TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
pbuck1

To reply to your original topic, Bill, I think the Goodyear clerk was blowing smoke. Funny how the tire's never at fault when a warranty claim comes up.
I looked back at the information given by Goodyear on their site. It states quite clearly 65mph and 1870lbs @ 50psi right there in the same row in the load table.
Furthermore, it then says that you can inflate the tire 10psi more than the stated pressure for the maximum rating in order to drive between 66mph and 75mph. So, if the wheel can take it and your not on a dirt road, you should be able to inflate to 60psi, drive at 65mph and so gain even more margin.
(my wheels just state max load 1870lbs but do not state a max pressure, so I guess it would be OK)
I think it must be that the manufacturers just do not put the same care into trailer tires as they do into auto tires where there is more competition and more exposure to lawsuits.

When I was looking into getting my new tires I googled a lot of Carlisle tire failure reports, but also a lot of Marathon reports, too. Maybe this is because there are so many more Marathons out there, but I decided to try another brand (Tow-Master) in any case. I'll let you know how they perform.

-Paul
Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Paul -

Thanks for your comments. The Goodyear website isn't nearly as helpful as it looks at first. There is a lot of ambiguity. For example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuck1
I looked back at the information given by Goodyear on their site. It states quite clearly 65mph and 1870lbs @ 50psi right there in the same row in the load table.
Yup, I see this quite clearly.
Quote:
Furthermore, it then says that you can inflate the tire 10psi more than the stated pressure for the maximum rating in order to drive between 66mph and 75mph.
Yup, I see this quite clearly, too. I read it as saying that if you increase the pressure, you can drive faster with the same rated load. Your assumption (quite reasonable, I think) is that this means
Quote:
you should be able to inflate to 60psi, drive at 65mph and so gain even more margin.
But later on in the same document, under "Effects of Higher Speeds", it says "Tire load-carrying capability decreases as speed increases." Nothing more - it doesn't quantify this at all. But it sounds like what the clerk was talking about.

What the load tables don't tell you is whether increasing the pressure beyond the "rated pressure", but maintaining the same speed, increases or decreases the load-carrying capacity. The load table needs one more line - what happens if you raise the pressure beyond "rated pressure"? If load capacity turns around and decreases beyond rated pressure, maybe you can't drive faster unless you also decrease the weight. My head is spinning!

Quote:
I think it must be that the manufacturers just do not put the same care into trailer tires as they do into auto tires where there is more competition and more exposure to lawsuits.
You may very well be right, but it doesn't make me feel much better.

All this ambiguiuty is why I think TM needs to move away from the hairy edge of the ratings, and use a more capable tire.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I recall that someone here found 15" wheels that fit the 14" bolt pattern of the TM's 3500lb axles. Going to higher rated tires without going to the 5000lb axle would be my choice if it is possible. Like others have done, I spent time last night googling tire failures and both Carlisle and Marathon are legendary in that regard.

It may be that there is no option but to replace my tires with more 14" Marathons but I intend to check the manufacturing date of anything I buy before they are installed. IOTM that buying tires that are already 2-3yrs old is possible otherwise.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
bill s

Angry tire failures

i'm about to start my search for new tires....i have a 3124kb ...
i did place heavy duty truck mud flaps behind each wheel as a preventive
??? an idea i got from this site...i'm thinking of changing this to a welded steel
plate...
has anyone had an opportunity to do any analysis / investigation as to why
the marathons blow up???? I'm sure most of us are quite aware of temperature
and overloading etc.......
are there better options than the marathons ????

thanks bill s....
Old 06-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
Freedom

Has anybody used light truck tires? My 2000 2619 is in need of tires and I was thinking of getting pickup tires instead of trailer tires. I haven't been to any tire stores yet. I was just wondering if someone has tried that option. I also am leaning toward putting on 15" wheels and a lift kit.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
Jim-NY

This is probably a dumb thought, but among friends … Before I learned better on this forum, I towed my fully loaded ‘02 2720SL with the factory 14” Marathons well over 65 mph a few thousand miles without incident. I am sure I ran many miles at 75 and hit 80 a few times. If you can get past the thought of how ignorant I was , is it possible now that I am committed to never exceeding 65 mph again, that these 4 year old tires, having passed that “test”, may be better than a set of un-tested new tires?

Jim
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #17
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Jim

We've logged quite a few miles at 70 or so but I rationalize it by saying we were 5-700lbs below our tire's 3740lb max weight limit and therefore safe per Goodyear's web site. It's my observation that many if not most 5th wheels and trailers I've seen on the road were also well above 65 so we are not alone in that regard. Bill wasn't driving over 65 so less speed doesn't automatically mean safer driving. I'm guessing better tires (and possibly better luck) means safer driving.

On that point, there was discussion about a year ago between two or three people who were considering upgrading to 15" tires on their 3500lb axles or upgrading both their tires and axles. Does anyone know if someone actually did either as a retrofit? I'm strongly considering going to 15" tires if I can find wheels that fit. It was mentioned that TM does not recommend putting 15" tires on the 3500lb axles because they haven't tested and certified that combination. I'm willing to take a chance on 15" tires on the 3500lb axle as I can't see how they can possibly be less safe than the 14" tires.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #18
Senorsedona

Thumbs up 15" rims

I had a 2720SD and found 15" rims at 'Big O" I did have the lift kit and everything worked out great.
Since I have gone to a 3427KS, no I'm looking for 15" ALL steel belted. I'm not quite ready yet.

Good luck...........

Jack
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #19
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Missing DOT Coding Info

I checked my TM's Goodyear Marathon sidewalls for date-of-manufacture information. There isn't any! Here's the DOT coding:

V08K 2JJ4 ____

According to Goodyear's web site information, the last four digits (for tires manufactured after 2000) is supposed to be four digits (ww = week and yy = year).

Also, it says these tires are manufactured in New Zealand.

What have some of the rest of you found out? what does the coding on your tires say?
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #20
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Jack

Thanks for the info. I'll run those down. I'm thinking I'll use the 65psi 15" marathons and run them at 50psi. I have the 2" lift. Might mention that my local dealer quoted $253.13 for three ST215/75R-14C Tow Max tires mounted and balanced that are made in China -- said they are great. I guess I'm not that desperate yet but they could be OK. Our Marathons were made in Canada and have been no problem in approx 25K of use.

Virginia

Not finding weight info on the front of the tires on our 2002 2619 I uncovered the spare and found the date is on the back only. It was made the 42nd week (Oct) of 2000 which means I should have replaced them a year ago. The rim has an 05-01 stamped on it which I assume means it was made then. The TM was made in Aug of 2001. The rim doesn't show a PSI limit but shows an 1870 weight limit which is the same as the Marathon 14" tires.