TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
TraceyMac

Default 2 Questions from an "almost" owner

My wife and I are almost first time owners of a 2720. We will get in in about 2 weeks - the only "if" is that it has to fit in our garage - our dealer is bringing it down to San Diego for a "test fit" - assuming it fits, we will be the owners of a near new (it is about 2 months old) 2720. Our garage is long enough and 82 inches high with a slight slope to the driveway - that is the only question.
First, I'd like to start out with a big thank you to all of the Trailmanor forums members who took the time to post so much useful information. This forum is a great resource for folks like me looking to learn about TMs and know as much as possible before we take the plunge.
I have looked around and still have a few questions that I am sure someone could answer:

1. Is there any way to charge things like cell phones, and iPods while running on 12v power only. I would have thought that a cigarette lighter receptacle would be the way to do it, but I can't find any reference to anyone with this mod, so I don't know if there is a better way, or there is something I am missing. I am sure that there are lots of TM owners whop need to charge their phones and other assorted small appliances.

2. Can anyone in San Diego recommend a good RV store to purchase the many items we will need. AS first time campers, we have a lot of stuff to purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMac View Post

1. Is there any way to charge things like cell phones, and iPods while running on 12v power only. I would have thought that a cigarette lighter receptacle would be the way to do it, but I can't find any reference to anyone with this mod, so I don't know if there is a better way, or there is something I am missing. I am sure that there are lots of TM owners whop need to charge their phones and other assorted small appliances. Thanks in advance.
We have a 2619 (I doubt if factory would have discontinued it on 2720s) and there is a 12V receptacle mounted next to the antenna booster. It's mounted on the refrigerator cabinet (on the RH side as you enter the TM). We use it for exactly what you mentioned - cell phones and iPods. Thanks to the
on- board converter, you can use this receptacle even when you're hooked up to 115V shore power.

Can't help on San Diego area RV dealers. WalMart and Camping World have lots of RV 'stuff' around here.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
donnap

Hi,
I always charge my phone in my TV.
If you have a Camping World near you that would be the place to shop. Join their Presidents Club and give you a 10% discount on everying plus other benefits. I have purchased some items on line from other companys and that is a way of saving money on some items. If you google camping supplies and equipment, there are numerous sites. Hope it fits in the garage. We have a 2720SL with the swing hitch and it fits.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Scott O

The dealer is "bringing it down" for a test fit...sounds like you are working with CustomRV in Anaheim. If so, you chose well, as they are fabulous to deal with and will go out of their way to accomodate you. As far as stores go, I was disappointed with WalMart but find Camping World carries everything I need, as well as a significant number of things I want! Closest to you would probably by the San Marcos store. Enjoy your TM...
Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Freedom

2. Can anyone in San Diego recommend a good RV store to purchase the many items we will need. AS first time campers, we have a lot of stuff to purchase.
Do you have a Wal-Mart close by? They have a lot of RV stuff and are a whole lot cheaper than Camping World - for the same items! I won't buy anything at an RV store until I check Wal-mart first. Even the little fans that many of us use in the refrigerator are available at Wal-mart for less. Lynx levelers are also available at Wal-Mart - or you can pay 20% more and get them at Camping world after the 10% off for buying their membership. So if you don't want to pay to be a member, you get to pay 30% more. . .
Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
MidwestDave

Default Is 2720 a fit

We have a 2006 / 2720 with a lift kit (+2") and a low profile A/C (+14 1/4")which makes our trailer "taller" than the standard TM. We have a eight foot apron to the garage from the alley way. This appron is at a slope of 0-15" in the eight foot run. My garage door with the door disconnected from the opener is 83" high.
We put our in the garage for the first time last month with no problems.
As for charging cell phone, there is a socket for this by the tv antennea so charging cell phone should not be a problem. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
BobRederick

TraceyMac,

You have good suggestions so far. I would suggest you put off the urges to get "everything" you need until you are sure it will be used. No sense carrying around clutter that won't be used.

Have fun!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
TraceyMac

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions for WalMart and Camping World. I will definitely try them out first.
Scott - Yes, we are buying it from Custom RV - so far they have been great. The TM is a used one, but only about 2 months old. It comes with 2 Honda 2000 generators and a WD hitch (although I haven't decided yet if I will use the WD hitch) and the dealer is putting the 40G water tank mod in for us prior to delivery.
I have read reams and reams on the WD hitch topic both here and on the Ridgeline forum. Honda recommends against the use of the WD hitch, but clearly most folks believe they are a very necessary safety addition. I am essentially getting one for "free" so I will try both with and without and see what works best for the Ridgeline.
I have downloaded the excellent checklists I found on the site and will be studying them to figure out the essentials before I go buying all of the "stuff" that I am sure to need.
Thanks again to all of you for your help.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick View Post
I would suggest you put off the urges to get "everything" you need until you are sure it will be used. No sense carrying around clutter that won't be used.
Hoo, boy, is Bob right on this one! First, don't buy anything until you see what your dealer gives you. Most dealers throw in a "beginner's kit" with a lot of goodies like sewer hose, water hose, bottle of champagne, and so forth. Just the necessities, you understand.

Then, using Mike & Kelly's checklist in the TM Technical Reference Library (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else), try to figure out what you really need, but don't have.

Having tent-camped for years, and cabin-camped for years, my wife and I originally loaded up the TM with everything we could conceivably ever have any need for in any circumstance. It was a lot of fun, but when it was over, we couldn't get into the trailer ourselves! Better to camp first, and keep a little notebook titled "I wish I had ...". After two or three trips, and multi-page lists, you will find yourself down to one or two items per trip.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
Scott O

TracyMac:

As far as the WD hitch goes...Put the TM on the Ridgeline without the WD hitch. It the back of the Ridgeline drops and the front raises, you need a WD hitch. Measure from the top of the wheelwells to the ground. Bill has posted a good article on adjusting the WD hitch. Check out 'TrailManor Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else.'