TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-21-2002, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Argh!

Just got back from picking up my 1999 3023 from Grand Rapids, Michigan, we live in Phoenix.  The trailer was in great shape when picked up at the dealer.  I say was in great shape.  Have read most if not all of the posts on this web site.  Was aware of the issue with the Carlisle (sp?) tires.  When I saw they were Carlisles on the trailer I was concerned by thotoughly examined them and they looked in good shape for the 2,000 mile trip.  About 50 miles into Oklahoma I heard a sound from the trailer and looked back just in time to see the tread flapping around then come off in one large piece.  The portion of tire under the tread held together (inflated) for about 5 seconds before the tire finally blew.  Was able to get it stopped ok but was horrified to find the amount of damage.  The trailer did not have the round wheel well modification.  Found the flapping tread broke off the drains, broke thru the wheel well metal and damaged the kitchen sink cabinet and bathroom wall.  The wheel well cover will need to be replaced as well.  I had considered replacing the tires before heading out but gambled and lost.  My bad......thanks everyone for putting the right information out there, just needed to follow the advice.  Estimate the repairs to be $1 - $2k.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:53 AM   #2
Larry_Loo

Default Re: Argh!

Tdub,

We're sorry to hear about your blowout and the damage it caused. Perhaps, the tire was not inflated to 50 psi when it left the dealer's lot? Our 1999 3124KS now has had 2 blowouts, both occurring in 15", 4-ply Carlisle tires. The first happened before we purchased the trailer; that incident must have caused extensive damage to the trailer because the upper shell's wall on that side appears to have been rebuilt. The second blowout, like yours, happened about 300 miles after leaving the dealer's lot. It was a nuisance only and did not cause any damage to wheel well or interior. I still have a perfectly new-looking 15" Carlisle tire (it was the spare tire) in our workshop. It will NEVER be mounted on our TM again.

Although you may be feeling some anguish because you might have prevented this loss, it's always best to look at the bright side of this incident. You might have been hurt during an accident caused by this blowout but were not - and that's the important thing! All of us at one time or another have done something we've regretted while driving, but, ended up praising God for preventing us from being injured. For example, had I not been so engrossed in conversation with my wife while driving her to my retirement party over a year ago, I would have noticed that the truck in front of us dropped a load of steel angle iron and pipe in our lane. Going over the steel blew out our truck's right front tire and tore up the right rear fender. Before hitting the steel I started to swerve my truck to the left but decided against it a split second later. Replacing the 2 tires (front and rear) and repairing the fender cost us a bit of money. Had I continued my turn to the left to avoid the steel, however, I would have gone over the embankment on the narrow approach to that freeway's overpass. For a few moments I had nothing but vile thoughts for that trucker, who sped off, but soon came to realize how blessed we were to have come through with only some financial loss!

We're all sorry that you had this troublesome blowout. A year from now, however, the wonderful towing manners of your TM will have pushed this incident into the recesses of your memory.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:00 AM   #3
Happytrails

Have you discussed what happened with the dealership you purchased it from? They may cover it as you had just purchaced it, and anything you purchase from a dealership is supposed to at least make it home! I finally finished almost all of the repairs needed to put mine back on the road. The tires look fine that are on it, with plenty of tread, but I believe them to be the Carlisle's and am having them replaced either tomorrow, or tuesday with the Goodyear Marathons, as well as get an inspection. I also replaced the safety chain as well as the emergency brake cable that was beginning to frey. I also replaced all of the cove, "moulding" in the front shell and fixed a place where the skin was torn back on the inside away from the wall at the ceiling.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails....[/glow]
Old 09-22-2002, 12:22 PM   #4
tipper

tdub,

I too had great looking Carlisles, reasonably new, always inflated to exactly 50 psi, and run with a light trailer.

One came apart suddenly - the whole tread just separating from the plies.  Luckily, we did not sustain damage as the tread just came completely off cleanly in one piece.  I learned my lesson.

Go with the factory solution - Goodyear Marathons.

No dealer would cover you like an insurance policy.  I hope you had insurance coverage.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:40 AM   #5
Happytrails

Welp, got my Goodyear Marathon's on there today, as well as a brand new inspection........Looks like I'll finally get to go camping!!!!!!!!! Stick a fork in me guys, I'm finally DONE!!!!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 09-27-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
KB7OUR

Congratulations and what a story! Get out there and enjoy your TM like the rest of us. Did you find a solution to the heater problem?

Wade
Old 09-28-2002, 04:02 AM   #7
Happytrails

No, and I'm still waiting for someone that knows anything about the "Buddy" heater to let me know.......It was mentioned earlier on the board somewhere........But thanks, and we're taking it out for our "shakedown" trip today as a matter of fact!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]

Old 09-28-2002, 06:25 AM   #8
KB7OUR

Happytrails,

We just purchased the Buddy heater but haven't used it yet. A very nice unit that will take a 1lb propane bottle, or larger tank with the hose option. TMs are so well insulated that this should work unless temps are perhaps below freezing. Don't know for sure until we try it. Also, will auto shut off if low oxygen condition exists, or at ~ 6000'. Several stores would let you return it if it didn't meet your needs. If you need one quick I think you can get one at CW and they will also price match - even an Internet price. Good luck on your shakedown voyage!

Wade
Old 09-28-2002, 02:14 PM   #9
oilspot

Happytrails,

Good luck on the shakedown trip.  This weekend's weather should be great!

Surely someone can troubleshoot or diagnose the problem with the heater.  Sounds to me like either the gas solenoid or the igniter aren't working.

If it is something on the control board, maybe you can find an electronics hound that can replace the bad components and salvage your old heater.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:39 AM   #10
Happytrails

Shakedown trip.....lol, welp, glad it was just that. Brought everything to make french toast in the am, lol, forgot ALL the cookware......Brought steaks and a grill, forgot the grill brush.....went to go to sleep, forgot the pillows.......lol But we had fun anyway.  :  LOL but we didn't forget to bring a dustbuster, and all kinds of extra chairs we didn't use! But we were kinda rushing out the door while loading, and not using a list....we'll be SURE not to foget anything when we go on vacation.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]