TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2002, 01:39 PM   #1

Default Goodyear Tires - Are they better

I was reading some of the old threads and they indicated that Trailmanor was going to install Goodyear model tires on the Trailmanors manufactured (I think) after 1999.  Since I'm in the process of purchasing a 2002 3124 KS I was curious if I had to be wary of blowouts if the tires were Goodyear models.

(Anyone with Goodyears have a blowout?  Experiences with them - good or bad?)

Thanks for the input...
Old 02-17-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
Gene

Default Re: Goodyear Tires - Are they better

Just two weeks ago I experienced a blowout with a Carlisle tire on my TM. In September, 2000, I had a blowout with a Goodyear tire. I wanted to have it replaced with another Goodyear tire. The tire dealer could not order a Goodyear tire in time for me, since we were traveling on a tight time schedule. I had to settle for a Carlisle tire. Never again, will I purchase a Carlisle tire. I am replacing it with a Goodyear tire. The factory was installing Carlisle tires for a while. Many TM owners were experiencing blowouts with this brand tire. Now, they have switched to installing Goodyear tires. Many times, it is not the fault of the tire. Maintaining proper tire pressure and not overloading the trailer is the main way of preventing tire blowouts.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:48 AM   #3

On a related issue to blowouts, does the 2002 model solve the problem of the square wheel wells by providing rounded wells? If it still has the square wells you might want to review previous posts with regard to modifying the wells.

Dick_B
Old 02-20-2002, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
On a related issue to blowouts, does the 2002 model solve the problem of the square wheel wells by providing rounded wells? If it still has the square wells you might want to review previous posts with regard to modifying the wells.

Dick_B
I appreciate the advice and I plan on checking that in a few weeks when we take delivery.  (I had read about the modification that could be made to the wheel wells and it looks as though one fellow had pretty good luck with that.  If the 2002 that I get doesn't correct it, I will make the modification.  Either way, I'll post here so you folks know if TM is correcting these issues or not...
Old 02-20-2002, 04:17 PM   #5
Gene

According to a recent article in the TrailManor TrailBlazer newsletter, new rounded wheel wells are suppose to be installed on all 2002 models at the factory.
Gene
Old 02-21-2002, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
According to a recent article in the TrailManor TrailBlazer newsletter, new rounded wheel wells are suppose to be installed on all 2002 models at the factory.
Gene
That is good to hear.  I will confirm (I hope) this in a couple of weeks
Old 02-23-2002, 10:08 AM   #7

Maybe, BUT, they are still trailer tires and per Goodyear are only speed rated at 75mph.  I had the 2 original tires on my 98 blow (neither Carlisle or Goodyear).  Found blisters on one Carlisle and replaced it with a Goodyear.  Have 3 Carlisle tires but never actually had one blow.  In the future I will buy truck tires.  The reasons for a "trailer" tire don't make sense.  We are not towing a 5th wheel or an 8' high conventional trailer.  Those produce leveraged sway which requires a stiffer sidewall.  Since a full size 13 passenger van is taller than a TrailManor and it can use truck tires, I can see no problem as long as the truck tire is the same size and load range as the original on the TrailManor.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Maybe, BUT, they are still trailer tires and per Goodyear are only speed rated at 75mph.
In Illinois the fastest (by law) a trailer should be going is 55.  I know other states may differ, but how many states legally allow a trailer to be towed at greater than 75 MPH?  I couldn't resist <g>

On a more serious note - The truck tires:  I agree with the thought that a Van will probably experience more side forces from the wind than a Trailmanor will.  I don't claim to be an expert on this (by any stretch of the imagination) but would the side forces on the tires still be greater on the trailer (2 tires total for the trailer rather than 4 for the truck) since the forces would be against half the contact point(s)?

I'd be curious to hear from those who have put truck tires on their TMs just to see if they have had success.  In the meanwhile, I've purchase a GOOD tire gauge (as suggested in one of these threads) to keep track of the tire pressure...
Old 02-24-2002, 09:37 AM   #9

I checked several web sites and a number of states allow towing at 75mph on Interstates.  A number don't even reduce the speed for 18 wheelers like Illinois does.  Years ago, we couldn't keep Carlisle tires on boat trailers and the switch to speed rated LOAD RANGE B radials solved the problem. Next time you see a full size van, see if it even has truck tires on it.  You might be surprised to see how many don't , but just have LR "B" car tires.  Same with trucks.  A new Ford F-150 Crew Cab is available with 17" car tires that only carry a maximum of 35 pounds of air for a smooth ride. Some where on this board are notes from people who are using truck tires of the proper load range and size.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
In Illinois the fastest (by law) a trailer should be going is 55. I know other states may differ, but how many states legally allow a trailer to be towed at greater than 75 MPH? I couldn't resist <g>
I think most western states (except California) have 75mph limits, legal for trailers.   I've only trailered in AZ, NV and UT though.

... and yes, sometimes up to 75mph ... ;D  Not for extended periods, though.