TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwantau View Post
Hi Padget, yes you are running on the edge not using a WDH. My TM weights in at 3450 lbs with a tongue weight of 436 lbs measured with a Shureline tongue weight scale, so very accurate. I had a Jeep Liberty before the GC which had the factory package etc. and the same towing capacity as the GC which towed my TM for 2seasons . There is a label on the receiver on both TVs that states that if exceeding 350 lbs to use a WDH with a max tongue weight not to exceed 500 lbs. Having a tow weight of 436 lbs far exceeds the 350 lb warning.
Kwantau,

Good comment. This is exactly the issue most people overlook in the WDH discussion. Everyone wants to talk about the total weight of the trailer, or the amount of drop in the TV, but they totally disregard the allowable weight on the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch failure.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	13213  
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have heard and understood all of the comments. OTOH the Owner's Manual is written by lawyers for clueless people (if you have to ask this is the answer you get).

To me the axle is near its design limit (would expect a 25-50% reserve if I designed it) and have been trying to avoid a lift kit so for two reasons have been avoiding adding any extra load to the axle (I've looked into a 5k axle, is about $770. I already probably have the most expensive 2720SL on the planet (and if you have a 2720 as indicated in your .sig then it is at least 123 lbs lighter than mine. Can also add 40 lbs for the solar panels and 60 lbs since I have 2 GC2 batteries.

This is part of the reason I've held off on a lift kit and may raise an inch rather than 2.5", I do not want to raise the CG.

BTW "My TM weights in at 3450 lbs with a tongue weight of 436 lbs " Is that the actual trailer weight or is it really 3450+436= 3886 lbs ? Full tanks or empty ?

As most know, the TM biases the axle to the rear of the balance point so the tongue is carrying about 13% of the actual. This is unusual, trailers usually aim for 10%.

That said I agree. The best advice is to use a WDH. OTOH I made a personal decision based on a lot of calculations not to add any additional load to the TM axle and in my case the TM tows very well.

ps the receiver is not an issue: XFHP Class IV Receiver Hitch
Old 04-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Quote"BTW "My TM weights in at 3450 lbs with a tongue weight of 436 lbs " Is that the actual trailer weight or is it really 3450+436= 3886 lbs ? Full tanks or empty ? "

That is actual scale weight, axle plus tongue. I travel with about 10 gallons in water tank and toilet charged. TM tows like a dream and I go across the Rockies to Vancouver Island every year at which I cross two mountain passes one at 1440 meters (about 4400 ft.) . Never had any problems with either vehicle. I like the daily comfort and gas mileage plus the great tow capability and gas mileage even when towing.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

OK then the weight on your axle is about 3k and mine is about 3200 with a known tongue of 460. Were your tanks empty ?

Thinking this year I may add a 1" lift (getting a little rubbing with 1" clearance) and see how that works. Just ordered the TM kit but have some 1" channel - two pieces welded together and drilled on each side.

And just for S&G will order one of these. Has anyone ever used one ? Just planning on about a 100 lb setting.

Once I cut the welds, trying different sizes is easy.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #15
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Padget. Yes the tanks where empty but not the hot water tank. I recently changed my WDH to a Anderson hitch. Total weight is about 60 lbs. I had a Blue Ox which was and is a great hitch but the weight of the tow head alone is 96 lbs, never mind the bars and brackets. I was becoming a struggle for this 69 year old geezer. Since my brother, has the same TM as I do, and has used the Anderson for about 3 years and swears by it, I ended up bying one too. What a weight difference and easy to hook up and it tows like a dream. Also easy to install.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Mine was on the scale at 4019 lbs. fully loaded propane, no water in tank but hot water full, two 12 volt batteries, and all my gear.
I don't have the slide either so 2 tons is probably a good bet on most 2720 models going down the road. My tow capacity is 5200 lbs. and I pull great.
No WDH as I too am concerned about weight transfer to TM axle.
Just my opinion, WDH it you feel a need. I sold my WDH recently.........

We all have an opinion

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Shipping weight is about 70 lbs, the same as a Predator generator. But I usually try cheap first particularly since it tows so well without. Hard to beat $170 local. Major question is whether it will interfere with the slide but looks pretty low.

Kwantau: We are the same age & was just up on the roof sealing a skylight. PITA to cure the leaks but wasn't my choice. Just back from a week flagging aircraft at Sun'N'Fun, finding am busier than ever since retiring.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I have heard and understood all of the comments. OTOH the Owner's Manual is written by lawyers for clueless people (if you have to ask this is the answer you get).

To me the axle is near its design limit...
Very interesting, Padgett. One may disregard the rated capacity of the receiver because "lawyers wrote it," but one must pay careful attention to the rated capacity of the axle. Was it different lawyers that wrote that one?
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

One quick point. Here on the forum, we have never had a report of a TM axle failure. This doesn't mean that I advocate overloading, but it is easy to get hypersensitive about the TM axle while overlooking another question that is just as important.

We have a lot of WDH discussions here on the board, and weight transfer to the TM axle always comes up. But very seldom is there any mention of the weight on the rear axle of the tow vehicle. Every vehicle has a spec for the max allowable weight on the rear axle. It is GAWR-R (gross axle weight rating - rear) and is often listed on the paper sticker in the driver's door frame. It is surprisingly easy to exceed this spec. FWIW, I discovered that even with a good WDH properly adjusted, I was exceeding the GAWR-R of my Explorers. If I had dropped the WDH in order to take weight off the TM axle, it would have overloaded the Explorer axle even further.

Padgett and I have had respectful discussion about this topic on occasion. He resists transferring weight to the TM axle, while I resist putting extra weight on the tow vehicle axle. We have agreed to disagree, since as someone pointed out, there is no magic answer. But it would seem wise not to lose track of your tow vehicle's axle while thinking about the TM axle. We agree that at very least, you should weigh your rig, make yourself aware of the weight on all three axles, and perhaps share your findings.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #20
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I agree about no reports about axle failures, thinking tires. Been a few reports here on tire failure connected to the axle.
Just my opinion, and yes on the scale I had each axle weighed.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote