TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Alrhall

Default Graceland or Bust! ... My first blowout(s)

Last week I had my first blowout on my 2004 2720 TM on the way from Stuart, FL to Memphis, TN.
It was time to take a serious trip with my new TV (2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel) and I had promised to take daughter to Graceland. We had quite an adventure. We left Stuart FL about 10:30 Friday night June 20th expecting to drive through the night.
I hit something on the road that I didn’t see about 11:50 PM on the Florida turnpike in the middle of the Everglades. Gator? Armadillo? Board? I checked the tires and didn’t see any damage. About 10 miles later the right side tire blew out. I got about 2 seconds warning. The jeep down shifted and the pieces flew. I had no handling problems just lots of vibration.
It shredded the fender skirt, drove a large hole in the aluminum under side and a tore up the plastic wheel well liner. The mosquitoes had a feast. The “Road Ranger” showed up about 15 minutes into the fun and helped a lot. He said; “It’s a good thing this happened this week they are laying me off next week and canceling night time service.”
I now know that you have to open the TM to install the new tire.
As we traveled on down the road, I thought at least it wasn't the left side. It would have damaged the plumbing.

We stopped in Orlando and stayed across from Leisure Time RV (closest TM dealer). We had expected to travel about 500 miles but only made 150. The dealer did not have the fender skirt or liner and the tire dealer they use did not have a tire. As we had breakfast I phoned around town and found a Goodyear dealer with 1 tire. I put foam in the holes and we were back on the road about Noon time Saturday, planning to travel only during the day.
About 6 PM Saturday afternoon the left tire blew (I don’t know why) in the middle of Georgia and I was correct; it took out the drain lines, ripped the toilet flange loose and tore the drain pipe loose from the gray water tank. I changed the tire and tied down what was left of the plumbing with bungi cords. It was too late to find a tire so we continued on with no spare. That night we stayed in a motel because I really needed a shower. We arrived safe and sound in Memphis late Sunday afternoon, about a day late.
We stayed in the Graceland RV Park. Great park, they put us next to the showers. If you go to Graceland, stay behind the Heartbreak Hotel.
I found one more tire on Monday. I put the new tire on the road and returned the spare to its carrier. Then I spent the afternoon stabilizing the toilet drain line with foam so there was no hole in the floor.

We had planned a side trip to the TM factory but the tires used up my time.

We are back home in Florida. The return trip was uneventful.

My next upgrade Steel Valve stems and remote pressore monitor.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
bama-tm

man......I am so sorry this happened Al but I am glad you and your daughter made it to Elvisland and back home. We are taking our TM out on Friday and now I am nervous about my tires!?!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Sorry to hear about your troubles Al. Hopefully your tire problems didn't dampen you or your daughters enthusiasam for using the TM.

I see you have a 2004 TM. Do you happen to know the manufacture date on the two tires that failed?

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
FightinIrish

After reading several posts after I purchased an 04' 2720 SL, I made the change to 15" tires which had a much higher max weight. Just my two cents, I believe that the original 14" Marathons with a max weight of 1800 +/- cuts way too close with almost no margin when the TM is loaded. For me, it was a no brainer and I am on somewhat of a budget. Spent 42.00 on the lift kit from the factory, installed it myself. Didn't take but a couple hours max, and purchased three wheels and tires, 15" Denmans with a max weight of 2600+/- which left plenty of room after loading. I did lessen my psi to 65 from the 80 psi with the factories approval to soften the ride but that only lessened my max weight by something a little less than 10%. I just pull off the grill on top of the stove when in transport and haven't had any issues. I have put probably 4,000 miles without incident.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Wow, 2 blowouts on 1 trip, and the plumbing shredded to boot! At least you got there and had a good time!

You have my deepest sympathies.

Were you using the 14" Goodyear Marathons?

I wonder if I could convince DH to put on the lift kit and then change over to 15" tires. We just have so much to do here on the house....maybe I could do it....what tools are involved?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
FightinIrish

Thumbs up

Basically, all you need is to remove four stock bolts holding the axle onto the frame, jack up the frame, insert the new 2" square tube steel spacer and install and tighten down the four longer bolts, (two each side) that they give you with the lift kit. Very easy to do.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Patriot
Site Sponsor

Default First Blowout

Had a blowout the day before Thanksgiving. We were on our way home from Austin to Houston. It was on the driver side. Luckily, I did not see any damage to the plumbing. I always check my tire pressure before I leave on a trip. Not sure what caused it. It only had about 5000 miles on it. It was 2 years old. Put the spare on and made it home with no problem.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote