TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2003, 12:29 PM   #1

Default Equalizer Hitch and Folding Tongue

I'm seriously considering purchasing an Equalizer hitch for my TM2619, although I haven't yet noticed any sway problems on the highway after 400 miles of travel.

I was told by a salesman that TMs with folding tongues couldn't install equalizing hitches.  I find this hard to believe.  I don't see why equalizing hitches can't be installed on trailers with folding tongues.

I would appreciate the input of anyone who has installed an EH on a TM with a folding tongue.  If you have, did you have any problems with the spring arms hitting the tongue?  What are the things I need to look out for.

A word of thanks to all you good people who have contributed to this board.  Your input has been very, very helpful to us as we start on this new adventure with a TM.

Newt J.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:47 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Equalizer Hitch and Folding Tongue

I have used an equalizer hitch (EAZ-Lift 1000 lb.) on all 3 of my 2720s. The 2002 and 2003 SL models had/have the folding tongue. The hitch was TM dealer (Carter's Campers) installed.

There is some possibility of the equalizer bar on the door side of the hitch interacting with the hitch hinge pin. This can be adjusted out by inserting 1 or 2 washers to change the angle of the hitch on the tow vehicle, or by dropping one less link on the bar chain on that side.

However, I have seen several different types of equalizer hitches mounted on other TTs that could not be mounted on the TM folding hitch.

MJL

p.s.  Before all of you jump on me about the 1000 lb. rating of the lift, the dealer said that it was better to over rate the hitch and adjust it to a lower setting than to get one that was undersized. The hitch can be adjusted by tilting the ball mount and or changing the height of the ball mount. The equalizer bar loading can be changed by selecting the number of chain links between the bars and the chain latches.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:35 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

I also use an Equalizing Hitch with a Folding Tongue TM ('02 2720SL). It's a Reese (not sure of the model number) and I haven't seen any indication so far of any clearance problems between the bars and any part of the tongue.

The bars on this hitch are not directly under the tongue rails but rather are over an inch to the outside of the rails and well below them so there is no problem at all with the tongue's hinge pin(s).  I was even able to mount the bracket on the tongue rails for my power dolly's arm (the bracket sticks about 2 inches below the tongue rails) and have not noticed any clearance problems even on fairly tight corners.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
p.s. Before all of you jump on me about the 1000 lb. rating of the lift, the dealer said that it was better to over rate the hitch and adjust it to a lower setting than to get one that was undersized.
Mike,

Now we would never jump on you about that!  I agree with the dealer.  It is far better to oversize the hitch than to be marginal or under.  I have a Eaz-Lift #1009 on mine which is a 10K#trailer and 1K tongue rated...I wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks to the advice give on this very board!!

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:52 PM   #5
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Just this last weekend I asked the TM dealer at the local  RV show this exact question.  He told me it was not a problem to add a WD hitch to a folding tongue.  However, I suppose it *might* make some difference with a particular WDH brand/model, but our TM w/folding tongue is in the process of being ordered so.... :P

Kevin R

kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:54 PM   #6
Windbreaker

For what it is worth ours came from the dealer with a Reese. We used it once, tried towing with out it and have never used it again. We pull with a full size PU and find no need for it.

Mike I'm supprised you use one. BTW guess who is getting a real dulcimer for his birthday? It is being built now by Tom Yocky. Get your new TM yet?
Old 06-13-2003, 02:44 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The problem may be in semantics. When you asked your dealer about "equalizing hitches", I assumed (as did everyone else who responded, I think) that you meant "weight distributing hitch". As others have noted, there is no problem using a WDH with a swing tongue setup - and a WDH is a virtual necessity for any but the largest tow vehicle.

However, there is a very expensive hitch out there with the trade name EQUAL-I-ZER. It is a combination weight-distributing hitch and an elaborate anti-sway mechanism. Their website seems to be down right now so I can't see a photo, but if memory serves, the EQUAL-I-ZER does indeed have a bunch of "stuff" hanging down in the area of the springbar tips. This "stuff" might be what your dealer is referring to.

There was a discussion of the EQUAL-I-ZER a year or so ago. You might hit the SEARCH button, and open up the search window from 7 days to maybe 700 days.

Anyone have an EQUAL-I-ZER with a swing tongue?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:50 AM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Congratulations on the birthday gift. Use it well and often.

I use the equalizer hitch because I like the level ride it provides. I do not have heavy duty springs on the F150 and I preferred to add the springs to the hitch and not the truck. That way I have a smooth ride both with and without the TM attached.

The new replacement 2003 2720SL is set up at home now. Picked it up from the dealer last Monday. I'm in the process of installing the 2 6v golf cart batteries and the in-dash radio. My replacement Lay-Z-Boy recliner is on order. I requested a non-stock fabric color for it.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
2619PDX

I too have an oversized Reese WDH and the dual cam anti-sway set up for my 2619. Don't have the swing away tongue, but I've towed without the WDH and anti sway, and there is NO WAY, I'd go back to towing the TM without it!

Gregg
Old 06-14-2003, 12:57 PM   #10

Thank you to everyone who has provided input to this question.  I've learned a great deal about hitches.  Also, I did a search on the "Equal-i-zer" hitch and got some additional information which I found helpful.  

I'm planning on purchasing a WDH of some kind.  I may end up buying one of the simple, straight forward hitches without sway control.  However, I like the idea of the "Equal-i-zer" from Linden Hitch but am yet not sure whether it will work on a folding tongue with the hitch pins.  It has the sway control included in it.  The Reese type sway control can't be installed on the folding tongue.  Has anyone installed an "Equal-i-zer"  from Linden Hitch on a TM with a folding tongue?

This discussion board makes me glad that I bought a TM -- there is so much good helpful information.