TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Bill Gray

Question E 150 Vs E350

Hello forum!!!!! We have a 2007 2720 on order and have decided to upgrade from a honda Oddy to the E-series Ford vans... Today we were presented with the option of a 2005 E150 5.4L V8 or 2005 E350 5.4L V8. Both have approximately 23,000 miles and are in about the same shape, and are the same price give or take $100. Is the E350 overkill with the TM . We do not see it mentioned on search. Anyone with any advice????? We have tried internet comparison but it doesn't compare the two sizes...just comparable vans.....Help?!? We have 2 adults and 3 kids and possibly 2 dogs (one big and one medium) that will be going in the TV.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
pbuck1

Here's a link that gives some comparisons:
http://www.seiner.com/WestyFAQ/index.php/AboutTheWesty
The site is a van conversion site: their opinions will be based on the vehicles will be a bit heavier than standard (after conversion) I would think.
With the E150 tow capacity at around 6400lbs it is more than up to the job of towing a 2720. My list would go like this:

Everyday use, driveability (more car-like ride, etc.) E150
Gas consumption/weight E150
Most towing of a TM2720 E150 or E350
Towing at high altitudes/steep grades (e.g. Rockies) E350
Very heavily loading the vehicle up with people and gear E350
Some maintenance items (e.g. brakes) E350
Getting more vehicle for same money E350

For my use, I would want to tend towards the E150 because most of the vehicle's use would be everyday - I would want more driveability and better mpg - and I wouldn't be towing over the Rockies with a full vehicle much. However the decision would still be tough. I would want to drive both first.

Your criteria are different, I'm sure.

This probably isn't much help

-Paul
Old 06-11-2006, 06:49 AM   #3
Bill Gray

Hello Forum...esp Pbuck1... This TV will be used to tow and for special occasions....hauling a football team...or my 4yr olds entire kindergarten class to chuckie cheese (heaven forbid). We plan on keeping the Honda Oddy for around town.. (it is paid off and more economical for every day). We have a 4yr old and twin 2 1/2 yr olds....they are only going to get bigger...and get friends....(providing we tie the proverbial porkchop around their necks...) lol The E150 is 8 passenger and the E350 is a 12 passenger because of the extra seat....it could be removed... if not needed. The issue with us is do we get more than we need now...where in the future with bigger kids and more stuff we mig.ht be happy we got "more vehicle for the money"
Old 06-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill Gray -

Does either one have a factory-installed towing package? This will usually include a higher-numerical-ratio rear end, a transmission cooler, a Class III/IV hitch receiver, and a 7-way electrical plug near the hitch. These are all good things to have.

Does either one have a tow/haul mode on the transmission? I wish that my Explorer had it.

PBuck touched on an important point - WHERE do you plan to tow? If you stay in the flatlands of the midwest, a great many tow vehicles will be "adequate". If you plan to get into the Rockies or high Sierras, the combination of steep grades and high altitudes (where the engine can't breathe) puts more limits on your choices.

Just some thoughts ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Bill Gray

If you are looking for someone to say, "get the E-350", I'm happy to do that. It won't be as economical as the 150 or ride as softly but it is far more vehicle. Airport shuttle companies put huge miles on those things and run them day and night without stop -- just change drivers and keep rolling. It's likely 7-800lbs heavier than the E-150, has a HD transmission, HD brakes and probably HD everything else of importance. If the mileage is correct and it's in good shape it should last you forever.

And it's macho -- Think gentle steer vs rodeo bull :-).
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
Gateway

The 150 will have a smoother ride and get better milage. THe 350 will have a 4.10 rear end which will impove towing power and also reduce MPG.

Have you looked at the GM(Chevy&GMC) vans?
The GM vans are a more modern design and the fords haven't changed in almost 20 years(this is why the customizers like the Fords).

When removing seats from the ford, they are bolted to angle irons on the floor, the angle irons stay when the seats are out and stick up from the floor.
The GM seats are atached with pins to below floor pockets and the floor is flat when the seats are out.

The 2003 on up GM 1500's with the 5.3 engine get upto 21mpg.

One note, the E150 and E350 are the exact same size unless the 350 is the extended version.

Also the E350 is available with the Turbodiesel which is a great option.

The Ford and Dodge extended vans keep the standard wheelbase and have a large overhang in the rear. The GM's extend the wheelbase of the extended vans and and the distance from the rear axel to the bumper is the same as the standard van. I don't know if this affects towing capability, but someone on this board should know.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
arrondo

Default I'll second that!

I say get the E350. Heavy Duty means peace of mind, especially if you anticipate filling all the seats and/or pulling something long distance.

I work for a door-to-door airport shuttle company in Seattle, and our vans roll about 120K/year. Our newer vans are all Fords and I like them a lot (our older vans are Dodge Ram vans, and we have no Chevys or GMCs). They ride well when empty, even smoother when full, and have plenty of power even when loaded with 10 full-size adults and luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo
Bill Gray

If you are looking for someone to say, "get the E-350", I'm happy to do that. It won't be as economical as the 150 or ride as softly but it is far more vehicle. Airport shuttle companies put huge miles on those things and run them day and night without stop -- just change drivers and keep rolling. It's likely 7-800lbs heavier than the E-150, has a HD transmission, HD brakes and probably HD everything else of importance. If the mileage is correct and it's in good shape it should last you forever.

And it's macho -- Think gentle steer vs rodeo bull :-).
Old 06-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Doug W.

Well I can speak from experience. I have a E-150 Conversion Van I use at home, but drive an E-350 at work. I actually have the 5.8L and at work they have the 5.4L. I also have a larger trailer than you are looking at as I have a 3124KB. The TM tows fine even in the mountains and I picked it up in Pheonix, AZ and brought it back to Kansas Citty, MO. The only problem I had towing was when a dumb 18-wheeler (not all just this one) pulled out in front of me and two others towing trailer going about 30 or 35 MPH. I had trouble getting back up to speed, because I did not like the RPMs the engine was turning. I did get back up to 45 to 50 MPH though until I got to a less steep grade and then got back up to 65MPH. The other two that were towing could not keep up with me. I think they were in the 30 to 35 MPH for quite a while. We use my personal van when a bunch of us go to lunch, no problems. I also would never get an E-350 unless I have no choice. My E-150 with the trailer in tow has a smoother ride than the E-350 I drive at work. The E-350 just beats you to death. I have not noticed much difference in fuel milage, but the two vans do not have the same engine.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
2manypets
Site Sponsor

Although I have no personal experience, I have been told that the insurance premium on a bigger (12 passenger) van is quite high. You might want to check with your insurance agent before you make a decision.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Bill Gray

Hey forum!!!! We found another E350 that has only 14,400 miles ....so approximately 22,000 miles left on warranty... the van is immaculate and has (drum roll please) a brand new $1500 DVD system with infrared headphones. and for only $1000 more than the previous E350 and E150. It is a 2005. It is now sitting in the place of honor in front of the house....... sold!!!!! We plan to use the van for family outings, camping as a TV, Church outings and what ever else .....but not for everyday. Most use will be "loaded down" so maybe we will not be "beaten to death".... Thank you all so much for your opinions and comments....this forum is the BEST!!!!!!