TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
allenj

Question WDH bracket attachment on 2720SL?

I purchased a Curt weight distributing hitch for my 2720SL, but I don't see how to mount the snap up brackets. In their proper location for the weight bars, the LP tanks block them from snapping up completely. If I move them further back, it appears that they will interfere with the swing arms for the front room slideout, and I no longer have a direct lift on the chains.

Is anyone else using a weight distributing hitch on their 2720SL? Where did you mount your brackets? (pictures would be nice )

I guess I should have asked this question before purchasing this hitch, but are there only certain types of WDH that work with this model?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
hsannerud
Site Sponsor

Allen....I had the same problem with mine. I had the hitch company bend the lever for setting the chains at approximately a 45 degree angle so that it just clears the tank when the chain is taught. A very simple fix.

Harry
hsannerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Allen -

This thread may be helpful.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3665

It sounds like you need shorter springbars. Can the Curt company (or their local dealer) get them for you?

How long are your springbars, measured from the center of the chain attachment to the center of the stub at the other end?

It is not clear to me how "In their proper location for the weight bars, the LP tanks block them from snapping up completely." Do you mean that the hook mechanism / housing won't go over the top into the latched position without hitting the tanks? Or do you mean that the tips of the springbars hit the underside of the tanks on the way up?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
allenj

Bill,

See the attached pictures. The current springbars are 30". You can see how far down the side of the tongue they extend, although I don't have the snap up brackets mounted in left side picture. The springbars would have to be much shorter (like 16") to clear the tanks.

The LP tanks prevent the hook mechanism from going all the way up into the latched position.

Harry,

I think you've got it! I only need another inch or so of clearance on the lever bar. Unfortunately I bought this hitch online, so I'll have to find somebody with the resources to bend that big steel hook a little further.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDH_2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2418   Click image for larger version

Name:	WDH 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2419  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
hsannerud
Site Sponsor

Allen....any trailer hitch company or even local garage with a large vise should be able to do it. I know when they did mine it did not require heating the metal. I was concerned regarding losing the strength of the lever but it wasn't a problem. It's about a 5 minute job.

Good luck....

Harry
hsannerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Allen -

Aha! Pictures make all the difference. I was envisioning horizontal tanks that are sunk down between the frame rails, and hence out of the way as shown in the pics of my rig. In your situation, it sounds like Harry has the right answer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
allenj

Well, consider this a learning experience for others, but after searching for two days I couldn't find anybody willing or able to bend my brackets properly.
I checked:

- RV dealer - "Sorry, we can't do that, that problem is the reason we switched to selling only Equal-i-zer"

- Machine shop - "Sorry, we don't have anything that can bend that, we just do sheet metal"

- Hitch and trailer shop - "Sorry, too much liability".

I ended up buying a set of Draw-Tite snap up brackets from the hitch shop for $90. They work just fine, and the Curt brackets went back on Ebay.

I guess the moral of this story might be, at least for the 2720SL, get a Draw-Tite or Equal-i-zer WDH, not a Curt. But on the other hand, even with the additional brackets the Curt is still a good bit cheaper.