TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
unlurking

Found what seems to be a pretty detailed towing manual for the Sport Trac...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...rttrac9-15.pdf

I have been trying to find a new TV (so that I can pick up a 2720) in Colorado. I have been checking out all of the full size trucks due to expecting most towing to be through the mountains, and recommendation from many posters here. Unfortunately, this will be my daily driver as well (20,000+ miles a year just for work). This presents some interesting quandries. I really don't want to drive a large truck that much. Also, I'll obviously want most of the "comfort features" spending that much time in the vehicle. A full-size fully loaded is between 40-45k for most brand new vehicles, while a fully loaded Sport Trac can be picked up for around 30k.

I am seriously considering the new '07 models with the increased performance specs (though might wait until early spring for an '08) as TakingTerns mantioned.

If RockyMtnRay or any other Colorado area TMer could review the linked PDF, I would be grateful for any opinions.

To be honest, I will probably do most of my towing up I-24 (I'm in Monument) and less up I-70, so being stuck at 35mph behind semis isn't much of a concern. I just want to make sure I can get wherever I am going safely, and am willing to plan ahead to avoid some mountain driving problems read on here (such as leaving early in the morning).

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #12
masterge

I just bought an 07 Avalanche. MPG is better than every other comparable V8 of it's size. Creature comforts are great and interior refinements are much more closer to what you expect in the interior of a Toyota vice an American mnaufacturer. They also just increased their warranty of engine/frive train to the best in class among the Americans. I had sworn off American vehicles until I saw the new 07 Av. I do beleive that the 07 Silverado and GM pick-ups will also also the Active Fuel Management engine. MPG is better than all in this engine as lone as you don't buy the flex-fuel E-85 engine.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #13
unlurking

masterge,

I looked at the Avalanche as well, very nice looking rig. When I did some custom builds on the site, they were 40k+ including 4WD (a must for me with a 60 mile one way trip to work).
Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
masterge

I got an LT1 2WD for just under 30K and could have had a 4WD at around 33K. I never used the 4WD on the Tundra that I had prior my Av so I figured, no sense on spending the extra money this time.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
TakingTerns

Unlurking-I just checked the SportTrac towing tips link you recommended. There's some pretty good info there. Thanks. It also refers to a complete Ford RV and towing tips brochure at this address:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...VTTgde9-18.pdf
that adds some good info that is not in the SportTrac brochure (along with towing info on Ford's complete line of trucks, SUVs and vans. Some of this info is pretty good stuff for trailering newbies to see, with definitions of towing terms and towing equipment, how to weigh a vehicle and other good stuff that applies to towing with any brand of motor vehicle.

(I haven't owned a Ford for over 40 years, so I have no bias toward their products.)
Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default OK with the 4.6 V8; not good for Colo with the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlurking View Post
Found what seems to be a pretty detailed towing manual for the Sport Trac...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...rttrac9-15.pdf

I have been trying to find a new TV (so that I can pick up a 2720) in Colorado. I have been checking out all of the full size trucks due to expecting most towing to be through the mountains, and recommendation from many posters here. Unfortunately, this will be my daily driver as well (20,000+ miles a year just for work). This presents some interesting quandries. I really don't want to drive a large truck that much. Also, I'll obviously want most of the "comfort features" spending that much time in the vehicle. A full-size fully loaded is between 40-45k for most brand new vehicles, while a fully loaded Sport Trac can be picked up for around 30k.

I am seriously considering the new '07 models with the increased performance specs (though might wait until early spring for an '08) as TakingTerns mantioned.

If RockyMtnRay or any other Colorado area TMer could review the linked PDF, I would be grateful for any opinions.

To be honest, I will probably do most of my towing up I-24 (I'm in Monument) and less up I-70, so being stuck at 35mph behind semis isn't much of a concern. I just want to make sure I can get wherever I am going safely, and am willing to plan ahead to avoid some mountain driving problems read on here (such as leaving early in the morning).

Thanks!
If you get the optional V8, you'll do OK. The V6 is simply not enough engine at Colorado's altitudes.

As for the strategy of sort-of-sneaking-over-the-mountains the "back way" via US24 instead of a more "head-on attack" via I70, I tried that for 2 towing seasons when I had a 4.0L I-6 powered Jeep (with more torque than the V6 SportTrac). It only sorta works...for a while: Sooner or later you're going to need to cross one of the other challenging passes (e.g. Monarch, Rabbit Ears, Berthoud, etc.). And it will only take one or two tries on those non-I70 routes before you realize you are so underpowered that every such crossing is going to be slow, painful misery for you and the vehicle. Never forget that Rabbit Ears has 7 miles of 7% on the west side; Monarch has nearly 10 miles of 6% grades on both sides. Such misery might be tolerable for the out-of-staters who are making a once-in-a-lifetime trip "out west"; it won't be tolerable for any Coloradan who wants the freedom to readily roam to any part of the state. Not to mention that there's a heckuva lot of wasted time if you have to backtrack south from Monument some 25 miles down to Colo Spgs before you can go back northwest into the mountains via US24 and Colo Hwy 9. If the destination is the central mountains, it's at least an hour quicker to go via I25 and I70 if you can maintain at least 55 mph and thereby avoid the left lane restrictions on I70. With the V8 you can maintain 55; with the V6 you'll be behind the sloooowwwww semis and motorhome RVs (aka "rolling roadblocks") at 25-35 mph.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #17
unlurking

Taking Terns,

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out! (Having owned 4 Fords in my life I may be kind of biased, but I do like them)

RockyMtnRay,

The DW's vehicle is a 2003 4.0 V6 Explorer, and that I am not too comfortable with. That is why I am looking at a V8 with some more power. The '07 Sport Trac is "only" a 4.6 V8, but considering how light the TV itself is, I was thinking this should be OK as well.

Too bad I missed the Chapel Hills Phil Long sale (ended yesterday). Any new '06 model, 0.0 APR for 72 months (regardless of credit). Would have picked up an F-150 5.4 V8 FX4. Day late, dollar short. Guess I'm still waiting until Spring.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #18
pbuck1

You might note that the V6 has a higher rear axle ratio (3.73:1) and the V8 has the lower ratio (3.55). This explains at least in part the minimal fuel economy difference between the two engine options (about 1 mpg). The guide suggests that the higher rear axle ratio is also available for the V8 as an option. IMHO it would be a good compromise, despite the bonus towing ability gain, not to take up this option since you will probably want the fuel economy for your everyday commuting use.

Just a thought from a non-Coloradoan.

-Paul
Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Paul -

You're right about the rear axle ratios. On my 2002 Explorer, the "factory tow package" included a 3.73 rear end, mandatory. I noticed that this year's offerings don't include that. Not sure why - CAFE, I suppose - but I'm pretty enthusiastic about the 3.73 on my Explorer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #20
Cobra500

I pull a 3023 easily at 55 mph over (Utah) mountain passes and 70 on flats with a '98 4.0 OHV Explorer Sport 4x4 (2 doors, short version)- it has 4.10 axles and WDH (big 33" dia off-road tires make the gearing more like a 3.8 axle btw). The combo is very stable.

The engine/5-speed transmission does an excellent job keeping the motor in the torque band as needed. FWIW, Id prefer the better gas mileage with the 6 all-the-time over getting an occasional 5-10 mph more with a V8. I get around 17 mpg, dont know how economical the current crop of larger V8's are.

Id probably go for a wider TV if I ever need more power than my current vehicle- point is, the Ford 4.0 six does a good job towing medium loads like our TM's- you probably won't need to change to a larger TV unless you want to for other reasons.