TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default Tekonsha Prodigy 3

I know several of you folks out there have the Tekonsha Prodigy 3 brake controller. I just bought one for my TV as I am converting to disc brakes. Until they are installed I need to know what other TM owners set their P3 brake controller box at for their electric brakes. Please just the facts.
Thank You
Froggy
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Tom, it doesn't matter what I set mine at. My trailer weighs a different amount than yours. My TV braking system may send a different voltage through the controller at different levels of braking intensity.

You will have to set yours to your own situation. My controller was set at about 6 with my first trailer and different Grand Cherokee. I now set my controller to about 9 with my newer trailer and newer Grand Cherokee. You must set it for your situation, not follow my settings for my situation.

Good luck! I believe the instructions tell you how to set it for your setup. Probably "Roll slowly, and engage the manual activation switch. If trailer doesn't stop the rig, stop (using TV brakes), adjust controller to higher intensity, and repeat the test. Increase or decrease controller setting until manual activation will stop the rig from a slow roll."

Please read your instructions, but what I wrote above is how I recall it to be, and how I set at the beginning of each trip. I adjust as necessary, if I feel the braking is too intense or too weak as the trip progresses.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #3
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default thanks for the reply

ok got it. I was just concerned that he factory setting was too high at 14. So I will reduce to about 9 and work my way up until my trailer stops the whole rig and then maybe readjust back down a bit if that setting is locking up the brakes. I am sure though this will all change when I get my disc brakes next week. Can't wait.
Froggy
Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Sure seems like 14 is too high. You know what your TV feels like stopping without the trailer on the back. It should feel very similar with the trailer on, when the brake controller is properly adjusted.

The trailer brakes should be stopping the trailer, and the TV brakes should be stopping the TV. Don't want the trailer brakes also stopping the TV, or you will wear-out the trailer brakes more quickly. Don't want the TV doing all the work of stopping the trailer, as then your emergency stops will be much longer. Fine-tune until it feels like the trailer is neither pulling or pushing the TV when brakes are applied.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default boost?

hi ya kids, hi ya

so what setting do you set your boost to?
Froggy
Old 08-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Tom, that's like asking what other folks' trailers weigh, and then assuming that your trailer weighs the same. Apples to oranges.

My old trailer setting was about 5, and my new one is about 9. No way to compare what yours should be to what our settings are. Too many variables. Some will have a lighter setting, some heavier. Set it for your configuration, not ours. This could be the reason no one is telling you what setting they use - each setup is unique, and should not be used to set anyone else's controller.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Tom, that's like asking what other folks' trailers weigh, and then assuming that your trailer weighs the same. Apples to oranges.

My old trailer setting was about 5, and my new one is about 9. No way to compare what yours should be to what our settings are. Too many variables. Some will have a lighter setting, some heavier. Set it for your configuration, not ours. This could be the reason no one is telling you what setting they use - each setup is unique, and should not be used to set anyone else's controller.
Boost, I would just set it for which one best describe your setup. trailer to tv weight

+2 on gain, how the trailer brakes are adjusted will also change how it brakes and the gain you use.

When setting it up drive for at least 1 mile before performing the test for the setup.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default hi ya tentcamper, hi ya

ok...thanks for the information and reply..I think I got the message.

Froggy