TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If all you're trying to accomplish is to get to Wyoming, not see anything enroute, and not need the TM in Wyoming, then I think I would lean towards hotel if you are doing the trip by yourself, especially considering you are new to campers. I just think the hotel route would be less risky, less frustrating, and would also likely get you there faster since your travel days could be longer and your speed higher. But, it wouldn't be impossible to do in the TM, and as long as you gave yourself plenty of time and had the expectation for some hiccups along the way, you'd be fine.

However, I bet you could find hotels along the way that would take 2 dogs if you did some advance planning, and like you said, not only are gas prices high these days, but so too are fees for campgrounds that are close to interstates -- minimum of $50, and could be as high as $80. Of course, if you're at a public campground (county, state, national), it could easily be far less expensive, around $20 or even free, but those places are not typically close to interstates.

Hotel rooms, meanwhile, along interstates, particularly in relatively sparely populated areas between Indiana and Wyoming, are pretty cheap. Maybe $100? Wouldn't take too much gas to make up the $50 difference just between a hotel and campground. I've traveled cross country in a car (no TM) before with a one dog multiple times and stopping at hotels, and it was easy to do, though that was 20+ years ago.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:21 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In many ways, I tend to agree with Dave. If all you want to do is get to Wyoming fast, there is a lot to be said for hotels. Do you plan to come back? If not - or if not soon (meaning storing the camper for a while), you need to consider the ramifications of that.

My dislike of hotels comes primarily from my experience with them as emergency housing on the road, while the TM was being repaired. There are cheap hotels and there are good hotels, and they are not the same. Rack rates are atrocious, so make advance reservations. They may hassle you about the dogs, and charge an extra fee. And they will put you in the dog-friendly part of the hotel, where the rooms are not particularly clean. (Just my experience.) OTOH, most hotels have a free breakfast of some kind, and won't complain too much if you pack a lunch from the serving area.

Whatever you do, don't shine a UV flashlight around the room. Been there, done that, gagged.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the trip.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
FlyboyTR

Kathy,
I drive from Mobile, AL to Montana every spring and fall. Usually a 24-26 day trip and 4,500 - 5,000 miles. I am attaching a copy of my itinerary. I depart in just a few days, Sept 21st. The map links should be active in the attached PDF. Anyway...If our paths are going to be close, let me know. Cousin Margaret and i would be happy to get in a short visit with you along the way.

Travis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2022 FALL Westward Ho Itinerary.pdf (460.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #14
FlowerPower

I only WISH it was a one-way trip to WY! I'm looking to move out west somewhere and this trip is part of that research.

Re drive time, I figured as much. I need to drive 400 miles per day and with 11-12 hours of daylight, that should be doable with multiple stops. I drive all day for work in the city and highway driving is less stressful so that will help.

I have road service through my car insurance and I've used it a few times and consider it reliable. Had to chuckle re: changing tires, busy roads, etc. I've changed SO MANY tires in my life (I'm 61) because road service took too long or I couldn't get help. So, yep, I'd cuss alot and dodge passing vehicles but can do it if I have to. I need to get a set of safety triangles to set out on the road. Flashers only aren't safe enough in a dark highway situation.

Will get a hard copy of BBOC! Maybe it's my age, but there is something magical about using paper maps or an atlas for a roadtrip. I love technology, but it's just not as fun as poring over a route on an outstretched map.

Great info about reserving campsites, I wondered how people planned en route given all that can happen -- or wanting to stop somewhere unexpected. Walmart is a planned option, if in a pinch.

Bill, I'll never call you Debbie D. lol There's no such thing as being overprepared for a long trip, esp in today's world. Luck only goes so far!
2005 GMC Sierra
And a bunch of working dogs
FlowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
FlowerPower

FlyboyTR, thanks for your itinerary! If I manage to pull this trip off, I may give you all a holler on the road!
2005 GMC Sierra
Old 09-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #16
FlowerPower

Still mulling over hotel v. camping. I suspect the answer will probably be obvious once I get my trip fully laid out with contingency plans. It'll either seem actually doable or actually not.
2005 GMC Sierra
Old 09-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #17
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
FlyboyTR, thanks for your itinerary! If I manage to pull this trip off, I may give you all a holler on the road!
Excellent. Shoot me a PM and I'll share my phone number for texting. Should things work out, text is the easiest way to contact me. Thanks.

Travis
Old 09-13-2022, 11:59 AM   #18
jgilliam1955

We did this in 2020. Look at Thousand Trails yearly membership then upgrade it. You can save a lot of money. Look at AC Soft Start for your Trailer. You can use a smaller generator. I went from 3500 Watt to 2000 watt duel fuel. look up SoftStartRV . They do have a plug & play. Follow the rule 300 miles or 3pm. By 2 or 3 we started calling around for a campground. Thank goodness for the camping.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #19
Gwenne & Len

We 'camped' overnight in our TM the first time we went out west - now we 'hotel it' and buy food once we arrive at our destination. We did minimal set up at night, just enough to be able to cook dinner, sleep and sit down on the couch. It worked fine, although more work, but with your dogs at least you would be able to walk them easily etc. We've found that campsites along major highways tend to not be as booked, but with the number of campers now, I too would recommend making reservations before you go. I make reservations a year ahead of time for premium 'destination' spots - that wouldn't be necessary for travel stops but I'd be sure before I left that I had places to stop.

Have fun!
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:04 AM   #20
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Good advice, Bill.