TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
PortoPoP

Question Tranny temp guage suggestions

1st post (be gentle). 1st Trail Manor (2011yr 2720SD). Haven't even taken it out on the road yet. Figured this topic pertained more to towing than gen maintenance or electrical.

In about a month I will be using a 2010 3.8L Dodge Grand Caravan as the TV to take the camper from NE Texas to Orlando Florida. I have installed a Class III 2" coupler, all of the wiring, weight distribution hitch rated at 1000lb, a Tekonsha Primus electrical braking system and a Derale supplemental transmission cooler.

Now I'm looking to install a transmission fluid temp guage for some added peace of mind. Any suggestions on a brand guage that is appropriate for the aforementioned TV?

P.S. Our first "test run" of using this camper will be in 2 weeks. I'll be using a Dodge Dakota V8 manual with pretty much the same towing setup (maybe minus the weight distribution hitch and obviously no tranny cooler) to take the camper to a recreational RV park appox 20 miles from home.
PortoPoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Both sound just fine as long as you have the factory towing package or equivalent. If following I-10 to I-75 to the turnpike to O'town it is a sea level route and I've towed a lot more with a lot less.

Does the Dakota trans have the same super granny low as a Wrangler ? If so NP.

Back in the day when there were no lockup auto trans, towing temps got high enough for additional cooling. This century the trans in my Jeep stays in lockup most of the time . I have yet to see over 185F (heep has a dash dsplay) trans temp even when towing my TM on a hot Florida day at 65mph cruise.

Have never tried because I have the dash display (does the Caravan have an EVIC ? Some 2010's did.) but suspect Torque Pro can be tweaked to display the trans temp on a smart phone.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Willyb

My first post. I would be interested in hearing comments from those that have been using a Bluetooth/smartphone type monitor for monitoring engine temps and etc.. Thanks
Old 06-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have two OBD-II cars and both have OBD-BT dongles I just leave in place. The hard part is monitoring the trans temp since that is not a standard code. My Jeep has it on the dash.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
klpauba

I use Torque on my Android phone and I'm able to read my tranny temp using a dongle. I picked up a <$25 dongle and it works great.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Many folks use a Scan Gauge or an Aeroforce Interceptor. Two advantages. First, it is permanently mounted, so you can see it at all times without finding your phone. And second, it will read out several other user-selected pieces of information (out of a field of about 40 possibilities), most of which are unavailable to you. Kind of expensive new, but like TMs, substantially lower for used units.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

In my TV I use a tablet.

What code do you use with Torque to display the trans temp ?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
PeterOC

Default UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool

I have a vehicle which was difficult to find an OBDII tool which supported "Transmission Temperature". You're Chrysler should be easier to find a tool: Torque (Android), ScanGuage (tried and true), others. However, for my Honda Odyssey, I used "Ultraguage." I looked and looked online, and not until 2014 did someone find/make a scantool for Honda's which had Transmission Temperature. I almost installed a sensor with a dial back to my dashboard, but I'm glad I waited.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

It's a nice piece-of-mind to know how hot your running.
PeterOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

The other thing I would consider is flushing teh transmission fluid if it has not been done for a while. If there is a synthetic fluid, I would use it.

Both my ODBII scanners (autoxray 6000 and Torque) worked on my old TV, which was the same manufacture. My new TV they don't work. I think the new TV must be using a CAN bus.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote