TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Thanks. We have been laughing all day that we are obviously not cabinet makers. The pictures are making us look better than we are but we think the drawers are going to do the job.
Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Nice work, guys! And again, thanks to Rick Newcomb for hosting the instructions on his site for years!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
PopBeavers

When I made my 3 drawers two years ago, I accidentally made them a bit too tall. But all I had to do was set the fence on my table saw and whack it off. This resulted in a very even top surface.

If I ever build a drawer again, I will do the same. Trying to get the top and bottom edges to both be even is not easy.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
trisht

Default Slide-out Kitchen drawers

Hi Bill,

I'm looking at your kitchen drawers and just drooling. We're going on a 7 week trip (DH's sabbatical, yea!) and I just need to be organized.

Quick question, did you drill the rear slide supports directly into the side of the TM? I've been worried about drilling holes because of leakage, etc. Is this an issue?

Thank you!
Trish
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
trisht

Malinda -- your shelves are beautiful too!

Quick question, if you make modifications liek this does it void your warranty? Hubby is worried about doing too much to the trailer.

thank you!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In my case, the back end of the rail is supported by a rail holder, which is screwed to the wall. Putting a hole in the inner skin of the wall won't cause any leaks. The wall is quite thick, so your sheet metal screw should protrude from the back of the rail holder by about half an inch. Just be sure you don't make the screw so long that it pierces the outer skin of the TM.

No, there should be no warranty implications as long as you don't penetrate the outer skin. Of course, if you do make a hole all the way through, and the hole leaks, that's another story.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Thanks Trish. They were SO worth the work and cost. I'd just add, if you stain the drawers, let them dry really, really well before you put them in. We did ours in January so it was pull it out on a nice day and make it happen. Wow, stinkfest! We left the TM semi-open in the garage with the cabinet doors open for a few days afterward. That was not anywhere near good enough.

The modification for the existing drawers is looming large on my radar.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
trisht

For everyone who is not as handy as Bill and Malinda --- I found a company http://shelvesthatslide.com that sells their customer returns on eBay. Using Bill's design plan (and measuring and re-measuing), I was able to buy 5 slideouts and required hardware for $190 (lacquered, shipping / tax included). Essentially ended up being about $30 / shelf which is a deal for me because I don't have the tools or talent to do this myself. If you want to save even more $$, they have shelves that haven't been finished for around $15.

here is a link to the eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/shelvesthatslide

My shelves haven't arrived yet, but I've got my fingers crossed thsi will work. I talked to people at the company and they're very nice. And they also have an eBay feedback rating of 100%.

Now I just need to figure out how to install them. :-) Again, many thanks to Bill and Malinda for their inspiration. You've made my OCD day! :-)
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
trisht

Quick update. I received and installed the pull-out shelves mentioned above and am thrilled with the results, quality, etc. The people at the company couldn't be nicer and the package came with everything I needed for installation. The only crazy part was installing the 22" drawer next to the sink. Felt like a contortionist -- but now it's done!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #20
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

That sounds like a steal to me! Great find! All the thanks go to Bill who opened the door!

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]