TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
mtnguy

Default Storage Options

Even though I have been reading the forum threads, I just now registered and posting my 1st question.

We bought a 2003 Trail Manor 2720 in November 06 for about 1/3 of the price paid new. Other than the customary roof vent leaks (which I have fixed already) and being filthy with black streaks and algae on the outside (which is now spic & span), everything seems to work properly, and it seems to be in great shape. We think we got a good deal.

Now, back to the main question. In reading some of the threads about storage and covers, no where did I read about leaving the TM raised for storage. I would like to leave ours in the raised position as a "redneck" guest cottage for overflow guests, and also as a place to go to when I need to hide from the missus when necessary. Is leaving the TM in the raised position OK? Would a full size TT cover (1 that has a zip up area for the door) work for this, just realizing that you I would have to bungee the lower ends down? Or would it just be as simple to buy a pop-up cover and raise the TM when needed, instead of going to all of the trouble of installing a regular TT cover in the raised position.....only the wife would know when I am out there with this option.

After owning a pop-up that stayed down except for stocking and traveling, I want to leave the TM raised except for travel, and just wondering if that is doable.

Anxious for spring so we can try it out.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There should be no problem leaving the TM in the raised position for a long period of time. If you want to actually use it while it is up, I'm not sure how a cover would work, since a cover would turn it into a cave by blocking all the windows and vents. And installing or removing a cover from an already-raised TM might be a challenge. Think two people on ladders.

I'm sure there was at least one thread that discussed putting a cover on a raised TM, for purposes of storage. Take another look - I'm sure it was in one of the "covers" discussions (there have been several).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
mtnguy

Thanks, I will look further at other threads.

Some how, I think I posted this to the wrong category....where did I go wrong??
Old 01-31-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
wwjam

Default Cover for TM

Hi mtnguy... We keep our trailer on the side of the house, open, and under a heavy plastic cover that fits over poles and zips up on one end. It wasn't quite high enough though so my husband set some concrete blocks under the pole legs. Now we have in it's own shelter, and we can go in and out of the trailer whenever we want to. All we have to do is unzip one side of the front panel. To pull the trailer out of there we just roll up the whold panel. This cover works great for us.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ght=cover+open

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ght=cover+open

I don't know if you can open these as a trial member, but give it a shot.

You "redneck guest house" has got to look better than these:

http://webcsc.tripod.com/Topics/imag...kPix/Guest.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/96/254601417_4d764a4ab8_s.jpg
Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

My take on covers is in one of the referenced threads above so I won't repeat it. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in relation to storage is uninvited guests. We had a pair of field mice bed down in our TM when it was stored at a nearby RV park while we were moving into our house. Sticky mouse traps, a HEPA vac and disinfectant took care of that problem. Our other misadventure was when we still had the 5th wheel and I discovered a huge hornets nest in the trailer's hollow 5th wheel hitch. Fortunately the hornets and I discovered each other at the same time while I was buckling the 5th wheel hitch in the back of our pickup and I was able to make it to the truck cab before they caught me. A few miles on the hwy at 70mph set the hornets free, so to speak. I doubt anyone has ever approached a 5th wheel hitch as cautiously as I did when we finally stopped however.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
mtnguy

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the very useful information. I was reluctant to get on this fourm, but now will be more likely to use this for most of my TM questions.

To Texas Camper: We are mostly 3 season campers, but did spend New Years night in the Shenandoah Mountains of Virginia (about 3 miles from WVa) a couple of years ago in our pop-up.
And I will check out the tires carefully, and probably replace them in the near future. Gotta do those wheel bearings also.

To fcatwo: I keep several sticky strips, and some D-con in my campers over winter. When we bought the TM, a mouse had devastated a roll of toilet paper under the bathroom sink. And I just don't like finding those little chocolate sprinkles all over the place.