TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2003, 10:10 PM   #11
Carol
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Using a battery charger to run the TM refer & fan

Hi!

Thinking about using a dryer extension cord to plug in the TM in the closed position further (after having trouble finding a 3 ft flat dryer extension cord), it dawned on me that I could use my adapter (30 amp to 15 Amp) and plug in a regular 3 prong extension cord. I don't really need 30 amps for this situation since the air conditioner will definitely not be running!

I haven't tested this theory out as yet as the TM is currently stored in the garage. The only concern would be if the adapter will fit into the storage compartment.

Thanks again for the creative solution!

Carol
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:59 AM   #12
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=Carol link=board=7;threadid=908;start=0#msg7241 date=1059019837]
Hi!

Thinking about using a dryer extension cord to plug in the TM in the closed position further (after having trouble finding a 3 ft flat dryer extension cord), it dawned on me that I could use my adapter (30 amp to 15 Amp) and plug in a regular 3 prong extension cord. I don't really need 30 amps for this situation since the air conditioner will definitely not be running!

I haven't tested this theory out as yet as the TM is currently stored in the garage. The only concern would be if the adapter will fit into the storage compartment.

Thanks again for the creative solution!

Carol
[/quote]

Carol,

I just finished what you suggest - a couple of days ago.

Purchased a 6 foot grounded, 15 amp extension. The female end was not included since the extension was intended to replace cords on an appliance. I cut it down to 3.5 feet and added the female plug.

Using the 30 to 15 amp adapter, I pulled the TM plug INTO the storage compartment and connected the new 15 amp extension. Ran the 15 amp cord down the side of the body, pinned it to the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Finally the male end of the cord rests under the trailer on the frame cutout thru which the torsion bar runs. Another tiewrap is used to cinch the plug to the frame.

It's easy to connect and won't get rained on overnight. At the campground there are two tiewraps to snip to revert to normal ops.

The key factor is that the 30 amp TM plug can be EASILY pushed into the storage compartment. Eliminates the space issue. All tested. It works!

Denny_A

P.S.: Pondered the setup after posting this. It occurred to me that I might not have to disconnect the contraption at all.

Sure enough. I brought the female plug around and under the trailer (remember the tiewrap on the torsion bar adjuster bolt), across to the plug tiewrapped to the frame, and mated them. I first passed the cord above the uppermost torsion rod on it's way to the male plug. The plugs rest on top of the lower part of the torsion rod pass-thru cutout, and well aft of the rods. It's secure and weather proof. Didn't even need another tiewrap. The cord, near the adjuster bolt, DOES rest ever so lightly on a torsion rod, but since the rotation of the rod is 90 degrees max, wear on the thick neoprene cover will be a non-factor, IMO. ;D
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #13
caremd99

Pictures please!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:39 PM   #14
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=caremd99 link=board=7;threadid=908;start=0#msg7271 date=1059093172]
Pictures please!
[/quote]

Just finished taking them 1/2 hr ago. Post 'em on Webshots soon!

Denny_A
Old 07-24-2003, 10:59 PM   #15
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=DenTed link=board=7;threadid=908;start=0#msg7276 date=1059093576]
[quote author=caremd99 link=board=7;threadid=908;start=0#msg7271 date=1059093172]
Pictures please!
[/quote]

Just finished taking them 1/2 hr ago. Post 'em on Webshots soon!
[/quote]

The pictures can be seen at:

[s]http://community.webshots.com/album/82739669OhZObR?889[/s]

Lots of things could be done to make it slick. But, I had the flash of unexpected insight (or whatever it's called), and did the "stowage thang" in a couple of minutes just to get pictures and post the result. 8)

Denny_A
Old 07-25-2003, 12:45 PM   #16
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

After going through the drill of securing the 15 Amp, customized extension cord, it occurred to me that it would also be easy to run the cord to the battery compartment, thence to the bumper compartment. It was easy because I already have a "Charge Keeper" installed in my battery compartment. Drilled a 1.5" hole to get electrical power access through the bumper. So now the same drilling can serve a dual function.

See result here:

Deleted URL - replaced slide show with an updatet version. See following post.

Seems there a few ways to supply pre-travel AC, fairly easily, whilst the trailer is closed.

Denny_A
Old 07-27-2003, 04:21 PM   #17
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

After posting the previous item in this thread, I went ahead and continued modifying it some. That is, the idea of a 15 amp power cord from the 30 amp cable compartment, to the battery compartment, and thence to the bumper storage compartment.

The mod will stay as it is (unless I see a need to improve it) now configured. The idea is to keep the extension cords from getting wet in the bumper storage compartment. None of this will make a lot of sense unless you view the slide show at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/83092204FcbibG

This is the setup I will use to provide shore power at home for the trailer, power for my charger, and power for the reefer when the TM is closed in prep for travel.

Denny_A
Old 07-27-2003, 08:04 PM   #18
NeedTMSanDiego

DenTed Your are a stud. ;D
The information you put on this site is awesome.