TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Marklee

Default Problem closing the rear shell

Just a quick question. Opening isn't an issue for me, but closing is impossible (by myself). If my husband were sick or unable to help, I'd like to be able to close.

My problem is closing the rear, making it latch.

1. If I were to lower the tongue, would that help the back portion settle down?

2. I'm short - 5'. Is that a factor? (and 70, so strength isn't my thing)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Diana
Tacoma 4 X 4
Marklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In theory, it doesn't matter which side you try to close first. In practice, it sometimes does. Have you tried to close it by getting the whole shell down almost far enough, then trying to finish by stepping into the loop on the side you don't usually start with?

As you try to close it, what happens? Do you have trouble getting the top down to the level where it should latch? Or does it get far enough down, but still won't snap into the latch?

Do you have anything soft, like a fluffy quilt or mattress topper., on the rear bed? When you try to close the rear shell, remember that because the roof is crowned, the edges close down tighter than the center. A clearance that looks fine in the center may not be great at the edges. A good test is to take everything off the rear bed, then try to close it. Any difference?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb It's probably your lower body weight, combined with incorrect torsion bar adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklee View Post
Just a quick question, since this string is about opening the TM. Opening isn't an issue for me, but closing is impossible (by myself). If my husband were sick or unable to help, I'd like to be able to close.

My problem is closing the rear, making it latch.

1. If I were to lower the tongue, would that help the back portion settle down?

2. I'm short - 5'. Is that a factor? (and 70, so strength isn't my thing)
Are you having trouble pushing forwards and starting the downwards motion? Or - if you get it mostly down, and then have trouble: Does it come to rest too high at BOTH the far rear (off the bumper) and the "middle" end, rest or does it rest too high only above the stirrups and latches at the middle end?

In pushing downwards, lowering the hitch tongue helps much more during the start of the lowering, where the lowered tongue jack helps you push the shell towards the front. It doesn't help so much at the end, when the final motion is nearly vertical.
- - -
If the trouble is at the end, then the problem is not your height - it's your lighter body weight in the stirrups, and slight mis-adjustments (too strong) in one or more of the lift bars.

I think that you live only 30 miles from me. If you want to drive up here with your TM in tow, I'd be happy to work with you in adjusting the tension/strength on your torque bars, while you're parked in front of the house. PM if interested.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
trailbiker

We use a product called Protect All to clean the sides and bag seals of our TM. It cleans and protects the surface and their is less friction between the surfaces. It was recommended by Debbie at MCD in Hyannis. It might help.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

First of all, you want to make sure both sides are coming down equally. If one side comes down slightly more than the other, it tends to bind.

It also helps a lot if two people pull down at the same time on either side.

Some have used a short length of pipe as a lever to help with the last bit.

My rear shell is also very difficult to close. I am going to experiment with adjustments on the torsion bars to see if I can get it to close easier. I'll revisit this later.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
Marklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
In theory, it doesn't matter which side you try to close first. In practice, it sometimes does. Have you tried to close it by getting the whole shell down almost far enough, then trying to finish by stepping into the loop on the side you don't usually start with?

As you try to close it, what happens? Do you have trouble getting the top down to the level where it should latch? Or does it get far enough down, but still won't snap into the latch?

Do you have anything soft, like a fluffy quilt or mattress topper., on the rear bed? When you try to close the rear shell, remember that because the roof is crowned, the edges close down tighter than the center. A clearance that looks fine in the center may not be great at the edges. A good test is to take everything off the rear bed, then try to close it. Any difference?

Bill
Bill, thanks for your ideas. We'll try stepping into the loop on the other side, didn't think about that. The only thing on the bed when we close is a sheet covering it and a flattened air mattress. They seem to clear, but we'll try it without them also. Glad to have these ideas to try. (The weather may suggest we wait a few days!).

Thanks! Really appreciate the ideas.
Tacoma 4 X 4
Old 03-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
Marklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Are you having trouble pushing forwards and starting the downwards motion? Or - if you get it mostly down, and then have trouble: Does it come to rest too high at BOTH the far rear (off the bumper) and the "middle" end, rest or does it rest too high only above the stirrups and latches at the middle end?

In pushing downwards, lowering the hitch tongue helps much more during the start of the lowering, where the lowered tongue jack helps you push the shell towards the front. It doesn't help so much at the end, when the final motion is nearly vertical.
- - -
If the trouble is at the end, then the problem is not your height - it's your lighter body weight in the stirrups, and slight mis-adjustments (too strong) in one or more of the lift bars.

I think that you live only 30 miles from me. If you want to drive up here with your TM in tow, I'd be happy to work with you in adjusting the tension/strength on your torque bars, while you're parked in front of the house. PM if interested.
Larry JB, thanks so much for your replies! Actually, the rear comes down ok, it's just that last shove to lock in place. We had the trailer down in Pomona for adjustments and have only used it once since. Forgot where the name of the RV place, but it's actually owned by the TM inventors son, Scott, so we've heard they're really good at adjustments. We've only used it once since, so I think we'll try everything else before we start adjusting. BUT: We really appreciate your offer to help with adjustments! I'd happily drive 30 or some miles north for your help before I'd be willing to go down to So Cal again! That was horrid driving through Cajon Pass and so on with the trailer.

Also, not sure if both sides come down equally. We usually do it as a team, so neither of us is standing back and watching. We'll check that next time. And maybe we'll try our 'enforcer' from the WDH for the last little bit (LOL).

Again, thanks so much!
Tacoma 4 X 4
Old 03-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Marklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post

- - -

Larry JB, thanks so much for your replies! Actually, the rear comes down ok, it's just that last shove to lock in place. We had the trailer down in Pomona for adjustments and have only used it once since. Forgot where the name of the RV place, but it's actually owned by the TM inventors son, Scott, so we've heard they're really good at adjustments. We've only used it once since, so I think we'll try everything else before we start adjusting. BUT: We really appreciate your offer to help with adjustments! I'd happily drive 30 or some miles north for your help before I'd be willing to go down to So Cal again! That was horrid driving through Cajon Pass and so on with the trailer.

Also, not sure if both sides come down equally. We usually do it as a team, so neither of us is standing back and watching. We'll check that next time. And maybe we'll try our 'enforcer' from the WDH for the last little bit (LOL).

Again, thanks so much!
Tacoma 4 X 4
Old 03-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
Marklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbiker View Post
We use a product called Protect All to clean the sides and bag seals of our TM. It cleans and protects the surface and their is less friction between the surfaces. It was recommended by Debbie at MCD in Hyannis. It might help.
Trail Biker, thanks for sharing the idea of "Protect All". I looked it up and found several product numbers, 62015, 62016 etc. But they all look the same, just different sizes. Does that match what you found? Do you use a spray on?

Thanks!
Tacoma 4 X 4
Old 03-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #10
trailbiker

The bottle I have has a non-aerosol spray on top #62016.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote