TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
stash77

Purchased a 2006 Trailmanor 2720 SL. My only concern at this point is towing it. My 2006 Explorer has a tow rating of 3500 lbs. This puppy weighs out dry at 2865 lbs. With the AC unit and minimal content, it bumps the weight to 3200 lbs. The other issueis that I spoke with two different dealers regarding sway and load balance requirement. One say's yes and the other says no. Does anyone have experience with these issues as well as towing with a V6 Explorer?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
stash77

UPDATE: Picked up my TM. Drove it over 500 miles at highway speeds, i.e., 75-80 mph. My 2006 Ford Explorer V6 5-speed 200hhp, exceeded my expectations. Once the cruise control was set, it only down-shifted when encountering mild hills. Coming up the mountain into NC, I turned the overdrive off, set the cruise control at 60mph. Only for a short distance did it downshift into 3rd gear. Once on the mountain, it was smooth sailing. After experiencing NO SWAY at 85 mph, the concern I had for a sway bar became a mute subject. Passing tractor-trailers, speeding cars, etc., had no influence at all on the stability of ride. The low profile TM responded GREAT! All in all, I'm beside myself with joy over the performance of both.
stash77
Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
ng2951

I would check to see if Explorer has a transmission cooler. If it does, great. If not, I would consider getting one since the cooler is way cheaper than a transmission.

I will bet you are enjoying your 2006.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
stash77

When I got it home, my wife couldn't wait for me to get it un-packed. She was so thrilled. Between now and our first excursion, she has several finishing touches to implement. Since it is our first camper in a long time, we have a lot to learn: How to operate the stove, microwave/oven, and the all important comode. Not to mention how it all works: gas vs: battery vs: AC. Momma said; son as you go throught life; "make memories." We're getting off to a good start. By the way I've already started looking into a transmission cooler. Thanks,
Stash77
Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash77 View Post
UPDATE: Picked up my TM. Drove it over 500 miles at highway speeds, i.e., 75-80 mph. Coming up the mountain into NC, I turned the overdrive off, set the cruise control at 60mph. After experiencing NO SWAY at 85 mph, the concern I had for a sway bar became a mute subject. Passing tractor-trailers, speeding cars, etc., had no influence at all on the stability of ride. stash77
If you do have ST tires on your trailer, they are only rated for 65mph (unless you increase the cold psi according to some manufacturers, which I'm not sure I will agree with). Hate for you to have a tire failure. It would just ruin your day.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Echo. Your tires are rated for 65 MPH and your Explorer has a very short wheelbase.

Go to http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.htm and read "how long a trailer?".

I hope some others chime in on the level of risk you're taking on at the speeds you've mentioned. I've got a 21 Ft. TV (yes, longer than my TM) with a 164.6" wheelbase, 5.7 L V8, my top speed is 70 mph.... and I got a blowout last Sunday. The offending tire has less than 7,000 miles and is less than 18 months old. Factory spec Marathon, air pressure checked before every trip and set to 50 PSI. I carry a portable compressor specifically to ensure proper tire pressure. Even with belt and suspenders, your pants can bite the dust.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
stash77

Personally, I run BF Goodrich T-rated and do keep my tire pressures monitored for load/speed conditions. Like you I had a blow-out doing about 60 on some "other" brand, but since using these tires, my comfort level has increased 150%. I think they're the greatest tire I've ever run. They are quiet, round and durable. Everytime I get rid of those "other" brands, and put a set of these on, it's like getting a brand niew car. But, thanks for tip. I appreciate it. Happy campin'. stash77
Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash77 View Post
Personally, I run BF Goodrich T-rated and do keep my tire pressures monitored for load/speed conditions. Like you I had a blow-out doing about 60 on some "other" brand, but since using these tires, my comfort level has increased 150%. I think they're the greatest tire I've ever run. They are quiet, round and durable. Everytime I get rid of those "other" brands, and put a set of these on, it's like getting a brand niew car. But, thanks for tip. I appreciate it. Happy campin'. stash77

I think the others are referring to your trailer tires, not your Explorer tires.

Be careful out there.

Chap
Old 04-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

I believe that there are a lot of surprises in the possibility pool for emergency stopping a 3500# trailer from 75mph, and I've had enough surprises over the years to say that I really think that's too fast from a safety perspective. I don't think it has anything to do with trailer length or trailer sway, but rather it is because you have too many variables between the TV's anti-lock brakes the trailer, and a trailer brake controller which is just guessing about how much braking to do in the first place. You can't drive as if the trailer isn't there without the risk of discovering some day that it is already on its way to somewhere you don't want it to go.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Towing with Explorer

I've posted several comments of my own; you might want to take a look at them.

The owners manual for the Explorer says to disable overdrive and not to use cruise control when towing. After towing our TrailManor for two years now, I agree. Also, its very dangerous to tow above 65 mph (easy to be out-of-control in seconds, in an emergency. After all, 60 mph is 88 feet per second!). Our best gas mileage is between 55 and 60, when towing the TrailManor.

I've towed over Black Mountain and Afton Mountain in western Virginia. It's simply a matter of being patient and moving to the right lane with flashers on, if necessary. It only takes about 15 minutes more than trying to keep the pedal to the metal to get to the top.

Lastly, our Equal-i-zer weight-distributing hitch keeps both TrailManor and Explorer "on the level" and under control. I wouldn't be without it!

The best part of "taking it easy" is that we are safe, get to enjoy the scenery, and can watch for other TrailManors on the road.

Camping season is here! Enjoy!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote