TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Thank you but none of the above. I travelled to Cassleberry and bought the tires premounted so could check the tire dates before purchase. Just didn't occur to me to check the wheel load capacity until I got home and used a magnifying glass on the wheel sticker.

My research has shown that the wheels were supposed to be higher capacity 15x6" rims instead of the lower capacity 15x5". What I do not know is whether other assemblies were also built with the wrong wheels and that eTrailer appears to sell the same combo.

Am considering a report to NHTSA but now have involved Norther Tool (retail seller), martin wheel (people who put the tire and rim together), and Dexstar wheel (who manufactured the wheel).

Since all this came together late Friday, thought I would wait until Monday to see what the response is. The fact that the store is on the other side of the metroplex and in a different county entirely is why I just did not return them.

I would also prefer that no-one here buys the same assembly and has one fail on the road.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Contacted Northern Tool, Dexstar Wheel, and Martin Wheel so all now have the issue on record. Have returned the original assemblies and suggested to the store manager to mark as defective and showed why.

Did what I probably should have done in the first place (only defense is that have bought smaller trailer tires at NT before with no issues) and went to a local tire chain and bought the right wheels and tires with them mounting and balancing. Was even slightly less expensive.

So now have correct 15x6 wheels (is in the rim so can check but may need a strong light) and ST205/75R15 (65 mph) LRD tires that were also balanced and have high pressure tire stems. Did verify the tires have a nylon overlay and not just caps.

I am a little concerned that one new wheel/tire took 5 ounces of weight to balance so going to keep a close eye on it for a while.

So next step is to add a 1/4 turn to the torsion bars so it does not take a major grunt to raise. And replace the fasteners with stainless. And add the rear view camera. And...

"TrailManor: not just a camper but a hobby and a learning experience as well."
Old 05-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #23
TM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I am a little concerned that one new wheel/tire took 5 ounces of weight to balance so going to keep a close eye on it for a while.
I used to work at a gas station in high school. When a tire took an excessive amount of weight to balance out, I would unseat the tire and rotate it about 1/4 turn. That technique can reduce the weight significantly. Sometimes it took 2-3 attempts to find the sweet spot. Did your local tire chain attempt this? If not and if it is a big enough concern, have them try doing this. I never liked having big single weights on my wheels. If that big weight gets thrown, that's a big vibration.

Glad to hear that you now have a correctly matched wheel/tire combo. What brand tires did you get and what were the date codes? Did you buy a spare?

If you have less than 3" between the top of your new tires and the wheel well, then keep a close eye on the wheel wells too! Don't want any rubbing of the tires on the wheel wells when you hit those potholes. Measure it after you have the TM loaded with gear for towing. If it is 2" or less, I would install the lift kit.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #24
Padgett
TrailManor Master

a) Towmax STRs (I know but has all of the right specs including the nylon overlay.
b) one original tire is a 2010, that will become the spare. Just intended for temporary/slower
old tire clearance measured 2 1/2", these are 1/4" closer so should still be over 2". Personally would rather change to a 5,000 lb axle than raise the coach, is slightly below the roofline of the TV and want to keep it that way.
c) were 4513 so about 6 months old. Marginal for me but a slow boat.
d) I'll ask them to do the rotation trick, have not put on coach yet. Is three big weights, two on one side and one on other. At least they got that right but still concerned that 5 oz. is A Lot.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #25
TM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
a) Towmax STRs (I know but has all of the right specs including the nylon overlay.
You got me curious about whether my 8-ply Maxxis M8008 ST205/75R15 had the nylon overlay. So...

From Maxxis' website: Full nylon cap available in selected sizes for improved uniformity and durability.
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-1...t-radial-m8008

I inquired as to whether my size tire had the full nylon cap. So I emailed Maxxis and here is their response:

Bruce,
The ST205/75R15 M8008 features a jointless spiral-wound nylon cap ply. The casing body is 2 plies of polyester. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
RideControl by Air Lift
Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #26
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I had the one rebalanced and while weight is not much less 4 oz rather than 5, it seels to be following the wheel rather than the tire. Will just put on door side and keep a close eye.

Tire shop only put 45 lbs in them, will bump to 60 which should be about right for the load.

See here for more than you wanted to know about caps and overlays. Apparently there are two kinds of cap: strips and belts where an overlay is an entire belt or ply. This is getting even more confusing.

Regardless, I *think* this is what you want to see:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plies.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	9810  
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #27
TM Pilot

The sidewall of my Maxxis M8008 states the same:
Tread: 2 Polyester+2 Steel+1 Nylon;
Sidewall: 2 Polyester.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
RideControl by Air Lift
Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #28
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Installed the tires this afternoon and fit fine but only about 2" clearance on the top to the wheel well liner. Is this enough ? If not how much does the factory lift kit raise the coach ? I would not want more than an inch & would rather raise the wheel well liner. YWTK.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #29
TM Pilot

2" clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well is borderline. I would recommend the lift kit. The factory lift kit will raise the coach 2". I'm not sure if raising the wheel well liner is even feasible.

I also would have had only 2" clearance after I upgraded to 15" wheels/tires on my TM2619. So I had the lift kit installed (I was not comfortable with only 2"). The particular lift kit I had installed was 2.5" so now I have 4.5" of clearance.

Not only is the added height good for the tire & wheel well, but also the equipment under the trailer. My rear driver's side scissor jack was bent by the previous owner who probably scraped it on a dip in the road. I straightened it out in the vise. Newer TM's sit higher off the ground that our older model years. There are good reasons why the newer models are now made that way from the factory and that they designed a lift kit for older model. If storing in a garage is an issue, make sure it will clear the top of the garage if you have an A/C unit and want the lift kit installed.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
RideControl by Air Lift
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #30
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Anyone make a 1" lift kit ? If not does anyone have the dimensions of the factory kit. It does seem odd to raise the whole coach instead of a spacer for the wheel well.

I do not plan to go anywhere I would not take my Vixen and like to lower CGs not raise them.