TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
victor310

Default Equalizer install (1st. try)

Well i finally started to install the wdh on the #2619,i can tell you that after using all my strengh, sorry but i gave up and im going to have my dealer install, i got as far as being able to put one arm on the l bracket, the one on the hinge side i almost rupture myself w.o moving it towards the bracket. I loosened the the socket bolts and was able to move them a little better(after really lubricating the piece and getting rid of thepaint, but when i torquemdown to waht they say 45lbs. torque, i dont think even Hercules could move them.So 1- it did not come setat 45 lbs. if i was able to move them before loosen them, all i can tell you guys is that after only one arm on, i measured front wheel and it read the same as on level ground meas. 33" from the ground. I conould loosen socketsmount bar and tighten to 45 lbs.again after the arms are on, but are they going to flex once on the road?Sorry guys im kind of getting frustated , i thought these would be easier ormaybeits just me making a big deal out of nothing. ill see on tuesday when i take it to have it installed. Have a great Sunday
Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I may not be following this thread very well but having installed an Equal-i-zer brand hitch recently I do have these observations. The bars for the hitch, when initially pinned to the hitch head (the big chunk of steel with the ball) are VERY stiff. What I did was to put the hitch into the receiver, lube the snot out of the bar receptacles pivot points, pin the bars in place and, using a 5' piece of pipe, proceeded to "walk" the bars back and forth to relieve this initial "stiffness". Then I proceeded as Texas Camper instructed. I had to crank up on the tongue jack quite a long way to get the bars into the L-bracket. The second time I was a bit lazier and used the Snap Up lever when I got the bars in the general vicinity of the L-bracket. I have always carried 2 pieces of pipe 3' long, 1 slides inside the other to make an extension handle for the lug wrench. (For when the meatballs at the tire place get overzealous with the impact tool!!! ) I could also slide these over the Snap Up lever to aid in installation. I found this hitch installation and adjustment a piece of cake. I hope this is of some help. If not, repost and we'll go from there.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Default ps

We use this hitch on the wife's Jimmy. Not the Sierra
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote