TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Default Street side tire failure

I've had my TM for just about 5 years now and have been wondering if I need to replace my tires. I just returned from an awesome trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons with those original tires. I wrestled with replacing them but didn't. I did inspect them and aired them up properly for the long trip.
I was about 26 miles north of Wells NV when it failed. I have to say as badly damaged as this tire was, I had very little; almost no damage to my rig.
I replaced my toilet with a cassette toilet and have no toilet drain line that could get damaged. I do have the Enduro Caravan mover motors installed, but only an end cap is missing. The tire as you can see in the pictures is pretty bad. There are some tire gratings I have to clean off the bathroom area wall, but that's it. I just did a good inspection and will ask a friend to do a double check just to make sure I didn't miss something.
When it failed I was a couple hundred feet from an empty lot off the side of Highway 93. The sun was still up, my friend and I had some minor struggle getting the trailer up high enough to pull of the damaged tire and get the new one on. We had to open the trailer, cause the socket to remove the lug nuts was in the tool kit sitting in the cabinet under the oven. We started just before 6PM and was done getting back on the road at 7:10. We stopped at the first gas station in Wells, checked and service the replacement tire since it has been sitting underneath to TM since it was built. Retorqued the lug nuts and drive the remaining miles home.
I do have some questions that are of concern to me. When we went to break the lug nuts free the wheel was in the air and was spinning. I thought to apply the truck brakes which I would think would stop that wheel from spinning, but it didn't. I tried to apply the brake using the test switches on my truck brake controller and the wheel still spun. This makes me question weather my left side trailer brake is operating properly or my brake controller is operating incorrectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3207.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	16074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3208.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	16075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3217.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	16076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3218.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	16077  
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
I had some minor struggle getting the trailer up high enough to pull of the damaged tire and get the new one on. We had to open the trailer, cause the socket to remove the lug nuts was in the tool kit sitting in the cabinet under the oven.
Oh, my, that was a nasty experience. I'm sure you learned the same lesson that I did years ago. I got a plastic milk crate, loaded it with my "towing stuff", and I carry it in the back of my tow vehicle where it can be easily reached. "Towing stuff" includes a small 4-ton hydraulic jack and handles, a square-drive screwdriver to remove the wheel well covers, a lug wrench, chocks, a cordless drill and 1/4" Allen wrench to crank the stabilizers down, a 12-volt compressor, a few boards - you get the idea. Once burned, twice shy, as they say. BTW, I'm very impressed that your Caravan Mover survived.

Quote:
I do have some questions that are of concern to me. When we went to break the lug nuts free the wheel was in the air and was spinning. I thought to apply the truck brakes which I would think would stop that wheel from spinning, but it didn't.
No, I wouldn't expect it to. Your brake controller is a good inertial one. It works by sensing when the tow vehicle is slowing down, and since your tow vehicle was already stopped, there was nothing to sense. In other words, it does not directly sense the application of the brake pedal - brake controllers haven't done that in many years.

Quote:
I tried to apply the brake using the test switches on my truck brake controller and the wheel still spun. This makes me question weather my left side trailer brake is operating properly or my brake controller is operating incorrectly.
I think this should have worked. Assuming I am right, the problem is far more like to be in the TM under-chassis wiring than anywhere else. This is a good thing, and an easy (though annoying) fix.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

When I do my yearly brake inspection and the tires are of the ground, I pull the emergency brake to put full battery power to the brakes. This is enough for you to crack the lug nuts free.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

That looks like the tread tore completely off the tire and re-enforces the need for a TPMS system. Agree that a 4 year old tire should have been OK unless something happened. My experience is that the street side tire carries the heaviest load particularly if tanks are not empty.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Regarding brakes holding the tire- Remember the voltage/amperage to the brakes does not directly apply the shoes against the drum. It energizes an electromagnet which grabs the front face of the drum. The rotation of the drum tries to spin the magnet, which in turn rotates an S-cam, which in turn applies the shoes to stop the drum. So if the drum isn't rotating, there is no stopping power. In your car when you yank the park brake that cable directly spreads the shoes and wedges them against the drum, holding the car in place.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Good point, Shane. My last paragraph was likely misleading. Thanks.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well sorta. The disconnect can lock a wheel if everything is adjusted properly just is not taking advantage of the servo-action to increase stopping power of a rotating wheel.

Have not tried but suspect it should brake beyond the capacity of a human to turn the wheel by hand and you should hear a sharp "click" when you apply the power.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
BarbaraJ

Default Removing tire marks from wall

Just a little off topic... does anyone have a method for cleaning the blowout tire marks from the wall? I've tried everything I have on hand and nothing works so far. Have not tried Magic Eraser yet. I'm very sensitive to chemical fragrances so try to use natural and unscented as much as possible, but am willing to try whatever works.
By the way, I have been lurking here for a couple of months, and am in awe of all you forum members who are so willing and able to help out with solutions to all our newbie problems. Thankfully, I have a friend who has helped me out with all of my repairs and mods, teaching me along the way. First trip is planned for mid Sept. to the Black Rock Desert with a rock hounding group, so help will be available if I get into trouble!
New to me 2007 2720sl, new Atwood electric tongue jack, swing hitch, new group 31 battery, battery cubby mod with 3/4" plywood floor, battery cutoff switch, 100w Renogy solar suitcase, new propane regulator, new 14" class d tires, new dump valves as a result of blowout on trip home (replaced plumbing from floor flange down, new gaskets in toilet), new Battery Minder.
2005 Toyota 4runner, V8, 4wd
BarbaraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Well I got the TM opened and did find some more minor damage. The cam lock for the water heater was missing, only found the spring inside the compartment. One pocket cover front screw edge broken off. The wheel well cover aft bottom edge missing, and lastly the grated rubber inside the trailer. Most is stuck to the wall and the bathroom curtain. Once it cools some; it's 107 right now; I'll go inside and vacuum as much as possible of the rubber.
Barbara, I will let you know what works for me when I go inside and try to clean the mess up. Not sure if the rubber stains on the curtains will wash away, but I will give it my best shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3222.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	16089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel well cover damage.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	16090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire damage.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	16091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside bathroom wall and curtain.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	16092  
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
BarbaraJ

With that kind of blowout, be VERY glad you didn't have external plumbing. Mine tore off back to the black water slide and cut the gray water pipe off clean. We ended up replacing the plumbing completely, including the floor flange, but it did move the entire thing back a little further from the tire. I'm definitely going to work on a plumbing shield next. That was not a cheap repair, even doing it ourselves. Thank God for friends to help!
New to me 2007 2720sl, new Atwood electric tongue jack, swing hitch, new group 31 battery, battery cubby mod with 3/4" plywood floor, battery cutoff switch, 100w Renogy solar suitcase, new propane regulator, new 14" class d tires, new dump valves as a result of blowout on trip home (replaced plumbing from floor flange down, new gaskets in toilet), new Battery Minder.
2005 Toyota 4runner, V8, 4wd
BarbaraJ is offline   Reply With Quote