TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default First Tow experience with 2619 and Highlander

I finally got everything together enough to hook on to the recently purchased TM and pull it out of the storage area. I'm not sure what my tongue weight is with 2 batteries and 2 propane tanks, but I can tell you the '08 Highlander wasn't real happy. The rear was sagging a lot more then I had hoped for and the headlights were pointed at the tree tops. The ride was sloppy, bouncy and not a lot of fun. Don't get me wrong, the TM towed well, the TV just wasn't handling it as well as I had hoped for.

I drove it to the dealer to get a VIN verification, when I walked into the show room, there it was, sitting in a glass display case was a black shiny Reese WDH Pro for $221. Needless to say, I thought I had better give it a try. I have talked to a lot of people and read a lot of opinions, it was about 50/50 whether I needed one or not. I'm surprised at the number of so called "experts" that basically laughed at me for even entertaining the idea that I MAY need one.

All I can say is the the difference was amazing after I got it all hooked up. The car has the great ride it is known for again, it handles great and it is a pleasure towing with it. I would have dreaded driving thru the mountains with out one. So, thanks to those on here that were adamant that I would need one, and all the posts discussing this that made me aware there was such a thing and how they work! I'm real excited about planning our first trip now.....if there's anyone else tired of their TV sagging while bobbing and weaving and drivers flashing their headlights at you all the time, check out a WDH. Not to mention the improved safety factor. My pockets are now empty, so I hope I don't need anything else to enjoy the TM. Oh no....I need License Plates!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Glad you now have a balanced TV again, just remember you distributed the weight evenly but you did not eliminate any of it, so stopping will still be longer than without the TM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Glad you now have a balanced TV again, just remember you distributed the weight evenly but you did not eliminate any of it, so stopping will still be longer than without the TM.
Oh yeah, real noticeable on the hills around here! Taking it easy while learning and becoming familiar.