TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
Cateye
Cateye

Default Tire Size - Covers

I would like to place an order for tire covers for my 2720SL today but forgot to measure the diameter of the tire (wheel size is 14 inches) before I left for work today. Does anyone know what the tire diameter is?...Thanks...Cateye
2003 2720SL
1999 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L V8
Quadradrive
Factory Towing Pkg.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
hal

Hello Cateye. I had a set of tire covers but found it nearly impossible to install them. The fenderwell skirt causes you to have to reach way up into the well. It is not a simple project but maybe one that can be done once a year when salting your TM away.

Hal
Old 10-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
Cateye
Cateye

Default tire cover

Good point...I forgot this little problem...I guess I'll put a piece of plywood under the fenderwell to cover them...thanks...Steve
2003 2720SL
1999 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L V8
Quadradrive
Factory Towing Pkg.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
2bcs1jrt

Default Tire Covers

I was searching the internet for tire covers and found this site. They look like they might be easier to put on the TM. Has anyone tried them?
http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/index.php?go=rv_tiresavers

Cheri
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
2bcs1jrt

That's encouraging. I do not, however have a lift kit. Do you think I can just crank up my levelers to get the clearance?
Cheri
Old 02-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

Thanks! I'll try it.
Cheri
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
2bcs1jrt

It's 29.00 for a pair. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheri
Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
tangell

I have found that I have to open my TM2720SL up to get the tire covers on, and then it is still a pain. I would save your money and use plywood per earlier recommendations. I bought an ADCO cover for folding trailers that fits the Hi-Lo up to 22'6' and it more than covers my TM and the tires.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
2bcs1jrt

I'd rather do the covers than the plywood. No reason. I thought about an over sized TT cover but mine came with a custom ADCO cover so I guess I'll use it til it falls apart. (Im not as careful with padding the sharp corners as others on the forum)
Cheri
Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Premade tire covers? This is getting way too elaborate for me. For me, a tire cover serves one purpose - keep the bright UV-laden sun off the tire. I use one when the TM is in outside storage, but never in a campground.

I use a piece of cardboard, cut from a big box. Make the piece a little wider than a tire - 24-26 inches will do. How tall? A tire height plus 6-8 inches is great. Fold the cardboard across the tall dimension, 6 inches from one end. Slip the unfolded end up under the fender skirt, put the folded end on the ground, and put a rock on it. Voila - no sun on the tire.

How many of these do I make and use? One! I have yet to find a place where the sun shines strongly on both sides of the TM. I suppose if you are way down south, and your TM is parked facing either due north or due south, you might get early morning sun on one side, and late afternoon sun on the other. But the TM tires are recessed pretty far under the body, and no real sun (10AM to 2PM kind of thing) gets under there. Of course, if your TM is parked facing east or west, then the south side gets serious sun - that's the side that needs the cover.

Other advantages. Since it is flat, it stores easily. If it blows away, I don't care. If it gets grubby, I don't care. If it gets stolen - well, who would steal a piece of cardboard?

Rather than spend $30 on pre-manufactured tire covers, I would rather spend it on - well, your choice, but I'm thinking a bottle of good wine or a case of cheap wine, an extra night in a campground, a tank of gas ...

Just my opinion - your mileage may vary.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote