TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
wmtire

Default Tire Recall for Tow Vehicles

I thought I would share the following link about a tire recall being ordered on a Chinese tire manufacturer and distributor. These LT tires wouldn't be on your Trailmanor, but some of our members may possibly have them on their tow vehicles. This is FYI safety purposes, and if our administrators don't think it belongs here, then let me know and I (or they) can delete it.

Here is a snippet of the brands and sizes afffected so far:

According to the filing, the Hangzhou tires at issue were sold under at least four brand names -- Westlake, Compass, Telluride and YKS -- in these sizes: LT235/75R-15; LT225/75R-16; LT235/85R-16; LT245/75R-16; LT265/75R-16; and LT31X10.50-15.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070625/tire_problems.html?.v=3

I'm sorry I don't have any DOT numbers, so you can be sure, but that info has not been released yet. I need to find out, because I have actually sold some of the Westlake brand tires in a size 235/85R16.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
wmtire

One of our tire trade magazines actually got the model numbers of the tires being recalled. They are printed after the sizes of the tires in the article. Supposedly, the distributor is going to have more information posted today on their website concerning this. If I correctly understand Foreign Tire Sales attorney's letter to the NHTSA (which is available on the NHTSA website), this recall has the potential to spread across many more tire lines manufactured by the Chinese company involved, besides just the ones that Foreign sold and distributed. By reading this letter, I was able to get a DOT manufacturer code of 7D from a laboratory test report in the letter.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/t_in...t&storyID=7594

http://www.foreigntire.com/#

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
wmtire

Default Cooper Tire recall

Cooper Tire today, announced a recall on some of it's LT tires that some of our members may also have on their TV's. Here is an excerpt and link. This is another example of how registering a tire failure complaint with the NHTSA is a good idea:

Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. has voluntarily recalled 91,747 Dominator Sport A/T tires sold through Discount Tire Co. Inc.'s Discount Tire and America's Tire outlets.

A Cooper spokesman says the tires experienced a higher-than-normal adjustment rate, which led the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to begin a preliminary evaluation of the tire in July 2006.

NHTSA's original investigation into the tire began last year when its Office of Defects Investigation received a vehicle owner questionnaire (VOQ) concerning two size LT265/75R16 Dominator Sport A/T tires mounted on the rear axle of a pickup truck. The questionnaire said that the tires failed, resulting in vehicle damage.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/t_in...t&storyID=7672
Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
wmtire

Just passing this recall info along, in case any of our members may be running the tires listed on their tow vehicles. It affects Cooper branded (and Cooper manufactured) LT 265/75R16 and LT235/85R16 tires made late last year and early this year.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/t_in...t&storyID=8665
Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
wmtire

Pirelli also announced a small recall today for 235/80R17 tires. If you are running this size/brand on your tow vehicle, you may want to check into this. This is a size used on several dually trucks.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email

Excerpt:

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 8273
Summary:
PIRELLI IS RECALLING 8,273 TIRES, SIZE LT 235/80 R 17 LOAD RANGE E, PRODUCED FROM JULY 11, 2005 TO OCTOBER 30, 2007. TREAD CHUNKING, TREAD CHUNKOUT, PARTIAL TREAD SEPARATION AND/OR BELT EDGE SEPARATION CAN OCCUR.
Consequence:
ANY OF THESE CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Just passing info along to hopefully keep our members safe.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Goodyear Travels

Bobby,
Thank you so much for tire recall update. I got nervous since I just bought a set of Coopers yesterday for my pickup (265 R70 16's).
But they were the HT's not the AT's so I believe they're OK. I got 4 of them out the door with HS balance, road hazard, tax, and disposal fee for $359. Not your typical deal --- but I had to spend the entire night in line in order to take advantage of a Pep Boys Grand Opening Special that was offered to the first ten customers. I'm getting too old for this stuff. Just glad they weren't recalled. Thanks again. Eric
Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
larsdennert

Belt separation on Pirellis? That seems typical for them.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Larson View Post
Bobby,
Thank you so much for tire recall update. I got nervous since I just bought a set of Coopers yesterday for my pickup (265 R70 16's).
But they were the HT's not the AT's so I believe they're OK. I got 4 of them out the door with HS balance, road hazard, tax, and disposal fee for $359. Not your typical deal --- but I had to spend the entire night in line in order to take advantage of a Pep Boys Grand Opening Special that was offered to the first ten customers. I'm getting too old for this stuff. Just glad they weren't recalled. Thanks again. Eric
You should be good to go Eric. Your size (265/70R16) was not affected in any tire line. It was the 75 series in the 265's.

That was a GREAT deal, you got on them. Just think, with all the money you saved on those tires, you can now turn around and give it back to the oil companies.

I have been meaning to get around to talking about different types of tire recalls that you may encounter (and the importance of registering your tires, so you can be notified of a recall). Most people don't realize that you CAN register your tires and that tire dealers are required by government regulations (although it's loosely enforced) to give you a registration card at the time of purchase. It will be lengthy and will take awhile to type. I'll try to get it all together and post it quickly as possible.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
wmtire

Here are a few more recall notices I received today, that may affect your tow vehicles:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 09T007

Synopsis:
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, LLC (BATO) is recalling 127,183 Firestone FR380 tires, size P235/75R15, manufactured from September 9, 2007 through July 2, 2008. These tires were produced with insufficient tread base gauge. Continued use of the subject tires may lead to vibration and groove cracking. Extended use could lead to tread distortion or tread separation and loss of vehicle control. BATO will notify owners and replace the affected tires free of charge. BATO will also mount and balance the replacement tires, all at no charge or expense to the owner. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about June 29, 2009. Owners may contact BATO toll-free at 1-800-465-1904 or visit their website at www.firestonetire.com.
For more information for this particular recall, please go to 09T007.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 09T008

Synopsis:
Kumho Tire USA is recalling 36,292 Kumho Mohave A/T light truck all terrain tires, sizes LT225/75R16, LT245/75R16, and LT265/75R16, produced between December 7, 2008 and June 13, 2009. The vehicle's handling performance becomes difficult when operated under loaded conditions or when changing lanes. This condition may result in the vehicle swaying and could possibly result in a crash. Kumho will notify owners and replace the tires free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during July 2009. Owners may contact Kumho toll-free at 1-800-445-8646.
For more information for this particular recall, please go to 09T008.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
mtnguy

Bobby, thanks for keeping us updated on all of these recalls. So far, so good here, but you never know what is around the corner.