TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
trail manners

Default Ranger for 3023?

2000, 4.0L, 6 cyl., supercab Ranger 3.55 gear ratio. No transmission cooler or extra radiator capacity. Automatic transmission with overdrive. I suppose 3 gears plus OD; on the gear shift indicator, there are D 2 1. The D is against a circular white background. GVWR 4960, front GAWR 2600, rear GAWR 2750. I do not have the gross combined vehicle weight rating.

There are two of us, 3-4 small bundles of firewood, couple of lawn chairs, ice chest, a few lightweight tools, and app 25 pounds other stuff in the Ranger.

The 1986 TM has the numerals "26" (no other numerals) on the front sides of the unit. But I understand that it is app equivalent to the current 3023. We have the double bed up front and the queen in the rear.

We have a spare tire and A/C. We tow with empty water tank. We have micro-wave, clothes, food, the usual personal and household care items plus app 25-50 pounds miscellaneous in the TM.

If the Ranger is not adequate for this unit, I can consider getting a 2619 or a different TV for this unit.

I have read posts on the Ranger. Thanks for those and any others you would like to offer about my specific situation. Thanks also to Chris for this forum and all of you who offer helpful tips.

Working on my trail manners,

Dan
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Bruce

Default Gcwr

You should be able to get the gross combination weight rating from the manufacturer with your vin #.
I used my gcwr after I had both the trailer and the tv weighed to determine that my Astro van was overloaded with the stock gearing I was running.
Having both your tv and trailer weighed and comparing that sum to the recommended gcwr for your vehicle is the only accurate method to determine towing capacity (or so we were told by the instructor at the A'Weigh We Go course we took at a TM Jubilee).
Old 02-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Boy, I dunno, Dan, it sounds awfully marginal to me.

I'm going to ask the question that I always ask - and that new people never seem to think about. That question is:

WHERE will you tow? Until you answer it, very little else matters.

Please review

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...0541#post10541

for a more long-winded treatise, and get back to us.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
trail manners

Default Thanks for Your Replies

Thanks, Bruce. I've located some scales. I'll chase that GCWR, but I may do it for prospective tow vehicles. I'm leaning away from using the Ranger. I met a guy recently who raised the matter of its width as related to mirror vision and stability. So now I add those matters to the question of power along with TV weight when being pushed down a mountain.

Thanks, Bill. I intended to mention the terrain. Flats and rolling hills with occasional trips to the mountains of NE GA, the Smokies, and Blue Ridge of NC. I don't know the percentage grades encountered in these mountains. The site you referred me to with more info was interesting.

I'm shopping now for a used full-size of the big 3--Ford, Chev, or Dodge. I read today that the long-wheel base is preferred for stability when being pushed around. I'm looking for an ext. cab 8-cyl with 5.2 Dodge, 5.4 Ford, or the app equivalent Chev. (350 cc). I prefer a TV that I can use as a personal vehicle when not towing. I dream (go ahead and say "dream on," it's okay) of also having decent gas mileage.

Do y'all think that's in the ball park for the TM I described? I still haven't nailed down just what it is. When I can pull a tape on it, I'll plan to pass that along. If anybody knows what a 1986 "Trailmanor 26" is, please tell.

I continue to welcome comments, tips, and suggestions. These matters are not my area of expertise, but I'm learning from you and other patient folks.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 03-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
spoutman
Site Sponsor

Default Ranger for 2619

Dan,

I will try to answer a few of your questions:

A Trailmanor 26 should be like todays 3023. I have a 1989 Trailmanor 28 and Jimmy Davis at Trailmanor told me mine was like a 3023 but had an extra 2' cabinet.

As for the tow vehicle, I tow my 89 Trailmanor 28 with my a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 2 wheel drive with a 318 (5.2L) v8 auto with a 3.55 gear ratio. As for mileage I get around 11.75 miles per gallon loaded and towing on the highway (running 72 mph locked in overdrive) on long trips. My 28 weighs in at 4100 lbs loaded with the items I normally keep in the 28 (can goods, tv, microwave, soap, toothpaste etc). I live in a hilly area (Cincinnati) and the Dodge does ok with the 28 on the hills in Cincinnati. The mileage going back and forth to work with the Dodge is not as good as I had hoped. I test towed the 28 with an F150 supercab 4.6 v8 auto and 3.55 gear ratio and I hated it (and I'm a Ford man). The ratios in to auto transmission were too wide for my tastes. I also test towed my 28 with a Toyota Tundra v8 auto 4x4. It had a high 3 (3.90 or 3.92) gear ratio. It was impressive. My best suggestion is double check the rear end ratios and test tow your TM or talk to an rver who has a the truck you are interested in.

I hope this helps.

Goodluck,

Tom
spoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
trail manners

Question Towing My 3023 ???.

Thanks, Tom. I also got the message from Trailmanor that my 1986 "Trailmanor 26" is similar to the 3023. But I pulled a tape (misplaced those measurements, I have to locate a tape and do it again) and it was not those numbers. Where do you pull from/to on the unit to get the numbers?

It sounds as if you are pleased with the performance of your 5.2L/3:55Ram except for non-towing gas mileage. Your towing mileage sounds good to me compared to what I've heard from others.

When you tested the F-150, was your disappointment related to the 4.6L/3:55 (the engine size?) as opposed to the Dodge 5.2L/3:55? I did not pick up what you meant by the following: "The ratios in to auto transmission were too wide for my tastes." A salesman who called me about a 4.6 told me I did not need a 5.4 engine for my TM.

When you tested the Tundra, do you think your favorable impression was related to the 3.90 ratio? Is a 4x4 of significance for on-road towing? I
understand they add weight and add to purchase price. When you say double-check the rear end ratios, do you mean to check for a particular ratio?
Somewhere I've picked up the idea that it may be hard to find two-wheel drive with a higher number gear ratio than 3:55--that 3.73 and higher may be on trucks with 4x4.

I have wondered if I should go beyond a 3:55 to at least 3:73 on the rear end? But then I hear that the 3:55 is okay with an engine in the 5.2 Dodge, 5.3 Chev, or 5.4 Ford ranges. Do you need a higher number gear ratio with a lesser engine and does a bigger engine make a lower number gear ratio more acceptable? I hear that the higher number ratio helps in starting up from a stop and after getting rolling, it does not make that much difference. Can you or someone else speak to that?

Lots of questions above. If someone would like to take a shot at some of them, I'm here.

Thanks.

Dan
Old 03-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Windbreaker

For your application engine size plays a small part. The things you need to be looking at are torque and axle ratio. What ratio will deliver at the top of the torque curve? I know that is most likely calling on math few use but that is what is needed. There are many misconceptions about rear axle ratios. The difference in mpg from a 3.73 to a 4.10 is less than 10%, your AC pulls about 19%. The higher numbered rear ends use slightly more gas but produce much more useable torque where and when it is needed.
Think of doing a curl with a dumb bell. As you move from full extension to full contraction there is a "zone" where the movement requires less effort on your part. That "zone" is what you are looking for in the torque/ratio combination that you select. For example, I got my TV before I educated myself on this and ended up with a 3.73 ratio, my truck is rated to tow 7,500 lbs. but had I selected the 4.10 or 4.30 the tow rating would have jumped to 10K with no other changes.
Also another thing to consider is the addition of a "tow/haul" selection on the transmission. When enguaged this 1) delays shifting between gears and 2) locks out the OD. When not in use shifts very much like a car but when used it help reach those peak torque zone that your looking for. (it may also shift a little harder)
Now being as directed as I can, I know a guy that pulls with the small block F150 3.55 rear end and is just as happy as he can be. He also moved from a 10 year old Astro van. In the end I guess ones happiness depends on ones point of view. I had much prefer to be way over powered than underpowered or just getting by. But then I'm from Texas with lots of wide open spaces and like to say things like, "Hey, Ya'll watch this" while driving.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Windbreaker

One more quick note. I had a 60's something model Ford with a big bore 6 that could tow a 3000 SF house. It's all in the gears.

My suggestion is that you go to the dealer of the truck you like and ask for a spec chart. After spending time with it you will have an "Ah Ha" moment. And you will know what you need.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
spoutman
Site Sponsor

Default Ranger for a 2619

Dan,

Here are my best answers:

I have to locate a tape and do it again) and it was not those numbers. Where do you pull from/to on the unit to get the numbers? If I measure form the longest point on the top sections mine measures 28'.

It sounds as if you are pleased with the performance of your 5.2L/3:55Ram except for non-towing gas mileage. Your towing mileage sounds good to me compared to what I've heard from others. The 11.5 to 11.75 was on long trips approx. 460 miles. I do a little better going back and for to work.

When you tested the F-150, was your disappointment related to the 4.6L/3:55 (the engine size?) as opposed to the Dodge 5.2L/3:55? I did not pick up what you meant by the following: "The ratios in to auto transmission were too wide for my tastes." A salesman who called me about a 4.6 told me I did not need a 5.4 engine for my TM. The 4.6/355 gear seemed to tall to me. The 4.6 really needs to rev. One steep hill by my house the 4.6 has to go all the way back to first gear and really rev near red line to get up the hill. The Toyota ran up the hill in 3rd/2nd gear. The Dodge did it in 2nd gear which I felt was acceptable. Most salespeople will look in a book and tell you what the book said. They have not done any trailer towing. Just don't assume a truck has a gear ratio. Check it against the VIN #or the tag on the rear end.

When you tested the Tundra, do you think your favorable impression was related to the 3.90 ratio? YES!!!
Is a 4x4 of significance for on-road towing? Not in my opinion. It is handy to drop one in 4 low to fit in a tight camping space. But it was a $4400 option on my 95 Ranger. I
understand they add weight and add to purchase price. When you say double-check the rear end ratios, do you mean to check for a particular ratio? Yes see above.
Somewhere I've picked up the idea that it may be hard to find two-wheel drive with a higher number gear ratio than 3:55--that 3.73 and higher may be on trucks with 4x4. Do you homework and check as I said above.

I have wondered if I should go beyond a 3:55 to at least 3:73 on the rear end? If I was ordering a new one I would get at least an 3.73 0r a 3.90
But then I hear that the 3:55 is okay with an engine in the 5.2 Dodge, 5.3 Chev, or 5.4 Ford ranges. Do you need a higher number gear ratio with a lesser engine and does a bigger engine make a lower number gear ratio more acceptable? I hear that the higher number ratio helps in starting up from a stop and after getting rolling, it does not make that much difference. Can you or someone else speak to that? The only way I can try to explain it: Take a multispeed bicycle. Start off and ride up a grade in the lowest gear. Now go up 1 or 2 gears and do the same. It's hard to explain.

A suggestion go to a local dealer when they are closed or look on the net. I know Ford.com publishes the gear ratios on the website links to their local dealers inventory. Look at the window stickers. See if you can find a truck with a 3.55 gear. Then see if you can find a truck with the same engine, transmission and tire size but with a lower gear a 3.73 or higher. Drive both of them on the exact same course. I bet you will feel the difference from a stop, up an hill. etc.

I Hope this helps,

Tom
spoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
trail manners

Default Measurements on My "Trailmanor 26"

I have now pulled a tape on my "Trailmanor 26". It measures 26'5" longest point to longest point in raised position, 22'6" front of tongue to back of bumper, and the box (center section) is 17'1".

I received information from the factory that what I have equates to the current 3023. I have decided that my greatest comfort regarding weight calculation will come from weighing on scales which I have not yet done.

The Ranger is for sale. I have decided to continue looking for a full-size tow truck that I can also use for a personal vehicle.

For some of you who heard me wondering what I have in a Trailmanor, at least now I can share the measurements with you.

Thanks.

Dan