TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
ameridan

We pull a 2619 with a 2004 Highlander in Michigan - no problems, however I don't know that I'd want to be driving in the Smoky Mountains with the same setup. My uneducated guess is that the hybrid might provide more torque, but that really isn't the issue. I believe I was the one that encouraged Emptynesters to give it a try, since he already had the Highlander, and as he said - it does a great job but could be marginal in mountainous territory.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
EMPTYNESTERS

You were...and thanks! We're really glad we took your advice and just "did it"! The Highlander does the job on our Ohio roadways! We're headed up to Marblehead this weekend and then down to the Mohican River the next. That might be the truest test...because the roads aren't the greatest where we camp down there. We'll let you know!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridan
We pull a 2619 with a 2004 Highlander in Michigan - no problems, however I don't know that I'd want to be driving in the Smoky Mountains with the same setup. My uneducated guess is that the hybrid might provide more torque, but that really isn't the issue. I believe I was the one that encouraged Emptynesters to give it a try, since he already had the Highlander, and as he said - it does a great job but could be marginal in mountainous territory.
Seems to me that the previous, recent discussion was about the Hybrid. Then if one considers HP, the HiHy 4WD-i produces 268 HP at 5600 rpm (3.3 L engine plus electric motor), compared to 260 HP @ 5400 rpm for the V8, 4.7 L 2006 4Runner. So if HP for mountain towing is the issue, and if the V8 4runner was the alternative, it's a dead heat. As for torque to get a load moving, the HiHy wins easily with up to 343 lb-ft from a standing start (including rear wheel motor). Otherwise it's only 247 lb-ft. Engine chimes in with212 lb-ft @4400 rpm.

Just my thoughts, FWIW,

Deny_A
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Paul Moulton

I am having some difficulty with Toyota who don't seem sure that an electronic brake controller will work with the HiHy. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #15
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

You might try looking at the discussion on this web site. May have some of your answers.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...nder-towing-2/

HMM Just realized that the poster is Ameridan. Could that be our very own........
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckul8r
You might try looking at the discussion on this web site. May have some of your answers.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...nder-towing-2/

HMM Just realized that the poster is Ameridan. Could that be our very own........
Re: Ameridan - both public profiles indicate Michigan as home base. So it would seem you're on to something.

Denny_A
Old 08-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #17
ameridan

Default Yep, it's me.

That site was very helpful in me installing my hitch and wiring right after my purchase. As I stated, torque really isn't the issue. I drove my Highlander in West Virginia and North Carolina (I loved the Outer Banks) over the last 2 weeks (without the TM) and the cruise control goes nuts when going up those mountains (downshifting). I just can't imagine how it would behave with the trailer hooked up - even though I would disengage Overdrive.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #18
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I found out long ago, while pulling the smaller popup, in those hills like VA, WVA, NC, KY I couldn't run the cruise with any comfort. No OD and with the tow/haul feature engaged, it didn't matter. Even a large HP Pickup like the Sierra would downshift, sometimes pretty hard. So, even with a crabby knee, I have to actually drive!

Glad you liked the OBX. Hope you had a chance to cruise the beach. 1 of my top 5 places to go.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #19
ameridan

Talking OBX is great!!!

Loved driving the Corolla Beach with the Highlander! The road ends and next thing you know, you're on the beach as far as the eye can see. I'm expecting a sign regarding permits or ORV stickers, but then it hits you - Go ahead and enjoy! Lots of cars and 2WD Explorers were getting stuck though.

Just got back from other great beaches on the west coast of Michigan (can't drive on them though, except for Silver Lake I guess) - Hoffmaster State Park, Grand Haven area with the Trailmanor. Sorry for steering this thread off topic.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #20
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb Toyota recommends AGAINST off-roading the Hybrid, but it's otherwise nice

POST *EDITED* TO REMOVE ***LIES*** about Toyota Hybrids versus dusty dirt roads.

Denny set me straight on the next page: they say that you shouldn't use the HiHy as an OFF-ROAD vehicle, but they don't say why, and they don't ban dirt roads.

The rest is OK, and I leave unchanged.
- - - -

The 4Runner is built on a FRAME, like a truck, while the Highlander is built as a unibody, like a car. That's a key issue behind Toyota's much lower Tow Rating on the Highlander. Engine-wise, torque is king and the HiHy utterly kills even the V8, because an electric motor provides maximum torque at 0 RPMs (while gas motors have to "rev up" to get into the proper power range.)

But the 4Runner V8 drivetrain is BRUTISHLY strong: The tranny cooler is factory installed, and Toyota is so confident about the temperature management that they don't even have a dipstick or filler to mess with/replace the Tranny fluid-- they intend it as a lifetime, never-replace-the-fluid system. (In spite of Toyota's design, I'll probably do a fluid replacement at 50 or 60K any way.

If you're gonna consider the 4R, I strongly recommend upgrading to a model with the X-REAS passive hydraulic suspension feature: it does an amazing job of smoothing out the ride, and keeping all 4 tires on the ground, when you're going over bumps. That includes both in-town and off-road-- without the X-REAS, you'll always be knowing that you're in an off-road vehicle while you're driving around town.

If it wasn't for the overhang (front and back), this would be the PERFECT off-road vehicle. The overhang does limit approach and departure angles, also the tires not being set real wide (track) limits the tilt which you can handle in comparison with, say, an H3. But the H3 5-cylinder engine is grossly inadequate, I've swapped vehicles on some BLM land with a friend, and he turned sickly green with envy and shame (at having wasted his money on the Hummer) as he quickly realized that the 4R's power made it a better off-roading vehicle than his, even though the H3 is at it's best doing off-road-- it's horribly nasty to drive on the street.

The V8 4R has a towing capacity of 7K, that's serious overkill. In the real world, the short wheelbase is the limiting factor. The V6 has a less capable hitch receiver, it's not bolted to the frame in as many places and it's less "beefy". But at a 5K rating, and Toyota is IMO being very conservative, that's overkill too.

The Highlander is certainly adequate-- and I'll guess that the electrical motors DON'T loose power at altitude, although the gas system will be somewhat affected.

I chose the 4R, because we do mountains. Heck, the thing hardly ever went into 3rd gear along 395, and with 4 valves, the engine is happy to rev pretty high. It didn't have to. Towing a little TM behind the 4R was a non-issue, even through Washoe Valley when the "high winds, trailers not recommended" lights were on. There's lots of semi rollover accidents in that stretch of road, but I was barely even aware that the LOW, STABLE, TM was back there. (I do have WDH and a great brake controller.)

Both are also listed among the top 10 of *ALL* vehicles in the IIHS vehicle death rates publication-- the 4Runner is in second place, just behind the biggest Mercedes Sedan. I'd take the real world statistics over the front and side crash tests. It's too bad that they don't have an update for newer model years, but these are incredibly safe vehicles. The 4R killed a few people in roll-over accidents, while the Highlander/LS300 killed more people in multi-vehicle crashes (weighing less, and being a unibody, the passenger compartment is less strong).

Either of these is more than 5x less likely to leave you dead in a crash than a typical Sedan, Truck, or SUV. Outstanding!

My Summary: The 4Runner has far more towing capacity, but you can do pretty steep grades in the Highlander too. It's really a question of style-- if you can stand the "SUV Look", the 4R comes with more capability, and the suspension is as smooth as a car (a GOOD car.) But it does have that big step up, and you're riding high off the road. If you want less of a "truck" riding stance, get the Highlander.