TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
smurfe

Default Nissan Xterra

Hi all, I am researching the TrailManors. I have a 2003 Nissan Xterra with the v-6 and the factory tow package. Any owners out there use this vehicle to tow? I was looking at the 2700 models. Any info appreciated

thanks

Smurfe ;D
Old 07-19-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
ccc6588

Default Re:Nissan Xterra

If you have the 6 cylinder model, then you should have the same towing capacity as my Pathfinder (170 hp with 200 ft-lb). Mine does just fine on level roads for a 3023. As matter of fact, the TM tows very easily and nicely on level roads and small hills. I don't have any additional towing equipment such as weight distribution or sway bar.

My 3023 is actually lighter than some 2720 so it is probably a good representation for comparison.

I don't know how it would do on a mountain road though which I just inquired about on another topic.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
smurfe

Thanks for the quick reply. My Xterra is rated at 180 HP and 202 ft/lb. Basically the same vehicle as yours, just not as luxurious

I am comparing between the Trailmanors and Hi-Lo's but I think the Hi-Lo's weight will be pushing the capabilities of my Xterra.

Most of my towing would be on flat roads (along the Gulf Coast,) but do have aspirations of traveling to mountainous areas. (Gatlinburg area and New Mexico areas and the such)

I have pretty well ruled out any conventional type travel trailer due to the average 5 mpg stated by other Xterra owners towing their conventional campers

Once again, thanks a bunch

Smurfe ;D
Old 07-20-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
ccc6588

I agree that the Hi-Lo is too heavy for the Xterra. I think you will be do just fine with the 2720 TM. I now leave the overdrive off when towing and I estimate that I get about 15 mpg traveling about 65 mph. My TM was not perfect, but I've had no complaints about the towing. It tows very well.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:19 AM   #5
TKB

I tow my 2004 3023 with a Nissan Frontier that has the same engine as your Xterra. I camp alot in the White Mnts and have not had any problems towing it in those areas. They aren't the biggest Mnts but there are some steep assents. I also tow with overdrive off.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
ccc6588

Thanks. Since I have a Pathfinder (same engine), I may give the mountain a try.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:51 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

[quote author=smurfe link=board=20;threadid=2157;start=msg14963#msg1496 3 date=1090290659]Most of my towing would be on flat roads (along the Gulf Coast,) but do have aspirations of traveling to mountainous areas. (Gatlinburg area and New Mexico areas and the such)
Smurfe[/quote]If you don't mind, keep track of your results and let us know.

TKB wrote about towing in the White Mountains. I lived in NH for almost 30 years. I love the White Mtns, and have taken our TM there on several occasions. There are some steep grades, in fact, but the thing to remember is that there is no real altitude in the east. The mountains run from sea level to perhaps 5000 feet - it is hard to get much higher than that, and you probably won't tow your TM to any altitude much above 4000 feet. By contrast, in the Rockies, Sierras, etc, the mountains may present about the same altitude gain, but you may tow from 7,000 up to 10,000 feet.

Altitude is a killer for naturally-aspirated (non-supercharged) engines - there just isn't enough air for them to breathe right. I was very surprised at how badly it affected the performance of my Explorer. Gatlinburg won't have much altitude, either - but depending on where you go in New Mexico, you might encounter some. This doesn't mean you can't go - but just keep it in mind, as part of your trip planning, and don't plan to push too hard.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote