TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Equalizer WDH: what do the washers do?

In my equalizer WDH there's a washer system for adjusting the fit. I don't have the manual for this thing.

My dealer is having trouble adjusting the hitch because the torsion arms of the hitch are hitting the long bolt which holds the mechanism to the frame. It has been suggested that the torsion bars be trimmed back an inch or two so they clear the bolts. Dealer suggest trimming back the bolts (an idea I don't like because it gives you less cushion if one of the bolts works loose unexpectedly).

Finally, he said he thinks adding washers will take care of things. My question: exactly what axis does adding washers adjust? I need more "lift" since the rear of the TV and front of the TM are still sagging a bit.

Sorry if this is confusing - hard to find the right terms to use without a diagram .
Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
bfezel

Rich,

Something is wrong with your dealer if he cannot deal with this problem!!! I have a Reese hitch and their web site will tell you everything you need to know about the hitch, adjustments, the torsion bars, etc. With these instructions it is a very simple do-it-yourself proposition. Good luck on resolving the issues.

Bill in Tennessee
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Equal-i-zer installation instructions online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
In my equalizer WDH there's a washer system for adjusting the fit. I don't have the manual for this thing.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/support/instructions.php
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
ericluvskim04

Hello,
I got my directions out of my TV so I may be able to help. First of all I have a Husky wd. What make is yours because the odds are someone on this forum has your model. Anyway my wd has 4 harden steel washers. It says to place all four on the pin to start out but the number of washers may have to be changed in the next step. In the next step it said to rotate the head forward as far as it will go. Ball should be vertical or tilted slightly back. If it is not, change the number of washers on the pin and reassemble as before. If you PM I will send you a scan copy of my directions. Just for reference in the Trailblazer I owned I installed the 4 washers but the head was not vertical and I had a hard time disconnecting the TM. I removed a washer and reassemble the unit and had not trouble. Well I traded that in for a new Chevy Silverado and had to put the washer back in to get the proper angle. Hope this help out.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericluvskim04 View Post
I got my directions out of my TV so I may be able to help. .
Thanks for your trouble, Eric. Mine is an equalizer so may not be the same, but I'll follow the link rtcassel provided to check it out.

Quote:
Something is wrong with your dealer if he cannot deal with this problem!!!
Yes, we've already established that in other threads . I am just trying to get all the checklist items cared from on this new TM before I start searching for another dealer.

There is an independent hitch guy not from from me as a backup plan, but I hate to pay out of pocket when it should be covered by the original dealer.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcassel View Post
Thank you for the link. I read it and it sounds like adding washers to lower the front end of the TV is the correct thing to do.

Now we'll see if the service guys can figure out how to do that.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Shandysplace

Default Hitch Issues

Our only contribution, if you've not tried it already, is to contact TMs Service Manager Ed Lytle. He's been responsive to our many questions as new RVers. [email protected] or [email protected].

w/r,

Shandysplace
3326 King
1997 Suburban K1500 4WD
Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have a Reese hitch (chains on the springbar tips), not an Equal-I-Zer, but just as an oh-by-the-way ...

As you tilt the ball mount (the part that holds the ball) forward and back, it tilts the ball back and forth, but it also raises and lowers the tips of the springbars (not yet hooked up). As it turns out, there is no reason and no expectation that the ball will be vertical. Instead, the purpose of the tilt adjustment is to position the springbar tips at a good height. If the springbar tips are too high, they will hit the underside of the frame, the frame parts, or the springbar hooks. If the springbar tips are too low, they may drag on the ground at times. The springbar tips should be set somewhere in the middle - perhaps 7 chain links below the hooks.

This may not be directly applicable to an Equal-I-Zer hitch, but in general, there is no reason why the springbar tips should hit anything. And I WOULDN'T cut them down.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have a Reese hitch (chains on the springbar tips), not an Equal-I-Zer, but just as an oh-by-the-way ...

As you tilt the ball mount (the part that holds the ball) forward and back, it tilts the ball back and forth, but it also raises and lowers the tips of the springbars (not yet hooked up). As it turns out, there is no reason and no expectation that the ball will be vertical. Instead, the purpose of the tilt adjustment is to position the springbar tips at a good height. If the springbar tips are too high, they will hit the underside of the frame, the frame parts, or the springbar hooks. If the springbar tips are too low, they may drag on the ground at times. The springbar tips should be set somewhere in the middle - perhaps 7 chain links below the hooks.
Bill
Bill, no expert here but it's clear that we are talking about two different beasts. On the Equalizer there are no chains or links, and the spring bar always rests on a metal shelf, secured in by a custom L-shaped steel bracket and cotter-pin arrangement. The springbars don't have hooks and the ball itself has only minimal play. Adjustment is either by selecting the desired height/holes on the mounting hardware itself or tinkering with the washers.

Sounds like Rube Goldberg inventions, both of them.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rich -

You are quite right on all counts. Although I wasn't clear, I was really addressing the problem of the springbar tip hitting the underside of something - this doesn't happen with a chain-type springbar, but we have had a few reports of this happening with an Equal-I-Zer, since the springbars are not "lowered" as they are in a chain rig.

I was also addressing Eric's mention of getting the hitch head or ball vertical. There is a common misconception that it MUST be vertical - not so.

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote