TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2005, 07:41 AM   #11
BobRederick

I have a GMC Envoy, not the biggest TV around. I need extension mirrors and would be driving blind without. I have the McKesh. They are very good except they interfer with opening & closing my windows. They have an "L" that goes down into the window slot and it hits the window as the window closes. I have been unable to solve that. But yes, a mirror will be necessary.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
ameridan

We don't use the mirror extensions, but I imagine they would improve rear vision. The brakes and rear springs are sure beefier than the Chrysler minivan we used to tow with!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
Bill & Lisa

My TV is a Trailblazer - stable mate of an Envoy. I also use mirrors. check out the universal towing mirrors in the middle of the page at this site. http://www.mirrormirror.com/
Old 11-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
hingarfi

Default Towing Mirrors For Envoy/Trailblazer

For what it's worth: My experience with TrailBlazer tow mirrors.

I tried the "Universal Towing Mirrors" on my 2002 TrailBlazer and could never get them to stay in place. Maybe my mirrors are shaped differently from the Envoy (or I am inept). The rubber pads fell off and I quickly tossed these mirrors in the trash and bought the McKesh. The McKesh do slightly interfere with the window closing but I pull gently on the window as it closes so minimize the contention.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick
I need extension mirrors and would be driving blind without. I have the McKesh. They are very good except they interfer with opening & closing my windows. They have an "L" that goes down into the window slot and it hits the window as the window closes. I have been unable to solve that.
Bob -

Don't open the windows all the way! In other words, don't lower the glass below the level of the L-shaped foot.

Actually, on my vehicle, I can lower the glass all the way if the vehicle is not moving. Once the vehicle is moving, wind pressure on the mirror head tries to swing the entire assembly backward, and the foot is pushed inward into the path of the glass.

You should be able to lower the window fully with the vehicle stopped. If not, move the under-door hook a bit forward (or back, if the front L-foot is the one that is catching). Once moving, though, I don't think there is anything you can do. Anyone had better luck?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #16
BobRederick

Bill

My problem is with binding of the McKesh mirrors against the glass. The issue of catching on the edge of the window when it is opened is real also. I mitigate that by having the mirror high or at least straight out. I think you suggested that. But the bend in the "L" is what binds against the glass. The tape is about gone but that gets smeared on the glass from top to bottom. I fear it will scratch the glass.

I have the straps running from the roller over towards the door and down along the door. That is the only way I could prevent the straps from buzzing in the wind. That reduces the outward pressure on the "L" and may agrivate the window dragging and binding.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The foot actually touches the glass when the vehicle is not moving? OUCH! I just checked mine, and neither foot touches the glass. You clearly need more outward force on the horizontal arm, to pull the L-feet away from the glass.

Have you tried
1. shorten the diagonal arm (this step lowers the mirror head toward the ground, of course), and then
2. move the mirror head back up by adjusting the "buckle" where the lower end of the diagonal arm grips the nylon strap?

My guess would be that the buckle is too low, and so the diagonal arm is very long in order to get the mirror head up where you want it. If the diagonal arm is almost vertical, it will generate too little outward force to pull the feet away from the surface of the glass.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #18
Geoffrey Card

Default WDH for Toyota Highlander

Dan -

You mention that you tow with a Toyota Highlander and that you use a WDH. I have recently had my 05 Highlander fitted with a Class 111 hitch and will shortly be collecting a used TM2720 which comes complete with a WDH. I was alarmed yesterday to read that no hitch manufacturer recommends using a WDH with a Highlander (not sure why?). I am aware that not only you but many peole are towing Trailmanors using Toyota Highlander or Lexus 300 SUV's complete with weight distribution hitchs.
Are you aware of this situation, what has your towing experience been and am I ok to go ahead and use a WDH with my Highlander?
Geoff Card
Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #19
ameridan

I was told "off the record" by a large trailer hitch retailer that since the expected sales volume of hitches for the Highlander/Lexus series was low, the hitch manufacturers didn't feel it was worth the expense to certify, so naturally they can't recommend their use, as you will note on the label afixed to the hitch. The same weldnuts that the hitch is bolted to are used for the tie-downs for the boat ride from Japan, and those forces can be much more severe than pulling a trailer.

Officially, you can not go after the hitch manufacturer should you have a mishap though, even if Toyota installs the hitch (read the label). Two factors in our favor though are the low-profile of the TrailManor and the placement of the axle. Not only is the wind resistance cut way down, but there is no tendency to sway because the axle is further towards the rear than necessary. Both Toyota and Honda (Pilot) state that rather than 3500# limit, if you are towing a boat, 4500# is the limit, again because of the lower wind resistance.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:16 AM   #20
Queeniereads

We had other mirrors with suction cups originally and they kept sagging. We had to adjust them frequently. We bought McKesh mirrors this time, and we love them. We have power windows and have had no problems with windows being up or down. I thought there was some regulation about requiring extension mirrors when towing -- maybe it is a state reg. Not too sure about what I speaketh... Queeniereads akaJudi