and based on his information we decided to go with the Prodigy and have been very happy with it.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We have the Prodigy P3 controller, and it's been great. I paid about $100 for it after a $25 rebate about 18 months ago.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
P and B

MCD, here on the Cape, put in a Genesis controller. I think it is inertial but also works when you back up- important to me with my driveway ;-)

I know nothing else about them but thought you might want to know what the TM dealer recommended for us.

Phil
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
cali camping

Prodigy 3 here. It is a full featured unit and to my knowledge has all the capabilities of others with an easy to use display and installs in minutes provided you order the correct connection cable when you order the unit. I would get another if something happened to the one I currently have.

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We are also using the Prodigy P3 & it is GREAT so Far & very easy to install.

One more thing the tech support offered is Great I called in to ask allot of questions & they answered all in a timely & professional manner.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Anyone using the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller?
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote