TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
I think that the large difference which Toyota presents in "official" towing capacity is mostly for marketing purposes. I don't know if you noticed this from earlier comments or searches on other Threads: I'm in a totally unique situation to compare the current 4Runner models (V8 and V6) for towing Trailmanors-- I've owned BOTH, towed my TM with BOTH, and driven up and down mountain passes with BOTH. If your 4R is a new one, then my word is the law about this, at least as far as 2619/2720 are concerned.
Rickst29, not to ambush this topic, but given your unique experience (assuming a 2720), is there any reason to buy the new 8 cylinder 4runner versus the 6, or are the differences trivial under average conditions (i.e. occasional mountain use, within weight limits)? Thanks - I'm a potential new TM owner (2720SL).
Old 07-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Allen1124

We have a 2720 that is towed with a Ford Explorer (V-8).
A GM Yukon or Chevy Tahoe would also be great tow vehicles.
We went through the same research process and here are our conclusions.
We had a Ford Windstar with 80,000 miles, with a tow rating of 3,500 lbs.
Although we were told that it would be adequate, we didn't want to strain the van. We looked at many SUVs, including the 4-Runner and others.
We feel more comfortable having a tow rating of 5,000 lbs.
We have a WDH and I agree that it is necessary. Not a big deal to hook up.
We don't have a sway bar and agree that it is not necessary.
Warning: the TM is so easy to tow, you might forget it is back there!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
PopBeavers

As I said in a different thread today, though my 2005 TM 2720 has a listed weight of 2742, when I weighed it the axle weighed 3380 pounds. My guess is that total weight is a little over 4000 pounds.

Just the water alone (40+6) weighs 383 pounds.

Any TM that weighs less than 3500 pounds very likely:
1. has no options (a/c, awning)
2. has no water (fresh or gray)
3. has no cargo (food, drinks, pots, pans)

Using the 80 percent rule that many people are the most comfortable with, and assuming the trailer is at least close to 4000 pounds when fully loaded means you really ought to have a towing capacity of very close to 5000 pounds.

In a panic stop situation, you get exactly one try at a safe stop. I don't care how slow I go up the hill. I do care how fast I can stop if I slam on the brakes while towing.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
Karen1234

Default More 4Runner questions.

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are considering to buy a 3326 King trailmanor and we plan to tow it with our 03 4Runner V8 4.7L, but from what I've read could this even be possible to do? Anyone with information or threads to where I can find information, please send them my way.

Thank you
Karen
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb 4runner 6-cyl is nice; 8-cyl is more engine than you probably need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Rickst29, not to ambush this topic, but given your unique experience (assuming a 2720), is there any reason to buy the new 8 cylinder 4runner versus the 6, or are the differences trivial under average conditions (i.e. occasional mountain use, within weight limits)? Thanks - I'm a potential new TM owner (2720SL).
For reference by other readers (Rich is already set, he moved up to bigger TM and got a bigger TV-- the Sequoia-- to match): Even in aggressive mountain driving, grades up to 15% or so, I recommend the 6 cyl. At all times, the engine is slightly noisier, and you'll often be in 4th or 3rd gear-- maybe even second. But the $1000 less purchase price and better gas mileage make the 6 cyl a winner in my book.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #16
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Red face I don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen1234 View Post
My husband and I are considering to buy a 3326 King trailmanor and we plan to tow it with our 03 4Runner V8 4.7L, but from what I've read could this even be possible to do? Anyone with information or threads to where I can find information, please send them my way.
The best place to read is this one,
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5966

from #9 on onwards. Your 4R almost certainly has enough torque and power (the post-2004 drivetrains definitely do), but the wheelbase is VERY SHORT for such a big trailer.

On the other hand, the 3326 has a bit less risk of dangerous "tail wagging the dog" than the 3124 which Rich owns-- because it has two axles, and that tends to increase the direction stability (in comparison to the single-axled 3124). Rich got a Sequoia, he and I feel a lot better about that choice.

I wouldn't do it (4R towing 3326). Everyone in the forum knows me to be among the most CHICKEN of TM owners on this issue, and maybe you could get away with it. But remember-- every year, 10x more Americans die in vehicle accidents than have died in the entire Iraq war. Hardly any of these people understood just how dangerous driving really is, not until AFTER they found themselves looking "down" at us from Heaven.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
jack & cindy hamilton

Default towing with 4runner/wd hitch

many thanks to rick29 and to all who responded. your help pointed me to the right choice for a hitch and setup.
i have now taken a few trips in cen pa and even with the mountains and hills i got 18.6mpg - i'm sure that i would get 20+mpg on a flat interstate.
no sway and no feeling that the front end was too light.

only prob was that the 4runner is the most uncomfortable car i have ever owned (22cars and counting), seat cramped and hard. hurts my artificial hip. i'm looking for one of those squishy seat cushions like they use on wheel chairs. but so far no luck.

this is making me feel real old. hope i can hide the cushion when i get out so that i don't look like my grampy.

jack
Old 09-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
jbrooks

Two Questions...when you say "old" 4Runner, I guess my '99 counts as that. It's a 6 cylinder SR 5 w/tow package. I plan on keeping it as it only has 85,000 miles on it. Seems like everyone wants to buy it from me. Also where can I find the "Robin" WDH you are so proud of??? On line would be good as I live 60 miles from the nearest small city. Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #19
larsdennert

I remember when I bought my 4Runner the seat was very uncomfortable and hard. I got back pain and I was in my early 30's. Eventually it broke in and is now very comfortable to me. Seems like that's how Toy seats are.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks View Post
where can I find the "Robin" WDH you are so proud of??? On line would be good as I live 60 miles from the nearest small city. Thanks
Camping World, get the 1000 lb model. Sometimes they offer 'em on Sale, and/or with reduced shipping. (So if you're already closed-up for the winter, maybe see if you can save another $50 or so by waiting a couple of months.)