TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2022, 12:13 AM   #1
mikegascon1

Default Thoughts on solar

I just purchased a, new to me, 2007 3124. I believe it is a KB maybe. It has a couch on one side and a comfy chair on the other side of the table. Is that a KB? I am pretty sure I want to add solar to the trailer. I dont have any experience in this. I have read so many articles on it and threads on the site that I am dizzy with info.

I am thinking of this kit. https://www.renogy.com/new-400-watt-...r-premium-kit/ I didn't really want to spend that much but I believe there is a lot of bang for the buck for that. I bonus of going the kit route is that it is all there. I dont need to piece something together. If someone wants to help me do that, I am all for it. Especially if I can save some money but I need a complete shopping list to do so. Admittedly, I do not have a usage estimate of what I will need in terms of power usage yet. I know I am jumping the gun.
I would typically be using, heater, water pump, toilet, shower, TV in the evenings (maybe) and charging at least 2 phones daily. Add in some lights. (I will convert to all LED ASAP. The lights are already ordered.) Oh and a fan. I do not think I can run my A/C with a solar setup unless I go overboard and spend more on solar than I did the trailer. Most of my time will be off grid with no shore power.

With that said, how does that kit work? I am a tech guy so I would like to have some type of display that shows battery level, how much the solar is putting into batteries, power consumption....

I am still undecided on batteries. It sounds like 2 6V golf cart batteries are the way to go for me. Without breaking the bank, I think that is the correct option.

If any of the solar/power/energy gurus in here could chime in on my thinking, right or wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
mikegascon1

Default Thoughts on solar

I just purchased a, new to me, 2007 3124. I believe it is a KB maybe. It has a couch on one side and a comfy chair on the other side of the table. Is that a KB? I am pretty sure I want to add solar to the trailer. I dont have any experience in this. I have read so many articles on it and threads on the site that I am dizzy with info.

I am thinking of this kit. https://www.renogy.com/new-400-watt-...r-premium-kit/ I didn't really want to spend that much but I believe there is a lot of bang for the buck for that. I bonus of going the kit route is that it is all there. I dont need to piece something together. If someone wants to help me do that, I am all for it. Especially if I can save some money but I need a complete shopping list to do so. Admittedly, I do not have a usage estimate of what I will need in terms of power usage yet. I know I am jumping the gun.
I would typically be using, heater, water pump, toilet, shower, TV in the evenings (maybe) and charging at least 2 phones daily. Add in some lights. (I will convert to all LED ASAP. The lights are already ordered.) Oh and a fan. I do not think I can run my A/C with a solar setup unless I go overboard and spend more on solar than I did the trailer. Most of my time will be off grid with no shore power.

With that said, how does that kit work? I am a tech guy so I would like to have some type of display that shows battery level, how much the solar is putting into batteries, power consumption....

I am still undecided on batteries. It sounds like 2 6V golf cart batteries are the way to go for me. Without breaking the bank, I think that is the correct option.

If any of the solar/power/energy gurus in here could chime in on my thinking, right or wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:10 AM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Split thread from Electrical area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegascon1 View Post
I just purchased a, new to me, 2007 3124....My next topic is solar. I am pretty sure I want to add solar to the trailer. I dont have any experience in this. I have read so many articles on it and threads on the site that I am dizzy with info.

I am thinking of this kit. https://www.renogy.com/new-400-watt-...r-premium-kit/ I didn't really want to spend that much but I believe there is a lot of bang for the buck for that. I bonus of going the kit route is that it is all there. I don't need to piece something together. If someone wants to help me do that, I am all for it. Especially if I can save some money but I need a complete shopping list to do so.
Don't buy that kit, because it includes the "Rover" MPPT Controller. The maximum PV Voltage is probably quite low (they don't even show specifications), and reviews say that it's extremely hard to program. The Renogy panels are pretty good (although some cheaper ones can be had from EBay). Please start a new Thread within "Solar Power", and I'll assist you in creating a shopping list.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

This is the solar set-up that I put on our TM. I went with 200W due to space restrictions on my roof.

General rule of thumb is 1W of solar panel for 1A of battery capacity. If you buy 400W of panels and 205W of batteries (2x Trojan T105 6V golf Cart batteries), you may find that the batteries charge to capacity very quickly and the solar panels are off most of the time. If you go with 100W of solar panel, you may not reach full charge on all but the sunniest of days and little use of furnace, lights etc. 200W seams to be a pretty good balance with ~ 200-225AH of battery capacity.

You may want to try 200W then add to if you find that you need more. It's easy to add to an already existing set up if you start out with a 30A controller.

I have a 2,000W pure sine wave inverter and use it to make coffee in the morning and maybe 5-minutes with the microwave per day. The only exception is if it's cold and I have to run the furnace a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165220905584?var=464776383382
Old 03-16-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
mikegascon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
This is the solar set-up that I put on our TM. I went with 200W due to space restrictions on my roof.

General rule of thumb is 1W of solar panel for 1A of battery capacity. If you buy 400W of panels and 205W of batteries (2x Trojan T105 6V golf Cart batteries), you may find that the batteries charge to capacity very quickly and the solar panels are off most of the time. If you go with 100W of solar panel, you may not reach full charge on all but the sunniest of days and little use of furnace, lights etc. 200W seams to be a pretty good balance with ~ 200-225AH of battery capacity.

You may want to try 200W then add to if you find that you need more. It's easy to add to an already existing set up if you start out with a 30A controller.

I have a 2,000W pure sine wave inverter and use it to make coffee in the morning and maybe 5-minutes with the microwave per day. The only exception is if it's cold and I have to run the furnace a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165220905584?var=464776383382
That system looks good. They are all out of stick, do you remember the cost of the 200W system?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegascon1 View Post
That system looks good. They are all out of stick, do you remember the cost of the 200W system?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Look around on eBay for "RV Solar Panel kit"

Here's one about the same price that I paid. It has everything that you will need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27502568628...3ABFBMhuSY0fJf
Old 03-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Eco-Worthy is a wonderful seller,

But this item offer the panels 2x100 monocrystalline for a let less. the PWM controller is junk, you shouldn't buy it. The panel mounts aren't the best shape for TM, either (their extremly small area will require roof piercings with screws, that's a VERY BAD THING).

Panels alone: $163.68 as a write this, https://www.ebay.com/itm/275170026488

Mounting brackets (get 2 sets): https://www.ebay.com/itm/373976309922

Solar wire: buy from WindyNation, on EBay or Amazon after you figure out how much you will need. You will probably want to buy more wire and cut to exact length, using MC4 connectors.

MPPT Solar controller: Buy a Tracer "BN" with room for expansion. This costly, but could also handle more panels attached on the front shell. You get more power from your panels using n MPPT controller, instead of using a PWM. 200 watts is the dividing line, MPPT becomes a better deal (instead of buying more panels) right around 200-300 watts).
Old 03-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Why isn't this whole Thread within 'Solar Power'? it should be moved.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:28 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
But this item offer the panels 2x100 monocrystalline for a let less. the PWM controller is junk, you shouldn't buy it. The panel mounts aren't the best shape for TM, either (their extremly small area will require roof piercings with screws, that's a VERY BAD THING).

Panels alone: $163.68 as a write this, https://www.ebay.com/itm/275170026488

Mounting brackets (get 2 sets): https://www.ebay.com/itm/373976309922

Solar wire: buy from WindyNation, on EBay or Amazon after you figure out how much you will need. You will probably want to buy more wire and cut to exact length, using MC4 connectors.

MPPT Solar controller: Buy a Tracer "BN" with room for expansion. This costly, but could also handle more panels attached on the front shell. You get more power from your panels using n MPPT controller, instead of using a PWM. 200 watts is the dividing line, MPPT becomes a better deal (instead of buying more panels) right around 200-300 watts).
Not sure how you figure that MPPT controllers are a better deal than buying more panels. I have tested mppt controllers Vs PWM controllers pretty extensively under varying conditions. The batteries will receive a net charge over 24 hrs of just less than 10% more than the less expensive PWM charger. The MPPT controller that you mention is around $200. A 30A PWM controller is around $30. For the difference in price one could buy an additional 200W in solar panels for a 100% increase in production.

As for the panel mounting brackets, the ones in the link above are junk. The kit that I bought came with these brackets. I drilled holes in those rabbit ears that stick up and used self drilling screws to mount to the panels. First I used 3M VHB tape to mount the brackets to the TM roof (no screws). Press the brackets on to the roof as hard as you can for about 20 seconds. Then set the panels on the brackets and insert the self drilling screws.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28429290508...MAAOSw00thQx2e

Having said that, I have an off-grid solar rack for my shop of 4500W. That array has an MPPT controller. The benefit is pretty much a wash from buying more panels but my rack won't handle more.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Why isn't this whole Thread within 'Solar Power'? it should be moved.
Not correct. The initial post was proper under Electrical. The thread then gravitated to solar. The thread needs to be split, and I will do it when I get a moment - tomorrow, with any luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote