TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
gocntry

Default How About Bead Balancing??

I'm Getting Ready To Do The 15" Upgrade And Came Across This Article. Get The Lead Out

It Talks About Using Beads To Balance Truck Tires. If It Works For That Why Not My Tm's Tires??

Just Wondering If Anyone Has Used This Type Of Balance? Would This Work Or Is This Just A Bunch Of Hype.

Any Opinions On This?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 06-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
wmtire

We use it and they do work. There are several other kinds besides the Dynabeads. The kind we use is in tear-away bags. You just drop the entire bag into the tire during mounting, and as soon as the tire starts rolling, the bag disintegrates, and allows the balancing compound to roll around.

Now, a warning. Moisture is your enemy. It will make the balancing beads/compounds clump up like a brick.

You need to make sure the tire is dry before installation. Use any bead lube sparingly, as to not let it get inside the tire during mounting. You also want to make sure any time you add air, that it has a water filter/separator on it, to not allow water to be inserted into the tire. NEVER, and I mean NEVER use a fix-a-flat product if you have this form of balancing compounds inside your tire.

The jury is still out on using these if you have a tire pressure monitoring system (and a corresponding sensor inside on your wheel). Some of the manufacturers say their product will work with these sensors without clogging them, but we get notices all the time warning us not to use them with the sensors. To err on the side of caution, I wouldn't use them right now if you have a TPMS sensor INSIDE the tire.

FYI: ALL lead weights are being fazed out due to environmental regs. They are making the weights out of steel, tin, and/or using these kind of balancing compounds.

Expect to see the cost of balancing your tires nudge up a little.

These bags of balancing compounds that we use in dually tires cost me $6 per bag. You use one bag per tire. It costs me more in material cost per tire than using lead weights.....but I do save on labor costs, since I don't have to take the time to put the tire on a spin balancer to balance it.

On one other note: Dynabeads are loved by the motorcycle community, especially as hard as it is to find a place that can balance motorbike tires. My brother swears by them, as he has put them in about all of his 12 bikes.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
larsdennert

That's ridiculous. Lead is a natural compound. Let's outlaw dirt too because someone might eat it.

I can't wait till that is a rule for Scuba Diving. "Ah sir you'll have to use these styrofoam weights." Although you can buy coated lead weight...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
That's ridiculous. Lead is a natural compound. Let's outlaw dirt too because someone might eat it.

I can't wait till that is a rule for Scuba Diving. "Ah sir you'll have to use these styrofoam weights." Although you can buy coated lead weight...
Lars, actually your state was one of the first to ban them here in the US.

http://www.takepart.com/blog/2008/08...y-end-of-2009/

However the EPA is pushing initiatives to make everyone voluntarily ban them before pushing for a law to require it. The manufacturers of the wheel weights see the writing on the wall, and are changing them.

We have to live with it, whether we like it or not. Personally, I just go with the flow.......even if it leads to the cesspool.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
larsdennert

Toyminated in Kalifornia
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
Toyminated in Kalifornia
LOL

I also frequent a kawasaki motorcycle forum, and one of the members from Sacramento there posted that, the Terminator terminated his job.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
jcjim4

? DOT Code MLOR? Just purchased 3 Goodyear 15" Marathons to replace the 14"'s.
Date code is 2809 which tells me they were mfgd 2 weeks ago!
Have found a MK mfg code but no ML.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim4 View Post
? DOT Code MLOR? Just purchased 3 Goodyear 15" Marathons to replace the 14"'s.
Date code is 2809 which tells me they were mfgd 2 weeks ago!
Have found a MK mfg code but no ML.
Jim, I have a feeling that you are looking at the 5-8 place digits (MLOR) in the DOT code. The very first two digits (1 and 2 place) are the manufacturing plant. Check out this thread from Gocntry, and see if you possibly have the same code as his (except for the date). You may have to relook at your tires.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8&postcount=12
Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
jcjim4

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Jim, I have a feeling that you are looking at the 5-8 place digits (MLOR) in the DOT code. The very first two digits (1 and 2 place) are the manufacturing plant. Check out this thread from Gocntry, and see if you possibly have the same code as his (except for the date). You may have to relook at your tires.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8&postcount=12
Thanks. U were right. I do have the same code as Gocntry's.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim4 View Post
Thanks. U were right. I do have the same code as Gocntry's.
Good deal. I appreciate all the info shared here from a tire dealer standpoint. It does me good to hear that Goodyear is making the marathons (or at least some) back in the USA.