TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default How did you fasten your solar panels?

I’m considering putting a 360 watt solar panel on the rear shell of my 2720SL, measuring roughly 66 x 40” and weighing about 40 lbs. I’ve read that a number of folks have attached the panel to the roof for various VHB tapes, but I want to use a mechanical fastener in addition to some sort of adhesive.

Northern Arizona Wind and Sun - a very reputable solar dealer - has told me they’ve received reports from RV owners where VHB tape has failed in this setting, and the solar panel subsequently departed the roof. Obviously, very dangerous and potentially life-threatening, and ultimately, the strength of the joint will also depend on the strength of the bond between the aluminum and paint (unless the paint is removed). They use these brackets:

https://www.solar-electric.com/mse-m...nting-kit.html

...which I think is basically a simple Z-bracket with a strip of butyl tape on the bottom, and then put lap sealant over it. In addition to the tape, they use 3 #14 sheet metal screws at each bracket, and reportedly, have never had a failure.

Of course, I’m guessing most of their installs are on conventional RVs with rubber roofs with an underlying plywood, and so that would be great, though they did say they’ve done installs on Airstreams. But TMs have no such plywood, and so the screws would literally be just held by the thin sheet metal. But, with at least 12 screws holding in the panel, maybe that would be adequate?

I’ve also considered well nuts and rivet nuts. I understand well nuts are often used by OEM manufacturers to attach roof racks to cars, so that seems like a good proof of concept, but they also require a large hole, and I’m not sure there would be enough room or holding power with 3 holes places so closely together in a typical bracket. I could build my own bracket of course with some stock z-channel....

Does anyone know where the framing is in the TM roof? I presume it’s only along the edge, but I don’t know.

How did you fasten your solar panels to the roof?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote