TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Steverino

Default Ridgeline + Prodigy Controller???

We just got an 08 Ridgeline to replace our 99 4-Runner. Just finished installing the Honda hitch & wiring harness.

I'll be re-using our Tekonsha Prodigy controller. For anyone out there who is using a Prodigy with their Ridgeline, did you just solder the 4-wire Honda-supplied adapter directly to the Prodigy 4-wire connector?

This would be the easiest, but I was wondering if there were any issues I need to be aware of...

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
freein05

I have an 08 Ridgeline RTX that came pre-wired. The brake controller wires are under the dash near the steering wheel. All I did was plug my prodigy brake controller pig tail into the pig tail on the Ridgeline.

The RTX model came prewired for 7 and 4 pin trailer wiring and a brake controller.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Steverino

Yeah, I know the RTX got the whole package pre-installed. I had to add the kit to my RTS to get it to the same point. That being said, the installation was pretty straightforward.

It's good to hear you had success with the "direct connection" method - since I'm doing it myself I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
TraceyMac

I have an 06 Ridgeline and it came with the 4 pin connector for a brake controller already there. I did have to add the rest of the wiring and the hitch. You can buy a pigtail for the Prodigy that clips straight into the existing Honda 4 pin plug - no soldering required.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
freein05

You will be happy with the way the Ridgeline tows a TM. You don't know it is behind you. I really have to keep that in mind when I go around a corner.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Steverino

Tracey, thanks for the tip on the pigtail - I'll check it out.

I am really looking forward to trying out towing with the R/L. I'll be curious to see how the WDH adjustments go, compared to my 4-Runner... Maybe we won't need it at all?

We like the R/L very much, although it isn't quite as maneuverable as our 4-R was. It is a much more solid-feeling vehicle.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
freein05

I have a Reese WDH. I tried to tow without it but the headlights were to high. I have a 2619. When the TM is fully loaded I put the WDH on # 3 link and with a light load #2.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Inkspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by freein05 View Post
I have a Reese WDH. I tried to tow without it but the headlights were to high. I have a 2619. When the TM is fully loaded I put the WDH on # 3 link and with a light load #2.
I also have an 08 Ridgeline RT and the dealer installed the factory hitch on it. When reading my towing specs Honda did not recommend using a WDH. Are you using the Factory hitch? Do you know why they discourage use of the WDH?

Just purchased a 2000 2720sl. And cross winds in South Texas can be bad so I was wanting some sway control.

Thanks, Lee
Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
freein05

From what I have read and understand the factory is afraid that if someone tightens the WDH too much it could damage the frame. My Ridgeline was an RTX that came with a factory hitch. I just slide the Reese ball mount into the receiver on the Ridgeline. I feel the TM tows safer and more comfortable with the WDH.

My 2619 with even a light load would cause the rear end of the Ridgeline to sag. I have used the WDH for a year now and have had no problems and it does improve the towing of the TM. I am careful not to tighten the chains too tight. I will use number 2 or 3 link and no more. I found the following test of a Ridgeline right on target.

"Bringing It Home
Our renegade journey back home, in direct non-compliance with the Honda manual's recommendation of not using a weight distribution hitch, allowed the Ridgeline to make amends. With the weight transfer, ride levelling and anti-sway effects of the torsion bar system, the Ridgeline's towing performance was transformed, and the truck regained much of the composure it had shown while towing the empty trailer at the beginning of this test. You could still feel there was a lot of weight back there, but it felt under control at all times. The difference was obvious under windy conditions and while descending hills, where the tail no longer felt like it was about to wag the dog. We encountered heavy rain on the way back, sometimes with strong side winds, and even when splashing through relatively deep standing water, I always felt in complete control.

To my surprise, Honda's literature didn't agree. In fact, the manual clearly states that a weight distributing hitch is not recommended, arguing that it may reduce handling, stability and braking performance if not adjusted properly. To me, the last four words of the preceding sentence strongly suggest that the company's legal department had the final say on this subject. A little further, the law engineers try to keep all the bases covered by stating that a sway control system is recommended if your trailer tends to sway. I decided to go by the Honda book, but threw the weight distribution system in the trailer just in case."

Full article it is interesting. He first drove to from Canada to Florida without a WDH than back with one. The WDH made a big difference in the drive.

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/gui...umentid=635459
Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Inkspot

freein05 - Thanks for the info. The article was great. I would never attempt to tow at maximum load for so long as the writer did.

Did you ever find out why Honda says no WDH?