TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Yet another 15" Marathon Issue

On the way back from west Texas on Saturday, started noticing a vibration proportional to speed, and when passing through San Antonio, could really hear a thumping when I was driving by one of those darn concrete walls that sit right on the white line.

So, pulled off into a mall parking lot. Could not see any issue with the tire, but proactively changed it, which made the problem go away.

Took it to the dealer yesterday, he immediately saw a "bump" in it (I still couldn't see it). Going to pick up replacement today.

This tire was bought in 2011 when I installed the lift kit and went to 15" wheels. It has a date code of 2111. It was my spare until October 2014 when I put it on near Ithaca, New York after the door-side tire exploded. It was run from Ithaca to Vermont, then back to Houston, then a few short trips, then from Houston to west Texas to San Antonio.

I guess it's a age thing? There was hardly any wear. I'll find out what I got on the warranty when I go pick up the new tire today.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill -

Let us know how the warranty thing works out, and ask the manager what kind of store they are. I have found that there are two kinds of Goodyear stores - company-owned, and franchised (privately-owned). The company-owned stores are pretty good about honoring the warranty. The franchised stores NEVER honor the warranty, always blaming the driver for low pressure, high speed, pot holes, curbs, or anything else that cannot be disproved.

It is my biggest gripe with Goodyear. I had a long discussion about it with the forum's now-absent tire guru, WMTire. He confirmed my impression, and also explained why it works that way. Much too long a discussion to repeat here.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Tread seperation like that is one of the things a nylon overlay or cap is supposed to prevent. Good thing you found it in the thumping stage.

Is one reason trailer tires should always be balanced.

Used to be common. Back in the late '70s I had a car that came with Firestone 500s. Not for long. Rarely hear of seperation these days. Wonder if a TPMS would have shown a temperature rise ?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

They gave me $45 off the $135 price of a new one. Which is OK, I guess. But it seemed to be more coming from the store owner, who we have a long business relationship with, than Goodyear. (This is not a Goodyear store but our local tire/mechanic shop).

I'm definitely switching to Maxxis after these new ones go.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

I've seen posts by some folks regarding Carlisle tires (at Discount Tire) and I've been thinking about maybe getting those instead of Maxxis when I replace my tires next Spring. As I understand it, Maxxis will have to be ordered since they're not stocked by any large tire chain. If I'm wrong about that, pls tell me. Thx.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

It sounds like you had a belt break that caused the bulge.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
PeterOC

Bill,
You're always very helpful with good advice. Just thought I'd say that.
PeterOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
On the way back from west Texas on Saturday, started noticing a vibration proportional to speed, and when passing through San Antonio, could really hear a thumping when I was driving by one of those darn concrete walls that sit right on the white line.

So, pulled off into a mall parking lot. Could not see any issue with the tire, but proactively changed it, which made the problem go away.

Took it to the dealer yesterday, he immediately saw a "bump" in it (I still couldn't see it). Going to pick up replacement today.

This tire was bought in 2011 when I installed the lift kit and went to 15" wheels. It has a date code of 2111. It was my spare until October 2014 when I put it on near Ithaca, New York after the door-side tire exploded. It was run from Ithaca to Vermont, then back to Houston, then a few short trips, then from Houston to west Texas to San Antonio.

I guess it's a age thing? There was hardly any wear. I'll find out what I got on the warranty when I go pick up the new tire today.
At the early stage you noticed the tire issue...wonder if a tpms would have picked up a tire temperature disparity...perhaps, but not at that point??
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I wonder that too. My TPMS is old and only shows pressure. (The batteries in the sensors died last year, and I have not replaced them. I am considering getting a new system). When I pulled off to check the tire, the pressure was OK, so even if I had been using my old TPMS, it would not have helped in this case. If I get a new one, I'll get one that shows temperature as well.

The reason I have not replaced it yet, is that my last 3 tire anomalies, did not show any pressure problem. First I had a tire sidewall bubble, pointed out by a passing motorist. Then a sudden tire explosion. Now this. So in none of those cases, would my old TPMS have helped. I am not sure the TPMS is worth the money at this point.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottieMom View Post
I've seen posts by some folks regarding Carlisle tires (at Discount Tire) and I've been thinking about maybe getting those instead of Maxxis when I replace my tires next Spring. As I understand it, Maxxis will have to be ordered since they're not stocked by any large tire chain. If I'm wrong about that, pls tell me. Thx.
I would put stone tires on before I would Carlisle, they are the worst for blow-outs. I put 15" Maxxis on mine 4 years ago, and I am happy as a clam with them. They are good quality, and they were NOT made in China (luck maybe), but I will never run anything but Maxxis.

I bought mine from http://www.performanceplustire.com/t...l-trailer-tire and had them mounted and balanced at our local tire store. Best change I ever made.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote